1. Joined
    25 May '05
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 14:01
    I'm confused by the notion of having money/wealth/possessions and entering the kingdom of heaven. Will god allow me into his sanctuary when instead of ensuring starving children in africa have food i instead bought an mp3 player?
    Should i only have enough money to ensure i can live and survive or am i allowed a certain amount of comfort items? Can this be quantified for me. For example, i have more than 2 pairs of jeans, is it a sin to purchase another pair whilst some people in the world sleep almost naked in the cold?
  2. London
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 14:40
    Originally posted by e4 effort
    I'm confused by the notion of having money/wealth/possessions and entering the kingdom of heaven. Will god allow me into his sanctuary when instead of ensuring starving children in africa have food i instead bought an mp3 player?
    Should i only have enough money to ensure i can live and survive or am i allowed a certain amount of comfort items? Can this ...[text shortened]... t a sin to purchase another pair whilst some people in the world sleep almost naked in the cold?
    You won't enter heaven if your net worth is over $326,340 at the time of your death.
  3. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 14:53
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    You won't enter heaven if your net worth is over $326,340 at the time of your death.
    Wooo! I'm Saved!

Um, does the house and car count?

ES
  4. Fear The Cow
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 14:58

Do I have to convert to Rands?

Chakan
  5. London
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 15:04
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Wooo! I'm Saved!

Um, does the house and car count?

ES
    Of course. πŸ˜‰
  6. Joined
    25 May '05
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 15:14
    So God is an accountant.
  7. London
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 15:19
    So God is an accountant.
    The great bean-counter in the sky.
  8. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirateβ„’
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 15:51
    The great bean-counter in the sky.
    You think he's just trying to safe guard Heaven's economy. Make sure no one comes in with a huge investment and buys up to many shares or something?
  9. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 15:56
    I've often despaired over this dilemma. Being the father of a little one, seeing reports of children my son's age dying of malnutrition in the streets of {insert geographic locale} tears my heart out.

What can I do? Money? Merely donating money to to any one of the hundreds of relief organizations would only ensure that a tiny percentage of that donation actually helps those in need. Most of it would simply pay the salaries of the administrators of these "funds".

Time? I don't have it. I cannot drop everything to fly off to Africa and help. I don't have any skills that would be useful to the relief effort, and my family needs me here.

My anger/angst really hit me hard during the non-stop coverage of the recent Death of John Paul II. These so-called Men of God are lavishing in opulent cathedrals, theatrically agonizing over the election of a succesor, their every earthly need attended. Video of hundreds of Roman Catholics on vigil, lighting candles, weeping and sobbing over the death of a man...a single, old man...who has lived a full and rewarding life. Where are their tears for the child dying of hunger and thirst, ignored and unwanted, face down in the street somewhere in Darfur? Sell some of your Gold toilets, Vatican, and help these people. It is what your God commands, is it not? To help those who cannot help themselves?
  10. London
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 16:07
    Originally posted by David C
    What can I do? Money? Merely donating money to to any one of the hundreds of relief organizations would only ensure that a tiny percentage of that donation actually helps those in need. Most of it would simply pay the salaries of the administrators of these "funds".

But how can a charity work without administrators? Money isn't just going to magically fly to Africa, you know.

Time? I don't have it. I cannot drop everything to fly off to Africa and help. I don't have any skills that would be useful to the relief effort, and my family needs me here.

Why not drop everything and fly off to Africa? Will your children starve? Lose their homes and clothing? Most relief efforts simply require a willing body. Do you not have that?

Sorry to be sarcastic, but the "bleeding heart" routine takes us nowhere. We have reasons that we believe justify our not running off to save the world, but at least let us not unjustly criticise the ones who do.

My anger/angst really hit me hard during the non-stop coverage of the recent Death of John Paul II. ... Where are their tears for the child dying of hunger and thirst, ignored and unwanted, face down in the street somewhere in Darfur? Sell some of your Gold toilets, Vatican, and help these people. It is what your God commands, is it not? To help those who cannot help themselves?

Who do you think the single biggest charitable organisation in the world is?
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 16:15
    [b]What can I do? Money? Merely donating money to to any one of the hundreds of relief organizations would only ensure that a tiny percentage of that donation actually helps those in need. Most of it would simply pay the salaries of the administrators of these "funds".

But how can a charity work without ad ...[text shortened]... themselves?[/b]

Who do you think the single biggest charitable organisation in the world is?[/b]

The American Bar Association?πŸ˜•
  12. London
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 16:211 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder

The American Bar Association?πŸ˜•
    If the ABA had figured out a way to prevent Gulf War II, I would've agreed. πŸ™‚
  13. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 17:29
    But how can a charity work without administrators? Money isn't just going to magically fly to Africa, you know.

Why not drop everything and fly off to Africa? Will your children starve? Lose their homes and clothing? Most relief efforts simply require a willing body. Do you not have that?

Sorry to be sarcastic, but the "bleeding heart" routine ...[text shortened]... the ones who do.

Who do you think the single biggest charitable organisation in the world is?[/b]
    You can be as sarcastic and facetious as you like. Doesn't change how I feel.

In response to the question at the end of your post...I dunno. Probably the Red Cross.
  14. London
    Moves
    01 Jun '05 23:21
    You can be as sarcastic and facetious as you like. Doesn't change how I feel.

In response to the question at the end of your post...I dunno. Probably the Red Cross.
    Let's see.

http://www.nptimes.com/Nov04/npt100chart_nov04.pdf

With an annual revenue of $3bn, the American Red Cross is actually the second biggest non-profitable organisation in the US (after the YMCA). Third is Catholic Charities USA with $2.9bn. Add to this the $0.5bn of Catholic Relief Services (a US Bishops' initiative) and the American Church actually generates more funds for charitable operations than the Red Cross. And, just in case you're wondering, the % of expenditure on marketing and administration of both CCUSA and CRS is lower than that of the ARC.

Care to try again?

15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    02 Jun '05 01:43
    Should i only have enough money to ensure i can live and survive or am i allowed a certain amount of comfort items? Can this ...[text shortened]... t a sin to purchase another pair whilst some people in the world sleep almost naked in the cold?
    Wealth has nothing to do with getting saved by Christ, unless you
    love it more than Christ.
    Kelly

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree