Human Genome Science and God

Human Genome Science and God

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
03 May 13

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
"Who knows, I might even believe in theistic evolution, if it is defined to include my beliefs" - R J Hinds.

Lord have mercy on R J Hinds, Lord have mercy on his soul.
On the linked page, there is a graph showing the 'Percentage who agree that evolution is the best explanation for the origin of human life on earth' for various religions.

Jehovah's Witnesses are at the bottom at 8%, while Hindus and Buddhists are at the top with 80% and 81%, respectively. 'Mainline Protestants' come in at 51%, and 'Total U.S. Population' comes in at 48%.

So it's not a 'wacky' idea. It seems only JW's think so.

rc

Moves
03 May 13
2 edits

Originally posted by Suzianne
On the linked page, there is a graph showing the 'Percentage who agree that evolution is the best explanation for the origin of human life on earth' for various religions.

Jehovah's Witnesses are at the bottom at 8%, while Hindus and Buddhists are at the top with 80% and 81%, respectively. 'Mainline Protestants' come in at 51%, and 'Total U.S. Population' comes in at 48%.

So you have made your own God, so what? I can make snowmen and fairy cakes.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
03 May 13

So you have made your own God, so what?
Why must you put falseness into my mouth? My God is the God of the Bible, the God of Abraham.

One might more correctly say that the JW's have made their own God. They've certainly added to His Word. And/or 'shoe-horned' God into their own theory of God. And you have the 'huevos' to say I have made my own God.

rc

Moves
03 May 13
1 edit

Why must you put falseness into my mouth? My God is the God of the Bible, the God of Abraham.

One might more correctly say that the JW's have made their own God. They've certainly added to His Word. And/or 'shoe-horned' God into their own theory of God. And you have the 'huevos' to say I have made my own God.
sure it is, sure we do. Perhaps you can demonstrate to us the teaching of evolution from scripture.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
03 May 13

Whoa are the 8% of JW's?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
03 May 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Proper Knob
Whoa are the 8% of JW's?
Beats me. Perhaps those who have escaped from the shackles of the WTS, but who still for some reason call themselves JWs. I dunno, I'm just guessing. But you're right. We've not met any of this supposed 8% yet. That's what? Less than 1 in 12? I'll probably never meet one, then.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
03 May 13

sure it is, sure we do. Perhaps you can demonstrate to us the teaching of evolution from scripture.
It's not in scripture. Why? Because it is not germane to the story and purpose of the Bible. Why aren't dinosaurs mentioned? Same reason.

So now have you made the Bible your God? The Bible is just a book. Even though it is our best manual yet for reconciling with God, it's still just a book. It is not God. I'm sure there are plenty of facts not included in this book for the simple fact that we don't NEED to know them. Their exclusion doesn't mean they don't exist.

rc

Moves
03 May 13

It's not in scripture. Why? Because it is not germane to the story and purpose of the Bible. Why aren't dinosaurs mentioned? Same reason.

So now have you made the Bible your God? The Bible is just a book. Even though it is our best manual yet for reconciling with God, it's still just a book. It is not God. I'm sure there are plenty of facts not i ...[text shortened]... ple fact that we don't NEED to know them. Their exclusion doesn't mean they don't exist.
I see, so you bolted it on to your faith, interesting, one wonders what else bolt ons you may have added.

K
Demon Duck

of Doom!

Moves
03 May 13

So RJ is a JW? I bet he's really pleased with that!

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
04 May 13
2 edits

Originally posted by Proper Knob
[quote]As someone who's had the privilege of leading the human genome project, I've had the opportunity to study our own DNA instruction book at a level of detail that was never really possible before. It's also now been possible to compare our DNA with that of many other species. The evidence supporting the idea that all living things are descended from ...[text shortened]... net.com/News/Science-Religion/2006/08/God-Is-Not-Threatened-By-Our-Scientific-Adventures.aspx
I took a look at your reference to what Dr. Collins says about his belief in evolution and his new found Christian faith. I would like for you to look at more of what he said on the matter. Here it is:

"It's also now been possible to compare our DNA with that of many other species. The evidence supporting the idea that all living things are descended from a common ancestor is truly overwhelming.

I would not necessarily wish that to be so, as a Bible-believing Christian. But it is so. It does not serve faith well to try to deny that.

But I have no difficulty putting that together with what I believe as a Christian because I believe that God had a plan to create creatures with whom he could have fellowship, in whom he could inspire [the] moral law, in whom he could infuse the soul, and who he would give free will as a gift for us to make decisions about our own behavior, a gift which we oftentimes utilize to do the wrong thing.

I believe God used the mechanism of evolution to achieve that goal. And while that may seem to us who are limited by this axis of time as a very long, drawn-out process, it wasn't long and drawn-out to God. And it wasn't random to God.

[He] had the plan all along of how that would turn out. There was no ambiguity about that."

It is clear to me now that Dr. Collins does not believe as I do about evilution. This may be because he is such a new Christian that he does not understand the implications of what he is saying in the same way as many others that are members of a Christian church, but with false teachers among them.

It appears at this point he at least believes God is the creator, because his DNA studies had proved to him that microevolution and macroevolution, without a creator, is not the answer, because DNA is the evidence for the intelligent designer. But he has been unable to discard his scientific evolutionary indoctrination entirely, because the evidence seems to strongly support that indoctrination; and he has not been taught the truth by someone that understands that these evidences of a common ancestor are just evidences of a common designer.

He is apparently trying to reconcile the 6 days of creation in the same manner that others do to accommadate the millions and billions of years that evilutionists have indoctrinated him with for so many years of his educational life. I believe suzianne and sonship attempt to do the same thing in different degrees. They all just need more time to be instructed in the truth of God.

From all he says, it is clear he sees the conflict, but he does not want to admit it and just wishes it was not so. He does not know how to truly reconcile his knew knowledge and beliefs with the old that he has been indoctrinated with for so long.

P.S. At least he has not come out and said he believes God created man by evolving him from one of His ape creatures, but his statements could very well be taken to imply that.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
04 May 13

Originally posted by Kepler
So RJ is a JW? I bet he's really pleased with that!
I was not part of that forum, so was never asked the question; and I am a Christian, not a JW.

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
04 May 13

I used to be a Theistic Evolutionist LOL

Manny

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
04 May 13

Originally posted by menace71
I used to be a Theistic Evolutionist LOL

Manny
With all the false teachers today, it is a wonder that you were not once an Evil-lutionist. Ha. 😀

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
04 May 13

Originally posted by RJHinds
I took a look at your reference to what Dr. Collins says about his belief in evolution and his new found Christian faith. I would like for you to look at more of what he said on the matter. Here it is:

[b]"It's also now been possible to compare our DNA with that of many other species. The evidence supporting the idea that all living things are descended ...[text shortened]... m from one of His ape creatures, but his statements could very well be taken to imply that.
He accepts the evidence for evolution not because he is a 'new Christan', but because as he says the evidence is 'overwhelming'. He also states his acceptance of common descent for all life, that would include the notion that humans evolved.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
04 May 13

Originally posted by RJHinds

[b]"It's also now been possible to compare our DNA with that of many other species. The evidence supporting the idea that all living things are descended ...[text shortened]... m from one of His ape creatures, but his statements could very well be taken to imply that.
I find hilarious this idea of yours that Dr Collins has somehow been 'indoctrinated'. Can you elaborate on how you believe this occurred?