1. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    09 Apr '05 00:341 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Two quotes from Jesus in that whole post and neither supports your contention that man's nature is vile or evil or that we all merit more suffering on Earth than we receive. Matthew 15 talks of evil thoughts which lead to va ...[text shortened]... ng the Sermon on the Mount (you've heard of that, haven't you?).
    I also quoted Old Testament. I don't think you should restrict yourself to the first four books of the New Testament. If you want to understand the Gospel, and the words of Christ, you need to understand it in terms of the whole Bible. Scripture does not differentiate between Christ and the Word and Scripture. All are meant for learning about God and man.

Do you beleive that only some parts of the Bible are God's Word? Do you restrict your knowledge to the sermon on the mount?
  2. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    09 Apr '05 00:48
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    ... Try reading the Sermon on the Mount (you've heard of that, haven't you?).
    I don't deny the Christ loves those who are his, but I do deny that there is anything in us the deserves that love. It is a gift or grace, not of merit.
  3. Standard memberAynat
    Dog Companion
    Rain Forest
    Moves
    09 Apr '05 01:06
    I would like to thank those of you who have offered your thoughts on this matter. I very much appreciate the respectful tone of many posts.

I would like to encourage any new posters to stay closer to the thought that started this thread. Why do some have so much while others have so little? And the question which arose from that: What is the flaw in man's understanding that prevents action to allievate the suffering?

Just a suggestion: maybe we could refrain from engaging in judgements about other peoples thoughts?
  4. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    09 Apr '05 03:22
    Originally posted by Aynat
    I would like to thank those of you who have offered your thoughts on this matter. I very much appreciate the respectful tone of many posts.

I would like to encourage any new posters to stay closer to the thought that started this thread. Why do some have so much while others have so little? And the question which arose from that: What is the flaw in man's ...[text shortened]... t a suggestion: maybe we could refrain from engaging in judgements about other peoples thoughts?
    The pure and simple is the flaw in Man is that he thinks he can live without God.

That's akin to a fish trying to live without water. It just suffers and will eventually die.

Through Christ, this world could turn around. But man won't see this for the most part until the Son of Man returns to set things straight.
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    09 Apr '05 17:10
    Originally posted by Coletti
    I also quoted Old Testament. I don't think you should restrict yourself to the first four books of the New Testament. If you want to understand the Gospel, and the words of Christ, you need to understand it in terms of the whole Bible. Scripture does not differentiate between Christ and the Word and Scripture. All are meant for learning about God and ma ...[text shortened]... parts of the Bible are God's Word? Do you restrict your knowledge to the sermon on the mount?
    Actually, I don't "believe" any of the Bible is God's word. However, I would think that people who describes themselves as a "Christian" would be most interested in the words of Christ. It constantly amazes me how seldom the right wing "Christians" on this site use Jesus' words; I would guess the ratio of times they quote the words of Paul to the Word of Jesus is about 10:1. It is a standard concept in law that the words of the principle are preferred to the words of an agent when interpreting a document; I suspect that Jesus' words are not used that much by "Christians" because he rejects your central tenet that mankind is by nature vile and evil.
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    09 Apr '05 18:00
    Originally posted by Darfius
    But man won't see this for the most part until the Son of Man returns to set things straight.
    Wasn't he meant to set things straight the first time?
  7. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    09 Apr '05 18:091 edit
    Originally posted by Darfius
    Through Christ, this world could turn around. But man won't see this for the most part until the Son of Man returns to set things straight.
    It's a trilogy! Like Lord of the Rings! What happens in the third book, Darfius, does Jesus fight dragons?
  8. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    09 Apr '05 18:11
    Originally posted by bbarr
    It a trilogy! Like Lord of the Rings! What happens in the third book, Darfius, does Jesus fight dragons?
    Isn't there a dragon with seven heads in Revelations?
  9. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    09 Apr '05 18:45
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Yes, but don't worry! Darfius will slay it with his Vorpal Sword!
  10. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    09 Apr '05 19:24
    Wasn't he meant to set things straight the first time?
    He did. The first time, He gave us the gift of eternal life.

Second time around, He'll give us* the gift of a peaceful world on Earth.

*Us meaning believers.
  11. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    09 Apr '05 19:25
    It's a trilogy! Like Lord of the Rings! What happens in the third book, Darfius, does Jesus fight dragons?
    I find your lack of belief as ridiculous as you find my belief, but I don't feel the need to belittle you for it.
  12. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    09 Apr '05 19:26
    That's symbolic for Satan. Him trying to 'devour the woman's child' was him trying to kill Christ.

It turns out killing Christ was a bad move.
  13. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    09 Apr '05 19:26
    Yes, but don't worry! Darfius will slay it with his [b]Vorpal Sword![/b]
    Actually, the Lord Jesus will slay it (along with those who mocked their Creator) with words.
  14. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    09 Apr '05 19:27
    Yes, but don't worry! Darfius will slay it with his [b]Vorpal Sword![/b]
    This is proof-positive that you are a child of Satan: you played Dungeons and Dragons!
  15. Meddling with things
    Moves
    09 Apr '05 21:17
    Originally posted by Aynat
    I don't understand why I get to sit in my nice little apartment with my wonderful dog waiting for a pizza to come out of the oven in front of my dated little old laptop and enjoy the company of people on-line as I play. I don't understand why I have a car and a job and extra clothing, a box of beads and lots of books........

Why did I get this life of pr ...[text shortened]... nd, why do some who have so much think they have so little? I am not just talking money here....
    Quite simple. You are wealthy and powerful. Your wealth and power gives you access to resources. Someone (of equal merit) in sub Saharan Africa does your wealth or power and their share of the world's resourse (in part) flow to you.

On the other hand, if you believe in the jesus cult its because you're a better person and god is looking after his boys (and girls)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree