1. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    24 Jan '09 21:26
    Last night I was out on the town, and ran into an old friend that I had not seen in years. After a little chit chat about nothing he asked me if I was a fellow Christian or something to that effect. I really did not want to get into this conversation in the middle of a bar screaming to be heard above the band. I told him that I believed in God, but could not call myself a Christian for many reasons. He would not take that as an answer, and wanted to push the question. I did not want to get into a heated discussion about an issue that goes nowhere in that setting.It usually goes nowhere in any setting but never in a noisy bar. He finally told me he would be praying for me, because of my non Christian ideas on things in hopes that I could be Saved somehow. I said good by and left but it really bugs me that some guy thinks he needs to pray for me because I'm not seeing it his way. I find it rude and pompus. I don't see any need to pray for him. What he believes is his deal not mine. I should be looked at the same way. Not someone in need of prayer by the Christian who must have his head screwed on straight.
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    24 Jan '09 22:32
    Originally posted by buckky
    Last night I was out on the town, and ran into an old friend that I had not seen in years. After a little chit chat about nothing he asked me if I was a fellow Christian or something to that effect. I really did not want to get into this conversation in the middle of a bar screaming to be heard above the band. I told him that I believed in God, but could not ...[text shortened]... ay. Not someone in need of prayer by the Christian who must have his head screwed on straight.
    Whats the big deal?
    Just tell the guy that you will pray for him as well. 🙂
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    24 Jan '09 23:34
    Last night I was out on the town, and ran into an old friend that I had not seen in years. After a little chit chat about nothing he asked me if I was a fellow Christian or something to that effect. I really did not want to get into this conversation in the middle of a bar screaming to be heard above the band. I told him that I believed in God, but could not ...[text shortened]... ay. Not someone in need of prayer by the Christian who must have his head screwed on straight.
    sounds perhaps like a modern day Pharisee, oblivious to his own short comings, although there are genuine fellows out there who do mean well, and would pray on your behalf, whether you need it or not. i would take it as a compliment that he feels that you are worthy of intercession by his petitions to God on your behalf!
  4. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    24 Jan '09 23:54
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    sounds perhaps like a modern day Pharisee, oblivious to his own short comings, although there are genuine fellows out there who do mean well, and would pray on your behalf, whether you need it or not. i would take it as a compliment that he feels that you are worthy of intercession by his petitions to God on your behalf!
    I guess your right. I can use all the help I can get.
  5. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    24 Jan '09 23:57
    Everyone needs Prayer, Christian or not.
    You should read the book Bait of Satan.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Jan '09 00:12
    I guess your right. I can use all the help I can get.
    interesting name Buccky, has some Scottish connotations I am sure, perhaps short for Buchanan or something. here it is a colloquial term for buckfast, a rather potent tonic wine made by black friar monks in Devon, the south of England. it has the consistency of strawberry jam and the potency of a fortified wine. Lanarkshire in Scotland is the 'buckky', capital of the world! don't be so hard on yourself, each and every person alive is a sinner, we cannot help it, we are imperfect and make mistakes, the trick is not to practice sin, and for this one truly needs Gods help.
  7. weedhopper
    Moves
    25 Jan '09 01:18
    Christians routinely pray for the salvation of others. Admittedly, it's often for the souls of our friends and relatives who are not Christian for which we do the praying, but we are taught to pray that all come to Christ (even the ones we despise 🙂 )
  8. Break-twitching
    Moves
    25 Jan '09 04:30
    Just curious- was this dude drinking Long Island Ice Teas, and did he have a hooker on each arm? If so, don't worry yourself about this guy. He sounds like a Sunday-go-to-meeting-hypocrite.
  9. Joined
    31 Dec '07
    Moves
    25 Jan '09 09:30
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    Christians routinely pray for the salvation of others. Admittedly, it's often for the souls of our friends and relatives who are not Christian for which we do the praying, but we are taught to pray that all come to Christ (even the ones we despise 🙂 )
    interesting concept seeing that Jesus said "I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me, for they are thine" Who teaches you to pray that all come to Christ, and who taught you to despise people?
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Jan '09 09:43
    I understand how you feel. It appears condesending, is usually counter-productive and is irritating when religious people (and it often tends to be Christians) tell non-Christians stuff like this. 'Zeal without knowledge' i think may be the term.

However, he is an old friend of yours who has been found by Jesus and is a bit over keen to express the newfound peace and joy he no doubt has, so i guess it's up to you if you want to see past the social faux pas and to his motives which I'm sure are genuine and sincere. perhapsd tell him how you feel and give him a chance.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Jan '09 11:50
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I understand how you feel. It appears condesending, is usually counter-productive and is irritating when religious people (and it often tends to be Christians) tell non-Christians stuff like this. 'Zeal without knowledge' i think may be the term.

However, he is an old friend of yours who has been found by Jesus and is a bit over keen to express the ...[text shortened]... ch I'm sure are genuine and sincere. perhapsd tell him how you feel and give him a chance.
    you know, when i was in college, my best friend was a Muslim, Naveed Sarwar. he used to always preach Islam to me. even afterward when i was living away from home he would call and preach Islam over the phone to me, why, because he was really concerned that i was gonna crash and burn in hell. i said that if Mohamed could make up his own religion, then so could i, he thought i was crazy and left me alone!
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    25 Jan '09 12:06
    If I said to a christian that I'll pray satan for his salvatioin, that would be rude, of course. Why not the other way around?

Anyone who says that he thinks right and I think wrong is rude.
  13. weedhopper
    Moves
    26 Jan '09 00:06
    Originally posted by muppyman
    interesting concept seeing that Jesus said "I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me, for they are thine" Who teaches you to pray that all come to Christ, and who taught you to despise people?
    Answer 1 - God.
    Answer 2- The natural man.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Jan '09 06:38
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    If I said to a christian that I'll pray satan for his salvatioin, that would be rude, of course. Why not the other way around?

Anyone who says that he thinks right and I think wrong is rude.
    I disagree. I always think I am right about some things and that other people are wrong. I have no problem saying so and letting other people say the same for themselves. What can be rude is how you go about saying it. I usually do think it is rude for someone to announce that they will pray for me. It is equivalent to me throwing up my hands and saying "you poor deluded, ignorant person, if only we had a better education system!". If someone wishes to pray for me in private that is fine, announcing it to me is a way of deliberately shoving in my face the fact that he feels superior.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Jan '09 11:03
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I disagree. I always think I am right about some things and that other people are wrong. I have no problem saying so and letting other people say the same for themselves. What can be rude is how you go about saying it. I usually do think it is rude for someone to announce that they will pray for me. It is equivalent to me throwing up my hands and saying " ...[text shortened]... nouncing it to me is a way of deliberately shoving in my face the fact that he feels superior.
    Spot on imo. If I could expand a little on that point.

To privately pray for someone who does not know your God, is to show faith in your God and a sincere example of human love. To tell the unbelieving person you are doing it is backhanded conceit and likely to have the opposite effect. Unless the relationhip is such that the person has asked for prayer of course, or is such that the belever feels they can (privately) ask the person if they would like prayer. The latter involves considerable faith and leading as the unbeliever will be looking for a response or resolution to a particular issue.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree