1. Standard membermaphia
    drinkk
    south dakota
    Moves
    02 Jun '05 02:13
    hi ya e4effort, don't sweat it, if it's just a notion leave it at that, unless ya plan on entering the priesthood or becoming a monk, or other ordained, gifted spiritual individual, count your blessing and give thanks for the many things you do have, pray for the trouble's of the world, and the many beauties and creations that we are losing everyday, give at your religious domination thats what the collection is for. the prayer's of the collective many are by far more beneficial. "maphia" have a nice week.
  2. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    02 Jun '05 02:18
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Who do you think the single biggest charitable organisation in the world is?

The American Bar Association?😕
    Contributing to politicians doesn't count.
  3. Not Kansas
    Moves
    02 Jun '05 02:32
    Some guy told me that a rich man has as good of a chance to get into Heaven as a hawser passing through the eye of a needle.
    He didn't say how big the needle was though.
  4. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    02 Jun '05 02:44
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Care to try again?
    Wow. This is astoundingly asinine. How proud you must be.

Unfortunately, your argument doesn't sway nor provoke me to respond. Care to try again?
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '04
    Moves
    02 Jun '05 03:091 edit
    Originally posted by e4 effort
    I'm confused by the notion of having money/wealth/possessions and entering the kingdom of heaven. Will god allow me into his sanctuary when instead of ensuring starving children in africa have food i instead bought an mp3 player?
    Shoul ...[text shortened]... ir whilst some people in the world sleep almost naked in the cold?
    When one speaks about other people giving things and maybe some think not enough......tis not in condeming others for not giving enough....

When we give we should not be looking at others to give equal.....or more, you give what you .....give from inside.....and not compare what others give.

Mark 12:40

And Jesus sat over against the treasury, and beheld how the people cast money into the
    treasury: and many that were rich cast in much.

And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing.

For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living.

The woman that gave from her sustenence gave more than people that gave a bigger amount but from their abundance

giving comes from within.....and it's only by giving can we receive....

gil
  6. London
    Moves
    02 Jun '05 03:12
    Originally posted by David C
    Wow. This is astoundingly asinine. How proud you must be.

Unfortunately, your argument doesn't sway nor provoke me to respond. Care to try again?
    Why would I want to sway or provoke you? By your own confession you give neither time nor money to help kids the same age as your son; yet you find plenty of time to have a "bleeding heart" for these kids in "{insert geographical location here}" and plenty of time to take a cheap shot at one the largest organisations in the world that actually does something about the problem. I'm no fan of priestly opulence myself, and I know there is more the Church can do - but at least I don't pontificate from my armchair.

Oh, and most major charities (not just the religious ones) spend less than 10-15% of their funds on administration. You can find their financial statements easily on the web. Now I certainly hope that will sway you a little bit.
  7. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    02 Jun '05 11:34
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    - but at least I don't pontificate from my armchair.
    You don't? So where are you right now? Handing out bibles?

However, I'll grant you...perhaps the anger in my initial post is partially misdirected. As I said from the top:

"I've often despaired over this dilemma."

You seem to have taken it quite personally....to the point of prideful boasting. I'm glad I could provide you with something for your next confession.
  8. London
    Moves
    02 Jun '05 12:242 edits
    Originally posted by David C
    However, I'll grant you...perhaps the anger in my initial post is partially misdirected. As I said from the top:

"I've often despaired over this dilemma."

You seem to have taken it quite personally....to the point of prideful boas ...[text shortened]... glad I could provide you with something for your next confession.
    I know the dilemma you're talking of, but I don't let it stand in my way for one simple reason - even if the administrators swallowed up 99% of the funds they raised, that would still give the needy 1c for every $ I donate that they wouldn't have got otherwise. As a responsible giver, it is my responsibility to search out charities that maximise the benefits for the causes I believe in; but the fact that the poor getting something is better than nothing resolves the dilemma.

And no, I don't think I have done something worth confessing. I wouldn't have brought out the financial info but for the accusations in the latter part of your original post. I am certainly proud of the wide range of charitable activities undertaken by the Church, but I don't see the need to show it except to refute allegations such as the ones in this case. Maybe I over-reacted (and maybe you did too), but I felt double standards were being used and I felt like responding.

All that said, I certainly think you should reconsider your opinion of charities. Many of them are quite well-managed and have wide range of activities.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree