How Many Laws in Rom.7&8?

How Many Laws in Rom.7&8?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
25 Nov 21
3 edits

This thread requires anyone to READ the New Testament book of Romans. (Paul's epistle to the Romans). Especially, read Romans chapter seven and eight.

Question: Can you count the kinds of law there are in those two books IF you notice more than one?

Latter other mentions of law may be remarked on latter.
I will militantly bring back to the OP any diversions or
sidetrackings.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
25 Nov 21
3 edits

Romans 7:1-6 [all copied by hand)

Or are you ignorant, brothers (for I speak to those who know the law), that the law lords it over the man as long as he lives? (v1)

For the married woman is bound by the law of her husband while he is living; but if the husband does, she is discharged from the law regarding her husband. (v.2)

So then if, while the husband is living, she is joined to another man, she will be called an adulteress; but if the husband dies, she is free from the law, so that she is not an adulteress, though she is joined to another man. (v.3)

So then, my brothers, you also have been made dead to the law through the body of Christ so that you might be joined to another, to Him who has been raised from the dead, that we might bear fruit to God. (v.4)

For when we were in the flesh, the passions for sins, which acted through the law, operated in our members to bear fruit to death. (v.5)

But now we have been discharged from the law, having died to that which we were held, so that we serve in newness of spirit and not in oldness of letter." (v.6)

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
25 Nov 21

Romans 7:7-11 [all copied by hand]

What then shall we say? Is the law sin? Absolutely not! But I did not know sin except through the law; for neither did I know coveting, except the law had said, "You shall not covet." (v.7)

But sin, seizing the opportunity through the commandment, worked out in me coveting of every kind; for without the law sin is dead. (v.8)

And I was alive without the law once; but when the commandment came, sin revived and I died. (v.9)

And the commandment, which was unto life, this very commandment was found to me to be unto death. (v.10)

For sin, seizing the opportunity through the commandment, deceived me and through it killed me. (v.11)

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
25 Nov 21
1 edit

Romans 7:12-15 [all copied by hand]

So then the law is holy, and the commandment holy and righteous and good. (v.12)

Did then that which is good become death to me? Absolutely not! But sin did, that it might be shown to be sin by working our death in me through that which is good, that sin through the commandment might become exceedingly sinful. (v.13)

For we know that the law is spiritual; but I am fleshy, sold under sin. (v.14)

For what I work out, I do not acknowledge; for what I will, this I do not practice; but what I hate, this I do. (v.15)

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
25 Nov 21

Romans 7:16-20 [ all copied by hand ]

But if what I do not will, this I do, I agree with the law that it is good. (v.16)

Now then it is no longer I that woerk it out but sin that dwells in me. (v.17)

For I know that in me, that is, in my flesh, nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but to work out the good is not. (v.18)

For I do not do the good which I will; but the evil which I do not will, this I practice. (v.19)

But if what I do not will, this I do, it is no longer I that work it out but sin that dwells in me. (v.20)

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
25 Nov 21

Romans 7:21-25 [all copied by hand]

I find then the law with me who wills to do the good, that is, the evil is present with me. (v.21)

For I delight in the law of God according to the inner man, (v.22)

But I see a different law in my members, warring against the law of my mind and making me a captive to the law of sin which is in my members. (v.23)

Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from the body of this death? (v.24)

Thanks be to God, through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh, the law of sin. (v.25)

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
25 Nov 21

Romans 8:1-6 [all copied by hand]

There is now then no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus. (v.1)

For the law of the Spirit of life has freed me in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death. (v.2)

For that which the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending His own Son in the likeness of the flesh of sin and concerning sin, condemned sin in the flesh, (v.3)

That the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the spirit. (v.4)

For those who are according to the flesh mind the things of the flesh; but those who are according to the spirit, the things of the Spirit. (v.5)

For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the spirit is life and peace. (v.6)

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
25 Nov 21

law is mentioned last in chapter 8 in this section, I think.

Romans 8:7-13 [all copied carefully by hand]

Because the mind set on the flesh is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, for neither can it be. (v.7)

And those who are in the flesh cannot please God. (v.8)

But you are not in the flesh, but in the spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Yet if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not of Him. (v.9)

But if Christ is in you, though the body is dead because of sin, the spirit is life because of righteousness. (v.10)

And if the Spirit of the One who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who indwells you. (v.11)

So then, brothers, we are debtors not to the flesh to live according to the flesh; (v.12)

For if you live according to the flesh, you must die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the practices of the body, you will live. (v.13)

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
25 Nov 21

Auto felapostio

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
25 Nov 21

@divegeester said
Auto felapostio
What’s that mean?

You have a pretty scary looking avatar. Do you think that’s an appropriate avatar for a Christian to have? I’m just asking ‘cause it seems strange 🤷‍♂️

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
26 Nov 21

@sonship said
Romans 7:1-6 [all copied by hand)

Or are you ignorant, brothers (for I speak to those who know the law), that the law lords it over the man as long as he lives? (v1)

For the married woman is bound by the law of her husband while he is living; but if the husband does, she is discharged from the law regarding her husband. (v.2) ...[text shortened]... that which we were held, so that we serve in newness of spirit and not in oldness of letter." (v.6)
Wait, timeout.

Is this from your Recovery Version?

Moves
26 Nov 21

@sonship said
I will militantly bring back to the OP any diversions or sidetrackings.
So what if you do? Paul is not Christ and was never one of the Twelve Apostles. He comes off as a manic, controlling, opportunistic busybody.

Law, shmaw.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
26 Nov 21

@kevin-eleven said
So what if you do? Paul is not Christ and was never one of the Twelve Apostles. He comes off as a manic, controlling, opportunistic busybody.

Law, shmaw.
Paul had a direct encounter with the Resurrected Christ and was chosen by Christ to preach the Gospel to Gentiles. See Acts 9.

Moves
26 Nov 21

@pb1022 said
Paul had a direct encounter with the Resurrected Christ and was chosen by Christ to preach the Gospel to Gentiles. See Acts 9.
One egomaniacal guy's self-report, not confirmed by anyone else.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
26 Nov 21

@kevin-eleven said
One egomaniacal guy's self-report, not confirmed by anyone else.
There were people with him, he was blinded and Jesus told another person that Paul was His chosen vessel for the Gentiles.