1. PenTesting
    Moves
    23 Jul '09 11:50
    Originally posted by menace71
    I think it's rude when different groups come knocking on my door at times. I don't always mind but what can they accomplish? They just want to cram their doctrines or beliefs down my throat. Hand me their tract or magazine. The Mormons at least will meet you somewhere and have discussion with you. I actually had this happen with a J-Dub & we would meet at a ...[text shortened]... Meaningfully prolonged his life. Anyway they always seem to come at the wrong time.

Manny
    I simply tell them that I am a believer and Christian and that their mandate from Christ is to preach to and convert non-believers. Then they go .. " .. well we just want to ... ", and I say " Im not interested".
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    23 Jul '09 12:21
    Originally posted by buckky
    Last night I was out on the town, and ran into an old friend that I had not seen in years. After a little chit chat about nothing he asked me if I was a fellow Christian or something to that effect. I really did not want to get into this conversation in the middle of a bar screaming to be heard above the band. I told him that I believed in God, but could not ...[text shortened]... ay. Not someone in need of prayer by the Christian who must have his head screwed on straight.
    I think being rude requires a deliberate attempt to be offensive.

I think a bar scene is a bad place to try to convert.

I think this forum is a better place to try to reason these things out. Of course that requires that the participants in the discussion are sincere and genuine.
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    23 Jul '09 12:42
    Originally posted by josephw
    .. I think a bar scene is a bad place to try to convert..
    MT 11:19 The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners.

For you maybe thats a bad place to convert.
    Christ might disagree.
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    23 Jul '09 12:49
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    MT 11:19 The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners.

Christ might disagree.
    Ok now anyplace might be hard to convert someone if they are not Christ.
    Do people actually get converted? Are they 'converted' or just 'put on the right track'?
    No no, you cant convert people. You have to convert yourself.
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    23 Jul '09 12:501 edit

Christ might disagree.

Do you think this verse implies that Jesus hung out in bars?

The setting from which this verse is taken is culturally specific and doesn't have a modern equivalent. Besides, I don't believe it has to do with the where so much as the what.
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    23 Jul '09 13:00

Do you think this verse implies that Jesus hung out in bars?

The setting from which this verse is taken is culturally specific and doesn't have a modern equivalent. Besides, I don't believe it has to do with the where so much as the what.
    'A friend of publicans and sinners"...
    He certainly did not hang out with the priests and Levites and Pharisees and Saducees.

Christ hung out with and preached to the common people, the farmers, the drunks, the prostitutes.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    23 Jul '09 13:16
    'A friend of publicans and sinners"...
    He certainly did not hang out with the priests and Levites and Pharisees and Saducees.

Christ hung out with and preached to the common people, the farmers, the drunks, the prostitutes.
    "Christ hung out with and preached to the common people, the farmers, the drunks, the prostitutes."

Exactly.

But I don't believe it was in bar scenes. I don't think there is a comparison between where Jesus preached to the common people of that day and where we find ourselves today.

Do you think that if Jesus was born in America thirty years ago and began His public ministry today, that He would go into one of the bars in New York City and preach the Gospel, or would He rather go into public places among the common people? Don't you think that the Pharisees of today would still say the same thing?
  8. Joined
    13 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Jul '09 09:49
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Just tell them you're a gay atheist. It's just the same as telling them you're the Antichrist.
    lol good one!
  9. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    24 Jul '09 20:13
    I think it's rude when different groups come knocking on my door at times. I don't always mind but what can they accomplish? They just want to cram their doctrines or beliefs down my throat. Hand me their tract or magazine. The Mormons at least will meet you somewhere and have discussion with you. I actually had this happen with a J-Dub & we would meet at a ...[text shortened]... Meaningfully prolonged his life. Anyway they always seem to come at the wrong time.

Manny
    Right when it saves someone's life that's good, maybe just try to ignore them, maybe they just think that's what they're supposed to be doing, just like you are, (I hope), you have to respect that.
  10. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    25 Jul '09 04:53
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    oh my god!yes! the height of rudeness (b4 we start getting physical)
    I'v just had a couple of visits in the last two weeks!
    I mean I just try to be nice to everyone and invite them in for tea or whatever but it just seems soooo uncomfortable. closed minds preaching to me.
    I think I'm going to have to wise up and politely decline any spiritual talk i ...[text shortened]... has a novel way of dealing with these people,(without resorting to violence), I'm all ears!
    Sick your Jack Russell Terrier them! Thats what my dad used to do. 😉
    Just kidding or Am I? 🙂 Smoke a bowl with LDSers or Some J-Dubs come on in guys LOL Nahhh I try to be nice it's just pointless is all.

Manny
  11. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    25 Jul '09 05:04
    Yeah Christ would be among the common people Sinners and all. He said I did not come to heal the well but the sick. I don't think Christ would have much use for modern Church or Churches. He would go to the roughest part of a city or town I think then preach His Gospel. He would heal the sick and teach just as he did 2000 years ago. Drug dealers, Pimps Gang Bangers and all. I think if he went into a Church they might very well reject Him Just as the religious folk did before.

Manny
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    25 Jul '09 08:25
    Yeah Christ would be among the common people Sinners and all. He said I did not come to heal the well but the sick. I don't think Christ would have much use for modern Church or Churches. He would go to the roughest part of a city or town I think then preach His Gospel. He would heal the sick and teach just as he did 2000 years said I did not come to heal ...[text shortened]... the sick. I don't think Christ would have much use for modern Church or Churches.

Manny
    "I don't think Christ would have much use for modern Church or Churches."

If you're talking about religious institutions, then I would agree, but the "church" as defined by the Bible isn't something one sees on the side of the road.

The "church", as defined by the Bible, is a "body" made up of all true believers of which Christ is the head.

The "church" is not a building or an institution created by man.
  13. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    25 Jul '09 12:30
    Yeah Christ would be among the common people Sinners and all. He said I did not come to heal the well but the sick. I don't think Christ would have much use for modern Church or Churches. He would go to the roughest part of a city or town I think then preach His Gospel. He would heal the sick and teach just as he did 2000 years ago. Drug dealers, Pimps Gang ...[text shortened]... o a Church they might very well reject Him Just as the religious folk did before.

Manny
    He started The Church, so therefore He has a use for them.
  14. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    26 Jul '09 00:53
    [b]"I don't think Christ would have much use for modern Church or Churches."

If you're talking about religious institutions, then I would agree, but the "church" as defined by the Bible isn't something one sees on the side of the road.

The "church", as defined by the Bible, is a "body" made up of all true believers of which Christ is the head.

The "church" is not a building or an institution created by man.[/b]
    Agreed 🙂 for the most part I mean people playing Churchyianity.

Manny
  15. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    26 Jul '09 00:54
    I don't think He would have a use for the institutions per se.

Manny

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree