1. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 23:01
    One of the things that strongly differentiates humans from other species is science.

For example, no other species has conceived the number pi, which is used to calculate the motions of planets, design motors, process signals, develop medical equipment, etc.

Religion barely differentiates humans from other species.

For example, dogs wait for someone to come back home and can fight each other as the time comes.
  2. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 23:261 edit
    Originally posted by Sambo69
    One of the things that strongly differentiates humans from other species is science.

For example, no other species has conceived the number pi, which is used to calculate the motions of planets, design motors, process signals, develop medical equipment, etc.

For example, dogs wait for someone to come back home and can fight each other as the time comes.
    How do you know this? Do you have complete knowledge about all species in the universe. It would seem likely that some other species, somewhere, has advanced science.

Perhaps the defining characteristic of humans should be excessive narcassism, rather than science.
  3. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 23:31
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    How do you know this? Do you have complete knowledge about all species in the universe. It would seem likely that some other species, somewhere, has advanced science.

Perhaps the defining characteristic of humans should be excessive narcassism, rather than science.
    It would seem likely?

That's pure speculation scotty my boy and you know it ...
  4. Joined
    21 Jul '06
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 23:34

Even with all the things that humans develop, they are only developed because of the natural instinct of man. Just like the natural instinct of animals are to kill and eat each other in cold blood. Humans away from God are in some aspects exactly the same as those animals.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 23:42

I agree. Religion is narcassism.
  6. Joined
    21 Jul '06
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 23:47
    I agree. Religion is narcassism.
    What is the difference between religion and spirituality?
  7. Joined
    21 Jul '06
    Moves
    10 Aug '06 23:53

What other species? where?
  8. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    11 Aug '06 00:01
    Originally posted by royaltystatement
    Even with all the things that humans develop, they are only developed because of the natural instinct of man. Just like the natural instinct of animals are to kill and eat each other in cold blood. Humans away from God are in some aspects exactly the same as those animals.
    No, the natural instinct of ALL animals, including humans is to survive and reproduce. That might require killing and eating each other - but I'm not sure why you'd use the term 'in cold blood'. You do exactly the same thing when you tuck down to a nice juicy steak, or fish, or chicken - an animal has been killed, and you're eating it.
  9. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    11 Aug '06 00:02
    Who knows? I believe it is pure unadulterated narcassism to claim that humans are the only intelligent life in the universe.
  10. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    11 Aug '06 00:03
    Originally posted by amannion
    No, the natural instinct of ALL animals, including humans is to survive and reproduce. That might require killing and eating each other - but I'm not sure why you'd use the term 'in cold blood'. You do exactly the same thing when you tuck down to a nice juicy steak, or fish, or chicken - an animal has been killed, and you're eating it.
    Exactly what I was thinking.
  11. Joined
    21 Jul '06
    Moves
    11 Aug '06 00:03
    You don't know, do you? That's the point here. Science can create the most complex questions and equations and answer many of them such as stem cell research, etc., but when the origin of life or, the evolution of man are concerned, essential questions are left unanswered. Science is the natural result of man when he is away from God. Just like killing is the natural result of animals. Scientists only think in an organic mind state and their minds are not focused on spiritual things. That's why scientists are puzzled when they ask questions about spiritual matters, because there is no way the gap between the physical world and the spirutual world can be bridged away from Christ Jesus.
  12. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    11 Aug '06 00:06
    Who knows? I believe it is pure unadulterated narcassism to claim that humans are the only intelligent life in the universe.
    That sounds like a statment of values scotty.
    Be careful about mixing values and science - soon you'll be dancing around with kaftans on and throwing flowers all about ...

(By the way, it's narcissism - with an i.)
  13. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    11 Aug '06 00:07
    You don't know, do you? That's the point here.
    No, it is not the point.

I know if I flip a coin 100 times, and it's an unbiased coin, I'll get about 50 heads and 50 tails. I don't know which individual flips will produce either a head or a tail though.

Of course I do not definatively "know" there is other intelligent life in the universe, but you can do the calculations of the probability, and it's not unlikely.
  14. Joined
    21 Jul '06
    Moves
    11 Aug '06 00:07
    So where are the other life forms? Why aren't they trying to dilligently find us as we are them? What's in the universe? Space. See, we gave it the correct name, space. Is there life in space, no, because it's space. Darkness except for the celestial beings(planets, stars, etc). Humans want some type of Star Wars fantasy to be reality but the fact of the matter is, space is just that. Empty, barren, dark, nothingness.
  15. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    11 Aug '06 00:08
    You don't know, do you? That's the point here. Science can create the most complex questions and equations and answer many of them such as stem cell research, etc., but when the origin of life or, the evolution of man are concerned, essential questions are left unanswered. Science is the natural result of man when he is away from God. Just like kill ...[text shortened]... gap between the physical world and the spirutual world can be bridged away from Christ Jesus.
    Scientists are puzzled when they ask questions about spiritual matters because of all the nutters that come out of the woodwork ...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree