1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 15:53
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    False modesty?

Is it really so wrong to say "hey, I'm good at this". I don't think so - provided it's true, of course.
    It is like when someone asks me if I'm a good chess player, my pat
    answer is that depends on the company I'm in.
    Kelly
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 18:141 edit
    This subject is of interest to me because it seems that Biblically godly men were of humble origins. For example, Moses was said to be the meekest man who ever lived. He stuttered so badly that when God asked him to go before Pharoah he pleaded that someone go and speak for him. He is a far cry from the Charlton Heston figure created by Hollywood. Also consider David. One of God's prophets was told to go to David's father in order to select the next king of Israel. When he arrived he looked among all the sons the father had who were of "high stature" and who were assumed to be the chosen. However, the only one not present was the scrony lad David who was out watching over his fathers flock. He was of such lowly stature that he was not even considered a possible candidate. David was the direct antithosis of king Saul whom he was to replace. Saul was chosen by the people because of his physical prowess and high stature, however, as we all know was continually disobedient to the Lord and could not be used by him.

Having said all that, I am not saying that one need to be of "lowly stature" per sey to be humble, however, it seems to be a distinct advantage. I think our fallen state leads us to believe that having qualities that are considered to make one of high stature tends to "god to our heads", so to speak. Christ is another prime example of what I am talking about. He was born to a poor family and the prophet Isaiah says that he was not that easy on the eyes so that we would esteem him. However, Christ had a great intellect and could run circles around his foes in terms of outmanuvering them, yet he did not let it go to his head, so to speak.
  3. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 20:22
    I reckon I've got more humility than anyone else....
  4. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 22:16
    An organization gave a trophy in recognition of my great humility, but they took it away from me for accepting it!
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 22:19
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    An organization gave a trophy in recognition of my great humility, but they took it away from me for accepting it!
    Nice 😉
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Jan '08 04:00
    "Oh Lord its hard to be humble, when your perfect in every way..."
  7. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    10 Jan '08 05:53
    False modesty?

Is it really so wrong to say "hey, I'm good at this". I don't think so - provided it's true, of course.
    no of course its not wrong. it doesnt hurt or help anyone so it is neither good or bad. but if you are modest, it will help you improve and make you even better.
  8. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    10 Jan '08 15:01
    Originally posted by whodey
    "Oh Lord it[']s hard to be humble, when you[']r[e] perfect in every way..."
    Except spelling and grammar, apparently.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Jan '08 15:032 edits
    Except spelling and grammar, apparently.
    Humillty in action sir, it is hummility in action!!
  10. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    10 Jan '08 16:591 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    Humillty in action sir, it is hummility in action!!
    You are one meek son of a gun!

[edit; hedging your bets there with the number of "m"s and "l"s in "humility"? And you still managed to get it wrong both times!! Or am I just real crap at irony?]
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Jan '08 17:10
    You are one meek son of a gun!

[edit; hedging your bets there with the number of "m"s and "l"s in "humility"? And you still managed to get it wrong both times!! Or am I just real crap at irony?]
    Neither. I just enjoy spell'in like a fel'in. 😛
  12. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    10 Jan '08 17:18
    Even in grade school my grammar was unusually good. One day I turned in a paper with several grammatical mistakes. My teacher asked me, "What happened to your grammar?" I responded, "She fell down in her kitchen and had to go the the hospital."
  13. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    11 Jan '08 01:11
    Even in grade school my grammar was unusually good. One day I turned in a paper with several grammatical mistakes. My teacher asked me, "What happened to your grammar?" I responded, "She fell down in her kitchen and had to go the the hospital."
    Nice one.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree