Humans are animals, right?

Humans are animals, right?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
11 Aug 09

Originally posted by Jigtie
The python can crush every bone in your body with a hug
A girl in school tried to do that with boys. I didn't like her much...

a

Moves
11 Aug 09

Originally posted by daniel58
No we are more than animals, God made US in His likeness and image, not animals.
There is a school of thought that says we made him in OUR likeness. It made him easier to sell.

F

Moves
11 Aug 09

Originally posted by daniel58
No we are more than animals, God made US in His likeness and image, not animals.
Yes, true, according to christians.
To alligators we're nothing but food.

J

Moves
11 Aug 09
1 edit

Originally posted by FabianFnas
Yes, true, according to christians.
To saltwater crocodiles we're nothing but food.
Exactly! It's all a matter of perspective.

rc

Moves
11 Aug 09
1 edit

Originally posted by black beetle
I had the impression that you posted this article somewhere at the Science forum too, my trusty feer Rabbie;

Anyway, in my opinion the author of this article is a joker: you see, the main point of the theory of the evolution is that the Human and the Ape share a common ancestor -and not that the Ape is the ancestor of the Human or the opposite;
😵
yes beetle, the point being of course, we are unique, or at very least, we have characteristics which distinguish us from all other creations. 😀

J

Moves
11 Aug 09

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
yes beetle, the point being of course, we are unique, or at very least, we have characteristics which distinguish us from all other creations.
As do every animal species.

rc

Moves
11 Aug 09
2 edits

Originally posted by Jigtie
As do every animal species.
yes, its amazing my two rabbits, their propensity for reflecting on the past, learning from their mistakes and guiding and planning their future is superlative. my tropical fish have this amazing ability for the appreciation of art and music, they just love Jimi Hendrix, 1983 a merman i shall be, and would prefer that as a backdrop to the tank i should display a Titian or a Carravagio, something from the renaissance, but with an intellectual appeal. It appears that this conscious stream of thoughts is what binds us all together human and animal and means that as our ancestors were dodging sabre toothed tigers, these qualities came to the fore and reached their zenith in philosophical thinking, physics, mathematics, the arts and music as my pets will readily attest to. Its only a matter of time before they subscribe to RHP.

F

Moves
11 Aug 09
1 edit

yes, its amazing my two rabbits, their propensity for reflecting on the past, learning from their mistakes and guiding and planning their future is superlative. my tropical fish have this amazing ability for the appreciation of art and music, they just love Jimi Hendrix, 1983 a merman i shall be, and would prefer that as a backdrop to the tank i shou ...[text shortened]... play a Titian or a Carravagio, something from the renaissance, but with an intellectual appeal.
Again you are not serious.

I know another Scot doing exactly the same thing. Must be a provincial trait of yours. No wonder you are still under London governement.

Quid pro quo?

(To other readers: I'm quite a nice guy. This is a mirror of his own behaviour earlier. I have the fullest respect to Scotland and their citizens and wish them good luck to their future own ruling whenever they are ready for it.)

rc

Moves
11 Aug 09

Originally posted by FabianFnas
Again you are not serious.

I know another Scot doing exactly the same thing. Must be a provincial trait of yours. No wonder you are still under London governement.

Quid pro quo?
Lol, its not like you to make me laugh, Fabian, but yes, its a national trait, it comes from years of having a rubbish football team and thus not taking ourselves too seriously, less we actually win something. Regardless we, like the Norwegians, shall establish our sovereignty once again, but alas for us, all our oil has been taken! I my self would invite black beetle to be King of Scotland, in the absence of R.J.Fischer.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
11 Aug 09

yes, its amazing my two rabbits, their propensity for reflecting on the past, learning from their mistakes and guiding and planning their future is superlative. my tropical fish have this amazing ability for the appreciation of art and music, they just love Jimi Hendrix, 1983 a merman i shall be, and would prefer that as a backdrop to the tank i sho ...[text shortened]... losophical thinking, physics, mathematics, the arts and music as my pets will readily attest to.
Here's a definition of 'animal' from an online biological dictionary.

A living organism belonging to Kingdom Animalia that possess several characteristics that set them apart from other living things, such as:

(1) being eukaryotic (i.e. the cell contains a membrane-bound nucleus) and usually multicellular (unlike bacteria and most protists, an animal is composed of several cells performing specific functions) (
2) being heterotrophic (unlike plants and algae that are autotrophic, an animal depends on another organism for sustenance) and generally digesting food in an internal chamber (such as a digestive tract)
(3) lacking cell wall (unlike plants, algae and some fungi that possess cell walls)
(4) being generally motile, that is being able to move voluntarily
(5) embryos passing through a blastula stage
(6) possessing specialized sensory organs for recognizing and responding to stimuli in the environment

Do we fit this description, yes or no?

rc

Moves
11 Aug 09

Originally posted by Proper Knob
Here's a definition of 'animal' from an online biological dictionary.

A living organism belonging to Kingdom Animalia that possess several characteristics that set them apart from other living things, such as:

(1) being eukaryotic (i.e. the cell contains a membrane-bound nucleus) and usually multicellular (unlike bacteria and most protists, an ani ...[text shortened]... nizing and responding to stimuli in the environment

Do we fit this description, yes or no?
still pandering to arguments over semantics and definitions from on-line dictionaries Noobster, i will not be drawn into such a narrow view, just as i shall not limit my search for truth to unintelligent causes.

F

Moves
11 Aug 09
1 edit

Lol, its not like you to make me laugh, Fabian, but yes, its a national trait, ...
No, it's not a national trait. It's a trait of yours.
Hiding behind 'humour' converging to absurdness, and when pointed at, excusing yourself with "What? Don't you understand a joke?"

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
11 Aug 09

still pandering to arguments over semantics and definitions from on-line dictionaries Noobster, i will not be drawn into such a narrow view, just as i shall not limit my search for truth to unintelligent causes.
I'm pandering to nothing. You're just being a tosser as normal.

It's just basic common sense, which i guess you don't have. You either spit your dummy out and start ranting like a baby, or you just flatly refuse to answer any questions.

It's simple, and it's not semantics. Do we fit the description i gave above? Yes or no.

J

Moves
11 Aug 09

yes, its amazing my two rabbits, their propensity for reflecting on the past, learning from their mistakes and guiding and planning their future is superlative. my tropical fish have this amazing ability for the appreciation of art and music, they just love Jimi Hendrix, 1983 a merman i shall be, and would prefer that as a backdrop to the tank i sho ...[text shortened]... losophical thinking, physics, mathematics, the arts and music as my pets will readily attest to.
Do you think the intellectual achievements of mankind is really all that special, other than from a
human perspective? What good is your knowledge on trigonometry, when you find yourself
surprised by a crocodile? Is it really all that special that one human can appreciate the music
written by another human, when a whale can appreciate the singing of another whale? As a
human, you tend to see your human faculties from a human perspective, missing out the fact that
every species has qualities that makes them extremely well adapted to their given environments.
Your ability to learn things through experience and contemplation is no more special or useful than
the bears ability to mimic human behaviour and beg for food (warning, this is a very sad clip:
)? This denotes intelligence and the ability to
learn from experience. And honestly, how much do you think you would achieve if you were left in
the wild without any tools or clothes, even with your "great" human knowledge (knowledge you
don't possess as part of being human by the way, but as the result of an education)?

No, the only thing special about humans is that we've adapted well to surviving as groups in
nature using our brains and opposable thumbs (two genetic traits of humans). That is, the same
thing special about all surviving species.

Even with all our collective knowledge and progressive technology are we often cheated on life by
the smallest and simplest forms of life: the bacteria and the virus.

Tell me, from an objective point of view, what makes humans so special and radically different
from all other living things, that animal isn't a sufficient description?

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
11 Aug 09

yes beetle, the point being of course, we are unique, or at very least, we have characteristics which distinguish us from all other creations. 😀
Every being is unique, the Human and the Ape included; however the point is that, according to the current scientific facts and evidence, the Human and the Ape share a common ancestor;
😵