1. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    10 Nov '06 11:05
    I'm just curious, how many Christians here believe in the devil and Hell, etc...

Personally i find the idea a little silly (sorry, don't want to pour scorn on Religion, but this interpretation of what happens to bad people when they die just strikes me as a little medieval)

What are peoples thoughts? If you choose not to believe in the Devil, yet you are still religious and believe in God, what are your views on Heaven? Must a rational person also discount Heaven as a reality also once Hell has been dropped?
  2. Joined
    21 Dec '05
    Moves
    10 Nov '06 11:09
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    I'm just curious, how many Christians here believe in the devil and Hell, etc...

Personally i find the idea a little silly (sorry, don't want to pour scorn on Religion, but this interpretation of what happens to bad people when they die just strikes me as a little medieval)

What are peoples thoughts? If you choose not to believe in the Devil, yet y ...[text shortened]... ven? Must a rational person also discount Heaven as a reality also once Hell has been dropped?
    I don't think that you can have one without the other.

As an atheist, the god squad would say that I'm condemned to hell.

Hope so, if they're going to heaven. Can a soul "die" from boredom?
  3. Jo'Burg South Africa
    Moves
    10 Nov '06 14:29
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb

What are peoples thoughts? If you choose not to believe in the Devil, yet y ...[text shortened]... ven? Must a rational person also discount Heaven as a reality also once Hell has been dropped?
    I believe in the Bible. Thus everything it says, I believe.

It is so strange to find the idea that someone doesnt believe in God. It is weird how this all works. I just see God in everything 😉
  4. Joined
    21 Dec '05
    Moves
    10 Nov '06 14:49
    Originally posted by Nicksten

It is so strange to find the idea that someone doesnt believe in God. It is weird how this all works. I just see God in everything 😉
    That's nice - do you see him in war, disease, famine?
  5. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    10 Nov '06 16:12
    I think it is very effective to take the time to read the New Testament. Three chapters a day until one is finished.

It is good to forget what one has heard and forget one's pre-assumptions and read through.

Often I get the impression that the inquisitor has not done much reading of the document for him or herself.

I don't want to be filled with second hand concepts from religious liturature, movies, cartoons, sermons which may or may not have been good and accurate, when coming to the Bible.

Nothing beats taking time out before one leaves this earth, to read through for oneself the New Testament.
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    10 Nov '06 16:28
    Originally posted by jaywill
    I think it is very effective to take the time to read the New Testament. Three chapters a day until one is finished.

It is good to forget what one has heard and forget one's pre-assumptions and read through.

Often I get the impression that the inquisitor has not done much reading of the document for him or herself.

I don't want to be filled with s ...[text shortened]... s taking time out before one leaves this earth, to read through for oneself the New Testament.
    But the Old Testament is so embarassing that we'll just skip over that one. Right?
  7. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    10 Nov '06 16:30
    Originally posted by sugiezd
    I don't think that you can have one without the other.

Hope so, if they're going to heaven. Can a soul "die" from boredom?

Who/what exactly is this "god squad"?

Also, how is disbelief in God's existence a sufficient cause for condemnation to hell?
  8. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    10 Nov '06 16:31
    Originally posted by Nicksten

Do you believe that the mustard seed is the smallest of all seeds?
  9. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    10 Nov '06 16:541 edit
    Originally posted by rwingett
    But the Old Testament is so embarassing that we'll just skip over that one. Right?
    Am I suppose to say "Gee, You took the words right out of my mouth?" NOT.

Better yet try three chapter in the Old Testament and one in the New Testament each day. Takes about a year to read the Bible this way.

Why are you so argumentative ???
  10. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    10 Nov '06 17:00
    Am I suppose to say "Gee, You took the words right out of my mouth?" NOT.

Better yet try three chapter in the Old Testament and one in the New Testament each day. Takes about a year to read the Bible this way.

Why are you so argumentative ???
    He said he believes EVERYTHING the bible says. So I asked him if he believed the mustard seed was the smallest seed. Do you?
  11. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    10 Nov '06 17:131 edit
    He said he believes EVERYTHING the bible says. So I asked him if he believed the mustard seed was the smallest seed. Do you?yEP
    Am I a hyper literalist?

When the Bible says "money solves everything" (somewhere in Proverbs or Ecclesiastes?) do I beleive EVERYTHING in the Bible like a good little Bible thumper would so we can jeer and sneer and feel justified in our unbelief?

Let's put it this way. I like Golden's Mustard on baloney sandwiches real good.
  12. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    11 Nov '06 14:36
    Am I a hyper literalist?

When the Bible says [b]"money solves everything"
    (somewhere in Proverbs or Ecclesiastes?) do I beleive EVERYTHING in the Bible like a good little Bible thumper would so we can jeer and sneer and feel justified in our unbelief?

Let's put it this way. I like Golden's Mustard on baloney sandwiches real good.[/b]
    If the mustard seed is not the smallest of all seeds, as the bible claims, then why should anything else the bible says be taken seriously? How can the bible be taken as being literally true, or as being the word of god, when it contains a obvious falsehood?
  13. Jo'Burg South Africa
    Moves
    11 Nov '06 15:41
    Originally posted by sugiezd
    That's nice - do you see him in war, disease, famine?
    you know that 😉
  14. Jo'Burg South Africa
    Moves
    11 Nov '06 15:43
    Do you believe that the mustard seed is the smallest of all seeds?
    then? it was
    now? i dont know
  15. Jo'Burg South Africa
    Moves
    11 Nov '06 15:54
    If I believe everything the Bible says, it does not mean that cause of the fact that I say that I believe everything the Bible says - that I am forcing anyone to feel or believe what I believe or feel.

It is your own choice to believe in what ever it is you wish to believe in. If I see God in everything, that is what I see - and clearly people who do not believe in God, will not agree with me.

If you see two people in love, I see two people blessed by love from God. I believe love is God, love comes from God and God is love.

Feel free to leave more sarcastic remarks (or as some people refer "positive criticism"😉 😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree