1. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    03 Apr '09 18:00
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Lol, very funny, its good to see the patriarchal system has not undergone much change even in modern times! although i did hear that the passover was meant to be eaten standing up, to emphasize the readiness for the exodus. perhaps its an inaccuracy, but its interesting never the less. is it not also true that you are meant to eat unleavened bread ...[text shortened]... e readiness for flight and also 'bitter greens', 'because life had been bitter under slavery!
    standing up? no, that's just what we tell the Jehovah's Witnesses that keep coming to the door ...

as for patriarchy, well I can wave my hand all I like, but the most that gets me from my wife and daughter is a nice wave back ...

the unleavened bread and bitter herb thing is true -- but only my sister-in-law takes any of this the least bit seriously. She was born and raised in Iran in a family that has a Spanish surname and who lived in Iran because her father was a French diplomat. She speaks Farsi, Greek, French, Spanish, Hebrew and maybe one or two other languages. But she conducts a wonderful holiday gathering no matter what the occasion.
  2. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    03 Apr '09 18:03
    So where do all these chocolate eggs and rabbits enter into it?
  3. At the Revolution
    Moves
    03 Apr '09 19:55
    Originally posted by Scriabin
    So where do all these chocolate eggs and rabbits enter into it?
    The rabbits lay chocolate eggs and Jesus comes out! Duh!
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    03 Apr '09 20:19
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Why? Its a requirement of God. End of story. I suspect you will want to know why does God require that. There is no answer.
    An honest and complete answer. Thank you.
    I must point out though that I am now even less likely to even consider believing in Christianity (your version at least) because its central theme is apparently an unknowable mystery. It not only doesn't make any sense but is not really supposed to, you just have to live with it.
    I suspect that some other Christians would not agree with your explanation as most of the one I have talked to act as if it makes sense to them.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    03 Apr '09 20:23
    the only recorded celebration, which despite the plethora of events stolen from pagan pre christian culture which now litter the 'Christian calender',
    As Scriabin has just pointed out, even Easter is largely an event stolen from Pagan pre-Christian culture. And that theft includes not only the eggs and the rabbits but even the name 'Easter'.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Apr '09 22:34
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    As Scriabin has just pointed out, even Easter is largely an event stolen from Pagan pre-Christian culture. And that theft includes not only the eggs and the rabbits but even the name 'Easter'.
    yes, his propensity for stating the obvious overshadows his more inspired moments!😛
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Apr '09 22:481 edit
    Like much of the Christian calendarisation Easter is an incorporation; and originates from the pagan goddess Eostre. Bunnies and eggs are also pagan symbols of life and birth, not Christian in any way.

The purpose of Jesus life and death has nothing to do with these things whatsoever, and his sacrifice was a fulfilment of the the OT Passover stood for; instead of the blood of an unblemished lamb being smeared on the door posts, the blood of the lamb of god is sprinkled on us, to atone for our sins.

I am no scholar or "keenee" Christian, but I fail to see what is confusing in this concept; whether you accept it's efficacy or not.
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    03 Apr '09 22:54
    An honest and complete answer. Thank you.
    I must point out though that I am now even less likely to even consider believing in Christianity (your version at least) because its central theme is apparently an unknowable mystery. It not only doesn't make any sense but is not really supposed to, you just have to live with it.
    I suspect that some other Chris ...[text shortened]... ree with your explanation as most of the one I have talked to act as if it makes sense to them.
    God does what he does. Why ? Who knows? The fact that not all things are crystal clear or easily understandable does not make it any less real. Maybe to you it does. Unfortunately understanding the mystery of Christ and the kingdom is only given to some :

Mark 4:11 And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all these things are done in parables:
    12 That seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest at any time they should be converted, and their sins should be forgiven them.
  9. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    03 Apr '09 23:17
    did I say that?

someone else mentioned matzo and bitter herbs -- whereas Christians, at least here in the USA, get all these colorful boiled eggs, chocolate eggs, rabbits, etc.

Not in the least bit fair, if you ask me. Probably not even Kosher ..

Say, did you know that Coca Cola, at least the coke that is sold ost of the year, is NOT Kosher?

In major metropolitan US markets, therefore, around Passover, bottlers put out a special edition of Coca Cola -- it is in one-liter bottles only and has a yellow cap with Hebrew letters declaring it Kosher.

What makes coke Kosher or not?

Corn syrup or sugar.

I don't recall when it happened, but Coca Cola switched from using sugar to using corn syrup.

corn syrup is not Kosher, I have no idea why or why not.

sugar, however, is Kosher.

So, the point of all this is that those of us who are enthusiastic about the way coke used to taste when we were growing up now wait for Passover and invest in Kosher coke -- because coke sweetened with corn syrup is yucky and coke with sugar in it tastes like we remember it ought to taste.

I just wish it still had the kick the very first Coca Cola had -- since I can't drink alcohol, I've no substitute.

It is hard being stone cold sober all the time.
  10. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    03 Apr '09 23:19
    yes, his propensity for stating the obvious overshadows his more inspired moments!😛
    I made no statement -- I merely asked where the chocolate and the rabbits entered into the picture.

No agenda, I'm as addicted to Cadbury chocolate eggs as the next person.

Far be it from me to want to stop any practice in which chocolate plays a big part.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree