1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    06 Nov '15 02:05
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    You don't get it do you?....
    The New Testament is constantly under attack, and its reliability and accuracy are often contested by critics. If the critics want to disregard the New Testament, then they must also disregard other ancient writings by Plato, Aristotle, and Homer. [b]This is because the New Testament documents are better preserved and more ...[text shortened]... cient writings, we find that the New Testament manuscripts far outweigh the others in quantity.2
    Many copies of the same fairy tale just mean that the same fairy tale was often told.
    And the gospels don't even agree with each other do they?
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    06 Nov '15 02:56
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Many copies of the same fairy tale just mean that the same fairy tale was often told.
    And the gospels don't even agree with each other do they?
    There are four gospels that have been accepted as authentic and when closely checked, they do not disagree anymore than is normal for reports written on anything by four different people.

These four gospels have been studied by many scholars and have been weaved together to get the full story in a harmony of the gospels. It is really misconceptions by many readers, like yourself, who don't really understand that make them think the gospels do not agree with each other. Just because each of the writers concentrate on a different aspect of the story does not mean they disagree with each other on what happened.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Nov '15 03:18
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    These four gospels have been studied by many scholars and have been weaved together to get the full story in a harmony of the gospels. It is really misconceptions by many readers, like yourself, who don't really understand that make them think the gospels do not agree with each other. Just because each of the writers concentrate on a different aspect of the story does not mean they disagree with each other on what happened.
    The Gospels were written by people deliberately trying to establish a breakaway religion and this happened many, many years after the events they purport to depict. Whatever concordance there is really is no surprise nor should one overstate its significance. Similarly, the fact that Revelation 'dovetails with the scripture that preceded it' is not evidence that it was divinely inspired.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Nov '15 13:19
    Originally posted by FMF
    The Gospels were written by people deliberately trying to establish a breakaway religion and this happened many, many years after the events they purport to depict. Whatever concordance there is really is no surprise nor should one overstate its significance. Similarly, the fact that Revelation 'dovetails with the scripture that preceded it' is not evidence that it was divinely inspired.
    Revelations was not even a religious tract, it was a disguised attack on the Roman Empire.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    07 Nov '15 03:04
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Revelations was not even a religious tract, it was a disguised attack on the Roman Empire.
    You do realize that your comment to FMF is like preaching to the choir? You both are unbelievers in the gospel message and are headed for the Lake of Fire and Brimstone.
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    07 Nov '15 04:16
    You do realize that your comment to FMF is like preaching to the choir? You both are unbelievers in the gospel message and are headed for the Lake of Fire and Brimstone.
    So you do not share the "Once saved, always saved." doctrine that I see every now and again from some of the believers in this forum?
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    07 Nov '15 05:01
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    So you do not share the "Once saved, always saved." doctrine that I see every now and again from some of the believers in this forum?
    "Once saved, always saved" can mean two things. One of them I believe. Once you are saved by Jesus, you will not be unsaved. However, to claim you are saved simply because you believe in a particular church doctrine by being baptized and joining a church congregation has no saving power in the first place.

I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.”

(John 10:28-30 NIV)
  8. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    07 Nov '15 06:23
    "Once saved, always saved" can mean two things. One of them I believe. Once you are saved by Jesus, you will not be unsaved. However, to claim you are saved simply because you believe in a particular church doctrine by being baptized and joining a church congregation has no saving power in the first place.

I give them eternal life, and they sha ...[text shortened]... natch them out of my Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.”

(John 10:28-30 NIV)
    Ok., so you have "once saved, always saved." but you have stricter criteria for salvation. At what point would someone who is to be saved safe? Is this after they die if they are let through the pearly gates (so to speak) or on the day of Judgement or is it something that can happen while a person is still alive?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree