Hypothetical on Faith

Hypothetical on Faith

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C
Ego-Trip in Progress

Phoenix, AZ

Moves
24 Jun 06

As much as it is my policy not to create threads, I'm curious...

Assume the following hypothetical: Tomorrow, intelligent life is found, verified, and confirmed to exist elsewhere in our galaxy.

What impact does this discovery have on your personal religious faith?

-JC

Devout Agnostic.

DZ-015

Moves
24 Jun 06

Originally posted by Churlant

Assume the following hypothetical: Tomorrow, intelligent life is found, verified, and confirmed to exist elsewhere in our galaxy.

-JC
innevitable really 🙂

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
24 Jun 06

-JC
none
Kelly

w

Moves
24 Jun 06
3 edits

-JC
Why is it that many atheists are willing to embrace the notion of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe for which they have no evidence for other that their creator? To answer your question though, no, it would not shake my faith. Those that point to abiogenic theories of our origins, however, would have a field day.

C
Ego-Trip in Progress

Phoenix, AZ

Moves
24 Jun 06
1 edit

Originally posted by whodey
Why is it that many atheists are willing to embrace the notion of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe for which they have no evidence for other that their creator? To answer your question though, no, it would not shake my faith. Those that point to abiogenic theories of our origins, however, would have a field day.
You do understand what a "hypothetical" is, right? I hadn't realized I embraced anything. I'm only looking for another perspective on the possibility.

You said it wouldn't shake your faith, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't impact your faith. In the field of abiogenesis, for example... do you change your mind on any particulars you hold in creation belief?

-JC

C
Ego-Trip in Progress

Phoenix, AZ

Moves
24 Jun 06

Originally posted by KellyJay
none
Kelly
None at all? What about creationism? End times belief? Etc. Don't these things change?

-JC

w

Moves
24 Jun 06

You do understand what a "hypothetical" is, right? I hadn't realized I embraced anything. I'm only looking for another perspective on the possibility.

You said it wouldn't shake your faith, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't impact your faith. In the field of abiogenesis, for example... do you change your mind on any particulars you hold in creation belief?

-JC
I did'nt necessariy mean that you embraced the notion, but many atheists I have talked to embrace the notion of "ET's". As far as changing Biblical teachings, you are presuming that these "ET's" would significantly impact this world enough to force changes within the prophecies. Science, on the other hand, is desperatly searching for "ET's". Knowing what they know about the universe, there must be other "earth-like" worlds such as ours. Having said that, where are they? Abiogenesis can't only work on this planet can it? One of the theories I have heard about the origins of life on this planet is the possibility that life was planted here from another planet. This is all fine and dandy until you ask the question of where did that life come from? It's kinda like chasing your tail.

Devout Agnostic.

DZ-015

Moves
24 Jun 06
1 edit

I did'nt necessariy mean that you embraced the notion, but many atheists I have talked to embrace the notion of "ET's". As far as changing Biblical teachings, you are presuming that these "ET's" would significantly impact this world enough to force changes within the prophecies. Science, on the other hand, is desperatly searching for "ET's". Knowing what t the question of where did that life come from? It's kinda like chasing your tail.
maybe God just didnt want us to know about them until we were ready, thus he omitted them from the bible (which was written while most of us were illiterate savages).

is it ok if i dont do the (if he exists) thing all the time? lets just take it for granted i am open to all possibilities 🙂

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
24 Jun 06
1 edit

Originally posted by KellyJay
none
Kelly
What if the intelligent beings were more than 6,000 years old, and could confirm that light had existed at least that long?

C
Ego-Trip in Progress

Phoenix, AZ

Moves
24 Jun 06

I did'nt necessariy mean that you embraced the notion, but many atheists I have talked to embrace the notion of "ET's". As far as changing Biblical teachings, you are presuming that these "ET's" would significantly impact this world enough to force changes within the prophecies. Science, on the other hand, is desperatly searching for "ET's". Knowing what t ...[text shortened]... the question of where did that life come from? It's kinda like chasing your tail.
You're putting too much into this. Try going back to the original post. Assume absolutely nothing but undeniable verification of "E.T.".

How does Biblical teachings change? Yeah, life on another planet doesn't mean God didn't create THAT life too... but how does it fit into the 'end of the world' which seems to be an Earth-only deal?

How do you contemplate and deal with the possible (probable) spirituality of that other intelligence?

If God DID create intelligent creatures on other worlds, does that honestly change absolutely nothing regarding His Plan and His Word?

I really don't think you guys are participating, which makes me wonder why you bothered to post at all.

-JC

s
Doh!!! Or--Are--I

Springfield, USA

Moves
24 Jun 06

-JC
Some Theologians contend that Genesis chapter 1 verse 1 is the entire story. The rest of what is written is the telling of re-creation. So then this re-creation, renewal process and regeneration is befitting the remote penal colony called earth, " the Hebrew word for earth is school" ignoring this fact has fostered most superstition of religion. That's why we post on spirituality and forego dicussion on religiosity.(Hypothetically speaking) 🙄

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
24 Jun 06

-JC
Can't we wait until we find intelligent life on Earth?

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
24 Jun 06

-JC
This says nothing about whether the Flood really happened or not. Jesus died for your sins and mine. Why do Kaballists always want to undermine evangelical xianity? They can believe in Kabal, but not even in their own creator?

BTW: The impact of E.T. on my faith is does not really since I do not have a faith in the sense that you ask. If E.T. were discovered (and assuming it doesn't present an immediate threat to life on Earth or something malevolent like that), I would be totally thrilled. I think it would be one of the most important discoveries in human history. (Right behind the original copies of the books of the Bible and Noah's Ark)

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
26 Jun 06

-JC
I don't see the implications for a Taoist, bar the natural rejoicing that such (friendly) contact would inspire.

l

London

Moves
26 Jun 06

-JC
Not really.

http://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/0506301.htm