Originally posted by whodey
    Virtue or vice?
    Both, depending on the situation.
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    08 Jan '08 19:44
    Virtue or vice?
    I'd say more necessity than either virtue or vice.
  4. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    08 Jan '08 19:58
    Virtue or vice?
    Virtue, of course.
  5. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    08 Jan '08 22:26
    Virtue or vice?
    Not a black and white case, but virtue if unassumed and not at the behest of one's own self. Vice if assumed for some other cause which limits one's own self.
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    08 Jan '08 23:41
    Virtue or vice?
    Ps 69:32 The humble shall see this, and be glad: and your heart shall live that seek God.
  7. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 04:311 edit
    Virtue or vice?
    There are a few words that were so (unfortunately) pervasive in my conditioning growing up—and which remained so, long into adulthood—that I can myself now no longer use them, even if properly and appropriately retranslated from whatever inaccurate understandings I might have acquired. This word is one of them.

If you tell me exactly what you mean by the word, I’ll tell you whether I consider that to be a virtue or a vice, and under what conditions I can think of.
  8. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 07:48
    always a virtue. ALWAYS for christian or not. when i constantly say "im pretty good but i can do better" knowing well that at certain things i am great at, i continue to get better because i down play it. if you dont believe it is a virtue, then it certainly at the very least will always benefit you.
  9. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 07:58
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    knowing well that at certain things i am great at, i continue to get better because i down play it.
    False modesty?

Is it really so wrong to say "hey, I'm good at this". I don't think so - provided it's true, of course.
  10. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 08:52
    Virtue or vice?
    Virtue without a doubt!!!
  11. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 11:12
    Originally posted by Jay Joos
    Virtue without a doubt!!!
    Even if it's a lie?
  12. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 13:05
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Even if it's a lie?
    It wouldn't be a lie!!!
  13. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 13:54
    Originally posted by Jay Joos
    It wouldn't be a lie!!!
    False modesty is a lie. False humility is a lie, even if only unto yourself. And a lie is a lie.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 14:443 edits
    Originally posted by vistesd
    There are a few words that were so (unfortunately) pervasive in my conditioning growing up—and which remained so, long into adulthood—that I can myself now no longer use them, even if properly and appropriately retranslated from whatever inaccurate understandings I might have acquired. This word is one of them.

If you tell me exactly what you mean ...[text shortened]... ether I consider that to be a virtue or a vice, and under what conditions I can think of.
    Well that's the rub is'nt it as with any other term? How does one identify with the word "humility". If you think about it, all that matters is how you identify with the term.

I used to think of humility as someone who thinks less of themselves than they actually are. For example, if one were good looking a humble person would say I am not that good looking or if someone were incredibly bright they would say I am really not that smart. However, I have begun to change my view of humility using these parameters because it is embracing an ideal that is false. If one is good looking, then one is good looking and if one is intelligent, then one is intelligent. Instead of embracing falsehood one should be able to recognize the truth of the matter. Humility for me is then incorporating the facts of being smart or good looking appropriatly into the reality around them. For me a lack of humility is not understanding how a good looking or intelligent human being fits into the "bigger picture", so to speak. For example, if I were very smart and I used this bit of knowledge to exalt myself above others and think of myself as better than they based upon my superior intelligence, then I am not being humble. In such a scenerio I probably would not want to give them the time of day, especially if I were of a higher socio-economic status compared to them. However, if I use my superior attributes to serve those who are not as blessed in such areas then I would consider such an attitude to be humble in origin. If they fail to do so, they are not seeing the greater truth of the "big picture" around them. They then are buying into a lie, so to speak, just as the person who is tyring to convince themselves that they are neither good looking or smart even though it is not the case.
  15. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    09 Jan '08 15:34
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    False modesty is a lie. False humility is a lie, even if only unto yourself. And a lie is a lie.
    I agree so i change my earlier response to a bit of both!!!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree