1. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    25 Apr '07 19:28
    😞
    Why?!

(just so no one is worrying about me, no, I am not dying, but this thread is to discuss the idea that I will die at some point)
  2. Standard memberreader1107
    petting the cat
    On Clique Beach
    Moves
    25 Apr '07 19:30
    I do not understand the fear or dislike of dying. What bothers you about it? There was another recent thread on this topic somewhere, btw.
  3. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    25 Apr '07 19:53
    Originally posted by reader1107
    I do not understand the fear or dislike of dying. What bothers you about it? There was another recent thread on this topic somewhere, btw.
    I don't really know either... :'(
  4. Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    25 Apr '07 20:28
    I`m not convinced that I`ll be able to get a decent pint in the Kingdom of Heaven.
  5. Ketchikan, Alaska
    Moves
    25 Apr '07 20:39
    The point of death is that it represenst an end, so most are afraid of it. But in all honesty most do not wish to reach death because they do not know what lies beyond it. Therefore those that fear death do not truly fear death so much as the unknown after it.

That is why so many religions that talk of a heaven or hell are so popular and easy to convert to. Its because you are gauranteed a good 'life' after death if you follow them. If that isn't enough they scare you with a eternal 'death' of pain.

Just a brief summary...
  6. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    25 Apr '07 21:28
    A universe without me wouldn't be worth living in. :'(
  7. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    25 Apr '07 21:472 edits
    Originally posted by Bad wolf
    😞
    Why?!

(just so no one is worrying about me, no, I am not dying, but this thread is to discuss the idea that I will die at some point)
    I was scared to death of dying for years. Actually, until about a year ago.
    Seriously. I don't have a heaven. I don't have a God. And I'm thoroughly convinced that when I die I'm nothing but worm food.
    It's not a very happy thought.
    To be quite honest, I was a bit jealous of religious people in that respect.

But religion is the opium of the masses. Why worry about now, when you everything is gonna be sorted out later on? And that always irritated me. The religious people don't want to change the present, because they shouldn't judge and that keeps me in poverty (par example).

Then one moment everything went quiet and I understood.
    Nothing religious. No God. Just now. This exact moment in time.
    That's all there is.

And worrying about death is thinking about the future, not living now.
    Remebering the past is just that. It's not living now.

And all I can say is that you should try to live now. Don't worry about the rest. And if changing the world is what you want to do now, do it.

Try to empty your mind. Don't judge. Don't think. Just observe. And then everything seems so delightful. It's hard at first, your brain keeps racing away to futures that might be, to things you've done, to fantasys you have.
    Drag it back to the now. Empty it and look, smell, feel.
    Just be.

Ultimately you might realise that it's now how long you live that's important, it's what you do in the meantime.
    That's what Lennon meant when he said: "Life's what happens when you're busy making other plans."
    Just live now.

And now? When I die I want to go in a big ball of fire screaming my lungs out. I want to go out with a bang. I want to die shagging!
    You're only gonna die once! Why bother doing it while you're sleepin'?

Dying is like everything else. Enjoy it. Now. In the present. The bigger, the more funny. The more attrociously romantic, the better!!!

Party on!

EDIT:

Literature:
    - The taosim of Pooh (easy read)
    - Nothing (by a writer called Osho).
  8. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    25 Apr '07 22:57
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Seriously. I don't have a heaven. I don't have a God. And I'm thoroughly convinced that when I die I'm nothing but worm food.

But religion is the opium of the masse ...[text shortened]...
    Yes, good post! 🙂
  9. Subscriberscoop122
    scoop122
    Southport
    Moves
    25 Apr '07 23:23
    😞
    Why?!

are you worried about dying or about how you will die ?
  10. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    26 Apr '07 01:33
    Originally posted by shavixmir

But religion is the opium of the masse ...[text shortened]...
    Osho’s a scoundrel, the former Bhagwan Rajneesh—however, he gets it right now and then.

Try to empty your mind. Don't judge. Don't think. Just observe. And then everything seems so delightful. It's hard at first, your brain keeps racing away to futures that might be, to things you've done, to fantasys you have.
    Drag it back to the now. Empty it and look, smell, feel.
    Just be.

Hardcore Zen.* Good post.

* There’s a book by that name that I think you would like...
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Apr '07 03:59
    😞
    Why?!

I say that not wanting to die is better than wanting to die or not caring if you die. What you are feeling is natural.
  12. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    26 Apr '07 12:201 edit
    😞
    Why?!

Only two things certain in life....you are born and you die.... cant escape it.... just get the most out of your life while you are still here !!!

To conquer death you only have to die.....
  13. Joined
    23 Jul '05
    Moves
    26 Apr '07 16:22
    Originally posted by scoop122
    are you worried about dying or about how you will die ?
    Dying itself. 🙁
  14. Joined
    13 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Apr '07 19:49
    Dying itself. 🙁
    There's no point in worrying about it. You can't do anything about it. Why waste any of your life worrying about death? It's a bit like being in a fantastic relationship but being miserable because you are worried it will end.

Just enjoy life and cross bridges when you come to them.

Jeez, I wish I would follow my own advice more often 😞
  15. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    27 Apr '07 00:29
    😞
    Why?!

You know that 150,000 people die a day.
    About 6,500 in the US die a day, that is about 130 per all states.
    About 13,000 are born each day in the US.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree