How Many Laws in Rom.7&8?

How Many Laws in Rom.7&8?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
26 Nov 21

@kevin-eleven said
Interesting digression or perhaps misdirection. I haven't written anything about God micromanaging any lives.
You certainly implied it when you wrote this:

<<What's wrong with your post is that you forgot to add "Thy Will Be Done" to indicate that you understand and accept that God has ultimate veto power over your tiny wishes and might have other plans, you petty pipsqueak in God's vast Cosmos.>>

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
26 Nov 21

@kevin-eleven said
There are a lot of English-language translations of the Bible. Which one speaks to you, and why would you question the choice of a translation that helps another?
Because some of the translations are faulty. Do you really think all translations are equal in worth?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
26 Nov 21

In the section how many ways does Paul refer to a or some law ?

Approximately how many is good.

Can you see how the usages of law are related to each other?

Can anyone make a decision which law is the most powerful and the strongest, if such should be the case?

Moves
26 Nov 21

@pb1022 said
You certainly implied it when you wrote this:

<<What's wrong with your post is that you forgot to add "Thy Will Be Done" to indicate that you understand and accept that God has ultimate veto power over your tiny wishes and might have other plans, you petty pipsqueak in God's vast Cosmos.>>
No, you inferred it, and incorrectly I might add. Please don't impute to me views that I don't have.

Moves
26 Nov 21

@pb1022 said
Because some of the translations are faulty. Do you really think all translations are equal in worth?
My question was for @Suzianne. Why are you answering on her behalf?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
26 Nov 21

@pb1022 said
I don’t think God micromanages Christians’ lives. If you do, that’s fine. Christians retain their free will - to what extent, I couldn’t say, but the indwelling of God’s Holy Spirit in a Christian clearly does not mean that Christian no longer sins.
Clearly.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
26 Nov 21

@kevin-eleven said
There are a lot of English-language translations of the Bible. Which one speaks to you, and why would you question the choice of a translation that helps another?
Many translations are different, one from another, and some even purport to showcase their adherents' doctrines after the fact.

Some even go so far as to claim they are God's reclaimed will, as if proclaiming it so, makes it so.

My church recognizes the King James Version as most accurate, and I understand it best, as I have lived most of my life under its authority. It's also been the standard translation for over 400 years.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
26 Nov 21

@kevin-eleven said
No, you inferred it, and incorrectly I might add. Please don't impute to me views that I don't have.
No problem. Just try to be a little clearer.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
26 Nov 21

@kevin-eleven said
My question was for @Suzianne. Why are you answering on her behalf?
Because I had something to contribute.

Isaiah 7:14 is a verse where different translations are extremely significant (virgin vs. young woman.)

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
26 Nov 21

@suzianne said
Many translations are different, one from another, and some even purport to showcase their adherents' doctrines after the fact.

Some even go so far as to claim they are God's reclaimed will, as if proclaiming it so, makes it so.

My church recognizes the King James Version as most accurate, and I understand it best, as I have lived most of my life under its authority. It's also been the standard translation for over 400 years.
The KJV is my favorite version but I don’t like Romans 8:1 in the KJV, and I think most Biblical scholars agree that transcribers appended the last few words onto that verse in the KJV.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
26 Nov 21
5 edits

The KJV is my favorite version but I don’t like Romans 8:1 in the KJV, and I think most Biblical scholars agree that transcribers appended the last few words onto that verse in the KJV.

Romans 8:1-4 though it is latter in the series of verses, is a good place to see THREE different usages of "law" here.

"There is now then no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus. (v.1)

For the "the law of the Spirit of life" has freed me in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and of death. (v.2)

For that which the law [of Moses] could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God, sending His own Son in the likeness of the flesh of sin and concerning sin, condemned sin in the flesh. (v.3)

That the righteous requirement of the law [of Moses] might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the spirit." (v.4)

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
26 Nov 21
1 edit

This kind of analysis It could be done in the others as well, I think. In these 4 verses mention:

1.) "the law of the Spirit of life"
2.) "the law of sin and of death"
3.) "the law" meaning what God gave Moses- commandments and requirements..

"For the law of the Spirit of life" in verse 1 is the law regarding the nature of Jesus Christ Himself, the power of His life which is in the Holy Spirit.

" . . . has freed me from the law of sin and of death." in verse 2 is the law of sin's nature operating automatically in man's fallen body, enslaving him, making him miserable and self condemned not to mention guilty before God's law in the commandments given at Mt. Sinai.

"For that which the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh . . . " in verse 3 refers again to the law of Moses.

Again in verse 4 that law of Moses is mentioned - "That the righteous requirement of the law [of Moses] might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the spirit."

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
28 Nov 21
2 edits

@Suzianne

Thankyou for sharing your personal testimony with us about this.

I started reading RSV. ( My father was a Presbyterian minister. All Bibles were his in the house ).
Then Good News for Modern Man and J B Phillips NT.

Then KJV. As long as any Bible gave me more Jesus, I was happy.
I also read for awhile NAS.

Then I backed up to the 1901 American Standard its precursor.
It has remained a favorite for certain reasons.
I also like Darby's New Translation.

You probably know I use mostly the Recovery Version.
www.recoveryversion.org

Moves
29 Nov 21
4 edits

@suzianne said

I have only done a little research on Bible translations but it was interesting to learn how highly regarded the KJV is as one of the most accurate translations into English, even 400 years later.

It was also interesting to learn that there are some who oppose red-letter Bibles! Apparently there are a small number of places in the original texts where it's not clear where what Jesus says should begin and end, but I would think that in general the words of Jesus should be given primacy or at least some greater level of importance and significance relative to the other contributions.

Moves
29 Nov 21

@sonship said

You probably know I use mostly the Recovery Version.
www.recoveryversion.org
I'll admit that until I checked the website I thought you might have meant one of those recovery (from addiction) bibles that uses an already established translation but with introductions, sidebars, notes, and other material that would be relevant to people who are using Christianity (or at least Bible-study) to help get themselves free of their addictions.

Not sure if such Bibles would be of any help to those who "crave more of Christ," which really just sounds addictive to me. Relax into Christ, that's my advice. He's not an all-you-can-eat buffet. Christ is either omnipresent, or not. People who "crave more of Christ" should learn to accept and appreciate Christ just as He is. Maybe for some He is not filling enough. I don't know the remedy for that situation.