1. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 01:01
    Originally posted by whodey
    I just can't understand it. I mean, I thought all the atheists on this site would just love the article. 😛
    You said it was great. What did you think was great about it? Which arguments did you think were exemplary of sound reasoning?
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 06:58
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    why cant you read the article and enjoy it, and for once acknowledge the POSSIBILITY that maybe God does exist and be open to new ideas; without criticizing theists because at the same time many atheists tell theists to acknowledge the fact that they may be wrong but atheists cant do it themselves
    What?!? That's like asking Jews to enjoy 'Mein Kampf.' Why should I enjoy being insulted and villified? I don't think so.

If you pay close attention to what I actually say in my posts, you'll see that I expressly acknowledge the possibility that god may exist. But this does not mean there is any reason I should believe god exists.
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 07:012 edits
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    On top of the objections mounted by bbarr and rwingett, the assertions
    about the state of Scripture study -- the continuity of translation, the
    age of manuscripts, and the like -- is so perversely wrong and manipulative
    that it actually angers me.

Nemesio
    I agree with you on this one. It seems the most ardent believers are the ones who are the most ignorant about the foundation of their scripture and religious foundations.

Edit: Bart Ehrman gives an excellent account in his book "Misquoting Jesus" of how he started off as a biblical literalist, but how as he learned more and more about the early history of the bible and the church, how that position became increasingly untenable.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 13:06
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    You said it was great. What did you think was great about it? Which arguments did you think were exemplary of sound reasoning?
    I was only commenting that some of the topics of discussion are topics I have already discussed. I thought the article was well written although perhaps not measuring up to your criterea for sound reasoning.
  5. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 14:24
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I agree with you on this one. It seems the most ardent believers are the ones who are the most ignorant about the foundation of their scripture and religious foundations.

Edit: Bart Ehrman gives an excellent account in his book "Misquoting Jesus" of how he started off as a biblical literalist, but how as he learned more and more about the early history of the bible and the church, how that position became increasingly untenable.
    Ehrman, Bart. The New Testament: A Historical Introduction to the Early Christian Writings, Oxford University Press (Oxford: 1997)

A fine introduction to the various texts in and slightly after the New Testament period.

Nemesio
  6. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 14:28
    I was only commenting that some of the topics of discussion are topics I have already discussed. I thought the article was well written although perhaps not measuring up to your criterea for sound reasoning.
    Yes, the article uses good grammar. But its content is abominable! Not only does it draw false
    conclusions (logically unclear), it does so resting on false information. I second Dr S's question:
    what precisely did you think was great about it? Select an excerpt of your choice that you feel could
    contribute something to the lives or atheists and post it for their comments.

Nemesio
  7. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 15:02
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Do you understand why your criticism of Rwingett is misguided?
    the claims made by atheists about theists are even more confused
  8. Cosmos
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 15:02
    "The atheist is right about good and evil"

Enough said. Thanks for backing up our cause.

http://www.nogreaterjoy.org/index.php?id=84&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=277&tx_ttnews[backPid]=12&cHash=68d450e343
  9. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    28 Apr '07 20:44
    I have a question. Michael Pearl talks about the proofs of why the Bible must be true (the prophecies that were fulfilled, etc. based on the knowledge that the Bible was written before the prophesied events occurred), can any of you provide evidence that his facts are inaccurate? Please give me solid evidence to substantiate your claim of the article's factual errors.
  10. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    29 Apr '07 06:00
    Originally posted by SharpeMother
    I have a question. Michael Pearl talks about the proofs of why the Bible must be true (the prophecies that were fulfilled, etc. based on the knowledge that the Bible was written before the prophesied events occurred), can any of you provide evidence that his facts are inaccurate? Please give me solid evidence to substantiate your claim of the article's factual errors.
    For starters, apparently the author of Daniel got it wrong when he claimed Belshazzar was Nebuchadnezzer's son:

http://www.infidels.org/library/magazines/tsr/1998/4/984bad.html
  11. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    01 May '07 00:521 edit
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    For starters, apparently the author of Daniel got it wrong when he claimed Belshazzar was Nebuchadnezzer's son:

http://www.infidels.org/library/magazines/tsr/1998/4/984bad.html
    Ok, after doing my own study on this issue I have come to the conclusion that the Bible was indeed accurate in using the terms "father" and "son". The Hebrew words used for "father" and "son" in the book of Daniel can also mean, in the Hebrew language, "predecessor" and/or "forerunner". Thus, the Bible was not in error, only mans interpretation - once again.

You indicated that was one of many reasons why the Bible is wrong - "For starters" - ...what are some other supposed errors?
  12. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    01 May '07 01:05
    Originally posted by SharpeMother
    Ok, after doing my own study on this issue I have come to the conclusion that the Bible was indeed accurate in using the terms "father" and "son". The Hebrew words used for "father" and "son" in the book of Daniel can also mean, in the Hebrew language, "predecessor" and/or "forerunner". Thus, the Bible was not in error, only mans interpretation - once a ...[text shortened]... why the Bible is wrong - "For starters" - ...what are some other supposed errors?
    pwnd
  13. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    01 May '07 02:26
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    pwnd
    ;-) Thanks.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 May '07 03:30
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    Yes, the article uses good grammar. But its content is abominable! Not only does it draw false
    conclusions (logically unclear), it does so resting on false information. I second Dr S's question:
    what precisely did you think was great about it? Select an excerpt of your choice that you feel could
    contribute something to the lives or atheists and post it for their comments.

Nemesio
    I think the most striking arguements revolve around the prophesies mentioned. I have mentioned Daniel 9:24-27 on more than one occasion in which the prediction of the coming of the Messiah is fortold. When one reads the prophesy, however, it seems abstract and hard to understand because we simply do not talk about such things in this way today. However, it has been interpreted to mean that the Messiah was fortold to come during the life of Christ.

http://www.preceptaustin.org/daniel_924-27.htm

So you say big deal. It is a Christian web site so naturally they interpret it to mean what they want it to mean. I am sure there are atheist web sites that refute such speculations. However, I find it impressive that it is even possible to interpret the prophesy to mean that the Messiah was fortold to come during the life of Christ. Furthermore the article points out that the prophesy was not interpreted merely by Christians to mean that the Messiah was to come during the life of Christ. In fact, rabbis interpreted the exact same thing hundreds of years after the life of Christ and posed the quesiton as to why the Messiah tarried. The answer they conjectured was that he tarried because of the sinfulness of Israel. After all, what choice did they have since they rejected Christ as their Messiah?

1. It is a historical fact that the prophesy of Daniel predated Christ by hundreds of years.
    2. It is a historical fact that Christ walked the earth when the prophesy potentially could be interpreted as meaning the Messiah was to come during his life.
    3. It is a historical fact that the rabbis interpreted the prophesy to mean the Messiah was fortold to come during the life of Christ and it is recorded in the Tulmud hundreds of years after the life of Christ.

Other arguements that the author posed I have also posed such as discussing morality and the meaning of life etc. Such ideas are abstract, however, and are less objective in nature.
  15. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    01 May '07 03:53
    I think the most striking arguements revolve around the prophesies mentioned. I have mentioned Daniel 9:24-27 on more than one occasion in which the prediction of the coming of the Messiah is fortold. When one reads the prophesy, however, it seems abstract and hard to understand because we simply do not talk about such things in this way today. However, it ...[text shortened]... nd the meaning of life etc. Such ideas are abstract, however, and are less objective in nature.
    Now: I predict the Great Green Hamburgler will one day appear to save the world from the ravages of evil.

Hundreds of years from now: A man exists who does stuff.

Later: The followers of this man liked him a lot. They want to hype him up. They begin calling him the Great Green Hamburgler. They go back through old texts and find a prediction that he would appear. The prediction has come true as prophesied. Hallelujah. He was indeed the Great Green Hamburgler.

Any problems with this?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree