1. Maryland
    Moves
    21 Jan '10 02:57
    I wanted a bike. I prayed for a bike. No bike came. I stole a bike. I prayed for forgiveness. I was forgiven.
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    21 Jan '10 03:01
    Originally posted by 667joe
    I wanted a bike. I prayed for a bike. No bike came. I stole a bike. I prayed for forgiveness. I was forgiven.
    And you got a bike out of it.

I imagine a lot of people are thrilled to be a part of that system.

What's it called?
  3. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    21 Jan '10 03:28
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    And you got a bike out of it.

I imagine a lot of people are thrilled to be a part of that system.

What's it called?
    I want a bike but I don't want to steal. Can I have yours?
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    21 Jan '10 03:40
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    I want a bike but I don't want to steal. Can I have yours?
    Maybe. I gotta find out more about how it all works. Sounds too good to be true. But if I can get in and can get more than one bike with this deal, then sure. If it's really good, you should join too. Then you can get your own free stuff.
  5. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    21 Jan '10 06:05
    You were forgiven? Not likely. Logically, if the petition prayer didn't work the first time, it also did not work the second time. You would therefore not be forgiven and to think otherwise would be quite delusional.
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    21 Jan '10 07:42
    Give the bike back.
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    21 Jan '10 08:12
    On the spot.
  8. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    21 Jan '10 08:35
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    On the spot.
    Well, no. See above.
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 Jan '10 08:50
    I saw some female tennis players mother praying in the stands when her daghter was in the tie-break.
    I thought, "Geez shouldn't people be praying for wars to end and children to be fed,etc.?"

I dont pray myself but I dont discount the notion that prayers can help humanity.

There have been some studies done on people meditating in a certain city and the crime rate went down when they did. The article said that the crime rate was lowered by 25% and that this could be predicted from previous studies.
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    21 Jan '10 09:15
    Originally posted by Badwater
    Well, no. See above.
    Well, I recognize too many christians with this philosophy to say that this is on the spot.

- "What have you done for the people in Haiti?"
    - "I've prayed for them."
    - "That's all you've done?"
    - "That's enough."

is another philosophy that are widely used by christians.
  11. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    21 Jan '10 12:21
    Originally posted by Badwater
    You were forgiven? Not likely. Logically, if the petition prayer didn't work the first time, it also did not work the second time. You would therefore not be forgiven and to think otherwise would be quite delusional.
    I disagree...it could be argued actually that he prayed for a bike and "God" , out of love for all his precious humans made it such that some other poor sod could be deprived of their pride and joy by having their bike stolen (say that god tweaked things such that it was easier to steal somehow).
    That the OP didn't get the bike by some means via which he was expecting clearly doesn't mean he didn't finally get the bike.

Thus a theist could argue the prayer was answered first time round.
  12. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    21 Jan '10 12:32
    That's based on an Emo Philips joke -

When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new bike. Then I realised, the Lord doesn’t work that way. So I just stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
  13. Maryland
    Moves
    21 Jan '10 12:53
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    That's based on an Emo Philips joke -

When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new bike. Then I realised, the Lord doesn’t work that way. So I just stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
    Thanks for the correct quote. Credit should be given where credit is due!
  14. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    21 Jan '10 13:35
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    [bThere have been some studies done on people meditating in a certain city and the crime rate went down when they did. The article said that the crime rate was lowered by 25% and that this could be predicted from previous studies.[/b]
    Nonsense. What studies have shown is that when subjects are aware they're being prayed for, there is some benefit to be gained. When subjects are unaware they're being prayed for, there is no impact at all. What this demonstrates is that prayer may be a motivational device for people. It enables them to heal themselves through the power of positive thinking, or some such thing. It also demonstrates that there is no deity interceding on behalf of a petitioner's prayers.

This all comes down to how we should interpret 'god' in the 21st century. Is he (it) a creator deity who intercedes in world affairs, or is he (it) a concept to motivate people to better themselves. In the former interpretation, we sit around and wait for god to act in our behalf. In the latter we use god as a motivational tool to empower us to act in our own behalf. It comes down to whether we passively sit around and wait to be saved, or whether we actively use the inspiration to save ourselves.
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    21 Jan '10 14:50
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Nonsense. What studies have shown is that when subjects are aware they're being prayed for, there is some benefit to be gained. When subjects are unaware they're being prayed for, there is no impact at all. What this demonstrates is that prayer may be a motivational device for people. It enables them to heal themselves through the power of positive thinking ...[text shortened]... around and wait to be saved, or whether we actively use the inspiration to save ourselves.
    Why is it nonsense? I dont quite follow.
    I mean I totally agree with your post but these meditators wern't looking for divine intervention.
    Like you say,"It comes down to whether we passively sit around and wait to be saved, or whether we actively use that inspiration to save ourselves". But there is more than one way to skin a cat ,and whether one is in a passive state or an active state, all positive actions come from positive thoughts and since we all share the One Mind, there is no better or worse ways to go about things. The greatest of all spiritual beings could share the same room with someone who has just scraped in by the skin of their teeth. All that matters is that we are on the same page🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree