1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 Jan '09 11:57
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I disagree. I always think I am right about some things and that other people are wrong. I have no problem saying so and letting other people say the same for themselves. What can be rude is how you go about saying it. I usually do think it is rude for someone to announce that they will pray for me. It is equivalent to me throwing up my hands and saying " ...[text shortened]... nouncing it to me is a way of deliberately shoving in my face the fact that he feels superior.
    So you agree with me after all. 😉

It *is* rude (in my opinion) for anyone to think he is right and the other one is wrong and shoving his beliefs into another fellow's face?

For me it is very gentle to say: I don't agree with you, but you have every right to believe that.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Jan '09 13:411 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    So you agree with me after all. 😉
    Not quite

It *is* rude (in my opinion) for anyone to think he is right and the other one is wrong and shoving his beliefs into another fellow's face?
    Thinking it is normal (and not rude in my opinion). Even saying it is not rude if put politely enough. Shoving it in someone's face is the rude bit.

For me it is very gentle to say: I don't agree with you, but you have every right to believe that.
    By saying "I don't agree with you" you believe you are right and he is wrong and telling him so, but you are doing it politely. If you were to add on to that "I feel sorry for you in your ignorance" - that would be rude and that is equivalent to saying "I am going to pray for you".
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    26 Jan '09 13:51
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Not quite

[b]It *is* rude (in my opinion) for anyone to think he is right and the other one is wrong and shoving his beliefs into another fellow's face?

Thinking it is normal (and not rude in my opinion). Even saying it is not rude if put politely enough. Shoving it in someone's face is the rude bit.

For me it is very gentle to say: I don't ...[text shortened]... e" - that would be rude and that is equivalent to saying "I am going to pray for you".
    Well, you repeat exactly my opinions. I feel we agree, and that's good enough for me.
  4. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    02 Jul '09 22:12
    Everyone needs prayers so I think it was nice of him to say he would pray for you.
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    03 Jul '09 00:561 edit
    (you have a knack for bringing up poignant subjects daniel..)
    Many times I have been out busking only to have christians (dont know what kind) come up to me and offer their sympathy and then their prayers for me.
    I was quite patient with them,at first, and genuinely wanted to know what I was missing. They seem to imply I was missing something. After a few of them I started to notice a trend: they all seem to pity me despite not knowing me. They all seem to think I was homeless,(when I corrected them they just didn't seem to hear me or thought I was lying).They all seem to think that they had glimpsed God, when I said I too had glimpsed God they just acted like i was full of it. I genuinely believed they had glimpsed God , however weird their practices seemed. Why did they not even grant me the POSSIBILTY that I too had glimpsed God.

Basically this happened 12 or more years ago and I have matured much since then. However in hindsight I honestly dont regret my opinion of the situation at the time. They were just taking up my time (which I gladly gave them) instead of me saying 'no,thats enough. I'm here to make some money and not waste my time listening to your repetitive dribble'
    And yes i do think it gets to the point where its just plain rude.

All this said I do believe these Manic Street Preachers do some good . If only they could hone their skills a bit more...
  6. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    06 Jul '09 12:50
    I agree that street preachers can be a bit extreme, I don't really agree with all the do but maybe they are referring to your home in heaven. I don't doubt though that you could've had a "glimpse of God".
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    22 Jul '09 13:42
    Originally posted by daniel58
    I agree that street preachers can be a bit extreme, I don't really agree with all the do but maybe they are referring to your home in heaven. I don't doubt though that you could've had a "glimpse of God".
    You see , this is what gets me right here- They,(manicstreetpreachers), said exactly the same things,word for word, as what you have said in your posts.

how are they different from you? How are they more 'extreme' than you?
  8. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    22 Jul '09 23:04
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    You see , this is what gets me right here- They,(manicstreetpreachers), said exactly the same things,word for word, as what you have said in your posts.

how are they different from you? How are they more 'extreme' than you?
    How are we the same? How about we are both telling the Truth.
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    22 Jul '09 23:59
    Originally posted by daniel58
    How are we the same? How about we are both telling the Truth.
    Look,I'm not going to get stuck into you too much. You have already taken a battering and to pommel someone into the dirt is somehow unspiritual in my humble opinion.
    Just a question: Do you live 'the Truth' like you talk about it?
    At least your better then them in one sense,ie. you believe me when I tell you I have glimpsed God.
  10. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    23 Jul '09 00:02
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Look,I'm not going to get stuck into you too much. You have already taken a battering and to pommel someone into the dirt is somehow unspiritual in my humble opinion.
    Just a question: Do you live 'the Truth' like you talk about it?
    At least your better then them in one sense,ie. you believe me when I tell you I have glimpsed God.
    I try too.
  11. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    23 Jul '09 05:01
    I think it's rude when different groups come knocking on my door at times. I don't always mind but what can they accomplish? They just want to cram their doctrines or beliefs down my throat. Hand me their tract or magazine. The Mormons at least will meet you somewhere and have discussion with you. I actually had this happen with a J-Dub & we would meet at a local coffee shop. We would go around and around with our bibles out. I would ask about blood transfusions and why J-Dubs could not get them. He cited the O.T. & God's commands about not eating blood. By the way blood transfusions prolonged my Dad's life. Meaningfully prolonged his life. Anyway they always seem to come at the wrong time.

Manny
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    23 Jul '09 06:48
    Originally posted by menace71
    I think it's rude when different groups come knocking on my door at times. I don't always mind but what can they accomplish? They just want to cram their doctrines or beliefs down my throat. Hand me their tract or magazine. The Mormons at least will meet you somewhere and have discussion with you. I actually had this happen with a J-Dub & we would meet at a ...[text shortened]... Meaningfully prolonged his life. Anyway they always seem to come at the wrong time.

Manny
    oh my god!yes! the height of rudeness (b4 we start getting physical)
    I'v just had a couple of visits in the last two weeks!
    I mean I just try to be nice to everyone and invite them in for tea or whatever but it just seems soooo uncomfortable. closed minds preaching to me.
    I think I'm going to have to wise up and politely decline any spiritual talk in the future with these types.
    I do try to look for the positives, I really do! I guess they always seem well-dressed and mannered. Thats good. And their little magazines have nice pictures to cut out.
    Sorry - I'm justing ranting crap now.
    If anyone has a novel way of dealing with these people,(without resorting to violence), I'm all ears!
  13. Joined
    13 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Jul '09 10:52
    I once stood there on the doorstep and politely debated what they were telling me for perhaps an hour, and they eventually made there excuses and left. They never returned. I think they must have put a red mark against my address indicating an address to avoid because their time is better spent elsewhere. anyway, it worked.

I find it annoying that they have the arrogance to think that they have something to tell me but i don't have anything to tell them. They talk and talk but dismiss any alternative viewpoints. Arrogant.
  14. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    23 Jul '09 11:03
    Originally posted by twiceaknight
    I once stood there on the doorstep and politely debated what they were telling me for perhaps an hour, and they eventually made there excuses and left. They never returned. I think they must have put a red mark against my address indicating an address to avoid because their time is better spent elsewhere. anyway, it worked.

I find it annoying that th ...[text shortened]... ave anything to tell them. They talk and talk but dismiss any alternative viewpoints. Arrogant.
    Just tell them you're a gay atheist. It's just the same as telling them you're the Antichrist.
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    23 Jul '09 11:14
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Just tell them you're a gay atheist. It's just the same as telling them you're the Antichrist.
    Ah! now thats the sort of advice I need!
    Now I just have to practice keeping a str8 face when I say it.
    I might go practice in front of the mirror for a while.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree