1. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    22 Sep '05 15:09
    Originally posted by Redmike
    Seriously?

So a god-botherer posts in a forum asking how often we all go to church and how often we pray, and I can't answer that and explain exactly why, without said god-botherers claiming I'm causing offence?

There is a an old saying "Don't ask questions you don't want to know the answers to".
    Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is a "god-botherer"?
  2. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    22 Sep '05 15:14
    Originally posted by Halitose
    Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is a "god-botherer"?
    It is a term for those people who spend time pestering their imaginary friend. Or bothering god.
  3. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    22 Sep '05 15:17
    It is a term for those people who spend time pestering their imaginary friend. Or bothering god.
    It is a term of contempt, no?
  4. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    22 Sep '05 15:20
    It is a term of contempt, no?
    Contempt is way too strong.

Perhaps a term of ridicule.
  5. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    22 Sep '05 15:21
    Contempt is way too strong.

Perhaps a term of ridicule.
    Ah. Thanks for clearing that up.
  6. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    22 Sep '05 15:40
    Ah. Thanks for clearing that up.
    Yes, we reserve "God-monger" (like "war-monger", excepts with God) to indicate contempt.
  7. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    22 Sep '05 16:24
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Yes, we reserve "God-monger" (like "war-monger", excepts with God) to indicate contempt.
    You are too kind.
  8. Joined
    06 Jul '05
    Moves
    22 Sep '05 22:43
    Zen Buddhist. I'm at the Center every day, because I live there. I'm at practice six mornings a week and evenings a couple of times a week, with the occasional public talk or ceremony thrown in there.
  9. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    23 Sep '05 12:18
    If everybody from Eastern Europe will be recieved like Byba, this site will not have many RHP members coming from that area.

Of course the fact that he is a Christian doesn't have anything to do with the scandalous and shameless reception he has gotten from the usual crowd.
  10. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    23 Sep '05 12:25
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    If everybody from Eastern Europe will be recieved like Byba, this site will not have many RHP members coming from that area.

Of course the fact that he is a Christian doesn't have anything to do with the scandalous and shameless reception he has gotten from the usual crowd.
    I think Byba held his own quite well. Halitose was the one who got the treatment (he can take it). I think Byba got a pretty representative response (equal parts sincerity and ridicule). I hope s/he shows up again.

"Spiritual forum" is a potentially misleading title...
  11. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    23 Sep '05 12:26

What reception? The fact that he's from Eastern Europe is completely irrelevant.

As I said before, people shouldn't ask questions of they don't want them to be answered.
  12. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    23 Sep '05 12:301 edit
    Byba,

I wish you a very warm welcome on this site. It still is the best chess site on the internet. As you have allready noticed there are people here on RHP who are very prejudiced against religious people. Unfortunately you and your fellow Christians have had a lot of experience with such attitudes in the time of the USSR dictatorship. As you can see these people also exist in the West. They consider themselves to be superior to religious people. Please do not think there aren't other more tolerant people on the site. You'll find out who they are if you don't allow these intolerant people to chase you away. I hope you will be posting soon again in the forums.

I myself am an orthodox Roman-Catholic.

Welcome to RHP and I wish you many interesting and entertaining chess games !
  13. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    23 Sep '05 12:42
    Byba,

I wish you a very warm welcome on this site. It still is the best chess site on the internet. As you have allready noticed there are people here on RHP who are very prejudiced against religious people. Unfortunately you and your fellow Christians have had a lot of experience with such attitudes in the time of the USSR dictatorship. As you can see ...[text shortened]... Roman-Catholic.

Byba,

You'll also find that, like the USSR, some people here only want to hear one point of view, their own.
  14. Chernivtsi
    Moves
    24 Sep '05 11:35
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    I think Byba held his own quite well. Halitose was the one who got the treatment (he can take it). I think Byba got a pretty representative response (equal parts sincerity and ridicule). I hope s/he shows up again.

"Spiritual forum" is a potentially misleading title...
    i'm he...

yes i understand and don't affraid to show the real situation in lives of ordinary Christians, whether it's orthodox or catholic.

but here is a problem in to words: orthodox aren't actually orthodox! they were, together with catholic church, orthodox till 1054 year.

i, as christian, always am thinking about starting to be rigtheous: not using offensive, rude words, don't have sectual intercourse with my girlfriend before marriage etc. i always start to do it but not for long time! i'm lazy and it's allready my second nature - habit...
  15. Chernivtsi
    Moves
    24 Sep '05 11:59
    Byba,

I wish you a very warm welcome on this site. It still is the best chess site on the internet. As you have allready noticed there are people here on RHP who are very prejudiced against religious people. Unfortunately you and your fellow Christians have had a lot of experience with such attitudes in the time of the USSR dictatorship. As you can see ...[text shortened]... Roman-Catholic.

i'm not affraid to here from different people such replies. for me it's OK. i know the truth and i have, as you mentioned, good example of my martyrs-compatriots who died (it's better to said were annihilated [destroyed]) by my another compatriots which were the hands of soviet idea.

such negative replies for me are just a signal that my views are the truth that is disliked by many people.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree