1. Standard memberAynat
    Dog Companion
    Rain Forest
    Moves
    07 Apr '05 03:481 edit
    I don't understand why I get to sit in my nice little apartment with my wonderful dog waiting for a pizza to come out of the oven in front of my dated little old laptop and enjoy the company of people on-line as I play. I don't understand why I have a car and a job and extra clothing, a box of beads and lots of books........

Why did I get this life of privilege and luxury?

Why me? In a world were some people have so little, if anything. Why do I get to be a woman in a country where it is a good thing to be a woman?

I know this is an unanswserable question but I wonder? Is it God? Is it man? Is it me?

Why do some have so much and others so little? And, why do some who have so much think they have so little? I am not just talking money here....
  2. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    07 Apr '05 11:301 edit
    Originally posted by Aynat
    I don't understand why I get to sit in my nice little apartment with my wonderful dog waiting for a pizza to come out of the oven in front of my dated little old laptop and enjoy the company of people on-line as I play. I don't understand ...[text shortened]... ch think they have so little? I am not just talking money here....
    You have accumulated much good karma from your previous actions in this and past lives. The life you enjoy now is a direct result of the interplay of cause and effect which continually imprints seeds of future experience in the alaya consciousness. Every thought, perception and emotion we experience leaves imprints so it benefits ourselves and others to be cautious in regards to cultivating the disturbing emotions of strong attachment and anger within ourselves. Whatever seeds we 'plant' will surely manifest one day just as if we had planted, watered, and gardened a particular fruit. It is our choice as to which types of seeds we plant. They may be seeds of attachment and anger or seeds of compassion and understanding.

The topic of karma is so broad and vast that it is often difficult to understand and especially difficult to observe. A good practice to undertake is to dedicate the positive benefit of your actions to the welfare of all beings when you do any good action large or small.

May you always enjoy freedom and ease of body, speech, and mind.

3. Playing with matches
    Moves
    07 Apr '05 11:46
    I don't understand why I get to sit in my nice little apartment with my wonderful dog waiting for a pizza to come out of the oven in front of my dated little old laptop and enjoy the company of people on-line as I play. I don't understand why I have a car and a job and extra clothing, a box of beads and lots of books........

Why did I get this life of pr ...[text shortened]... nd, why do some who have so much think they have so little? I am not just talking money here....
    Two words "Crap Shoot".
  4. Out there somewhere
    Moves
    07 Apr '05 12:06
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    Two words "Crap Shoot".
    I don't see you coming up with a better suggestion.

When i question myself in the same way i generally think that in this life we are hear to learn something.

A life lesson, if you will.

Maybe last time around (i believe in reincarnation) it wasn't so nice and easy so this time try to make the most of it, live life to the full and try to help others less fortunate than yourself..

Its all a lesson, a training ground where we come to to have certain experiences, good and bad.

thats the way i rational it anyway.
  5. Standard memberwib
    Stay outta my biznez
    Moves
    07 Apr '05 13:11

Why did I get this life of pr ...[text shortened]... nd, why do some who have so much think they have so little? I am not just talking money here....
    It's all relative isn't it? There are plenty of people around the world and in the US who would look at your life as if it was the most wonderful, amazing life in the world. Then there are those who would look at it and think "Oh My God I couldn't live that!?"

And despite the very elegant words of Eagles54, I have to agree with Hand of Hectate. Where you're born, and the family you start with in life, are just rolls of the dice in a big old crap shoot. After that though you do have some say in how your life turns out.
  6. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    07 Apr '05 13:28
    Originally posted by dk3nny
    I don't see you coming up with a better suggestion.
    I think you misunderstood. Basically it means it was lucky.
  7. Out there somewhere
    Moves
    07 Apr '05 14:38
    Originally posted by orfeo
    I think you misunderstood. Basically it means it was lucky.
    Oh..
    I just presumed it meant something like "you're talking crap"
  8. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    07 Apr '05 19:55

Yes, it is God. He loves you. But don't be like the rich man who wanted to follow Jesus but couldn't because he loved his money. Realize it is a gift from God and thank and love Him for it.
  9. Standard memberAynat
    Dog Companion
    Rain Forest
    Moves
    07 Apr '05 20:02
    Originally posted by Darfius
    Yes, it is God. He loves you. But don't be like the rich man who wanted to follow Jesus but couldn't because he loved his money. Realize it is a gift from God and thank and love Him for it.
    I accept that God loves me. But, the life, I get to have is part pure gift and part my own hard work and solid choices.

If, I have what I have because God loves me, does that me that people who are suffering are unloved?

I know this is in part an unanswerable question but... I wonder.
  10. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    07 Apr '05 20:18
    I accept that God loves me. But, the life, I get to have is part pure gift and part my own hard work and solid choices.

Who gave you the intelligence to be able to work? The ambition?

If, I have what I have because God loves me, does that me that people who are suffering are unloved?

Of course not. He loves us all. Those people who suffer have no man to turn to, so they turn to God. It is a different sort of gift, but it is a gift. They are almost assured eternal life because they rely on God and God alone. It is us rich (relatively) Westerners who have a harder time turning to God rather than earthly and fleeting pleasures.

11. Standard memberMaustrauser
    Lord Chook
    Stringybark
    Moves
    08 Apr '05 00:38
    [b]I accept that God loves me. But, the life, I get to have is part pure gift and part my own hard work and solid choices.

[/b]
    If you are implying that it was your god who gave intelligence and ambition, then it must have been your god who wished autism on some children and sloth on others. This seems to be an arbitrary and cruel thing for a loving, kind and generous god to do.

Or perhaps it is all just blind chance, and our goal in life is to make the best of what we have been dealt.
  12. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    08 Apr '05 01:02
    If you are implying that it was your god who gave intelligence and ambition, then it must have been your god who wished autism on some children and sloth on others. This seems to be an arbitrary and cruel thing for a loving, kind and generous god to do.

Those kids who have autism are more loving than many others. They are a gift to their parents. And because they can never know good from evil, they go to Heaven and they are here on Earth to make others happy with their love.

Those who are slothful struggle in life. That struggle brings them closer to God.

You should let go of your bitterness.

Or perhaps it is all just blind chance, and our goal in life is to make the best of what we have been dealt.

You know it isn't.
  13. Standard memberMaustrauser
    Lord Chook
    Stringybark
    Moves
    08 Apr '05 03:50
    [b]If you are implying that it was your god who gave intelligence and ambition, then it must have been your god who wished autism on some children and sloth on others. This seems to be an arbitrary and cruel thing for a loving, kind and generous god to do.

Those kids who have autism are more loving than many others. They are a gift to their parents. ...[text shortened]... and our goal in life is to make the best of what we have been dealt.[/b]

You know it isn't.[/b]

Good. You come and look after my 2nd Cousin Martin. Aged 26. Incontinent. Hardly sleeps. Throws things. Smashes things. Hits people. Mental age of about two. Very kind of your god to give such a gift to my relatives...And by golly Martin makes everyone happy with his love...

And by now you should know my views on why we are here. We are here because we are here because we are here. And we should make the best out of this life that we can, because there is no immortality. There is no heaven. There is no hell. This is it. So have a good time (if you can). Make other people happy. Do good not bad and on your death bed, you can smile contentedly and say "I have lived."

14. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    08 Apr '05 04:02
    Originally posted by Maustrauser

...So have a good time (if you can). Make other people happy. Do good not bad and on your death bed, you can smile contentedly and say "I have lived."

So who had the celebrate avatar first, you or Darfius?
  15. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    08 Apr '05 05:09
    I pity modern christians. They have to settle for so few miracles and other cool stuff happening.

The OT prophets had all the fun. Smacking the water with their mantle and making it part just so they wouldn't have to get their feet wet in crossing. Cursing a group of teenagers to be mauled to death by bears because they mocked him. Striking a whole enemy army with blindness based on a quick prayer. Cool shtuff!

Nowadays y'all are reduced to "God gave you the tools necessary to succeed in a capitalist society". Bleah!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree