I think He over reacted

I think He over reacted

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

aw
Baby Gauss

Ceres

Moves
06 May 10

Originally posted by Palynka
[b]It is only ridiculous to bring them up because they undermine your position.
No, I already explained why. Maybe you should try reading?

But there there were a lo of good things happening in the region before and during Christ's time and they weren't related to him in any way.
And did I say otherwise? Good things were happening. So? How do ...[text shortened]... u abstain making analysis of its morality. Let's name that the Cake Have-Eat Syndrome.[/b]
So looking into context is only looking as far as it is necessary for one to be right? That's rich!
Ignoring that there were good things in the region before and during Christ's time and only pointing out the good stuff that came from Christ is cherry picking. I just find it commendable that some people didn't need to see themselves as the son of God nor to terrorize people around them in order for them to act right. That's all.

I never claimed to abstain from making analysis of the morality of the OT or the NT. What I said is that I don't make any claim to what's representative of the NT. Unlike that is very sensible and humble position can claim what's representative of the NT.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
06 May 10
1 edit

Originally posted by adam warlock
So looking into context is only looking as far as it is necessary for one to be right? That's rich!
Ignoring that there were good things in the region before and during Christ's time and only pointing out the good stuff that came from Christ is cherry picking. I just find it commendable that some people didn't need to see themselves as the son of God n ery sensible and humble position can claim what's representative of the NT.

I'm trying to read this slowly, but are you saying that the correct context for judging how much of a break in morality the NT was are cultures who are remote to its time and place, instead of the one present there and then? Wow. Just wow.

aw
Baby Gauss

Ceres

Moves
06 May 10

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
I already showed you the argument from the Jewish Encyclopedia. Clearly, though, you're a better Talmudist than any Rabbi! I answered the other question too. You're hard work!
When did I say that I'm better from any Rabbi? When did I imply that I'm better than any Rabbi? I just happen to think that I'm entitled to make a sensible question.
If the answer of the Rabbi would satisfy me, and believe me that I think it is pretty possible that I do think that, I'd just never refer to those 42 people as being children. Simple as that. But for that to happen I'd just like to see anything substantial.

But you have planted the spirit of doubt in my mind about the real meaning of the expression used.And that's all I can give you now: doubt. If I ever get to see good evidence (either historical or analytical I'll just refer to them as 42 young non believers).
Until then be sure that I'll also talk about what you have just shown me together with the other analysis.

aw
Baby Gauss

Ceres

Moves
06 May 10

[b]So looking into context is only looking as far as it is necessary for one to be right? That's rich!

I'm trying to read this slowly, but are you saying that the correct context for judging how much of a break in morality the NT was are cultures who are remote to its time and place, instead of the one present there and then? Wow. Just wow.[/b]
I'm saying that the notion of the radical teachings of Christ isn't an accurate one. He was preceded both by people in area and by people outside his region.

Still waiting for the proofs that I've said that I wouldn't make any claims about the morality in the NT and on the OT you know?

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
06 May 10

Originally posted by adam warlock
I'm saying that the notion of the radical teachings of Christ isn't an accurate one. He was preceded both by people in area and by people outside his region.

Still waiting for the proofs that I've said that I wouldn't make any claims about the morality in the NT and on the OT you know?
But outside his region people the OT was meaningless. It still remains that the NT was an important break from the OT. Which is what I said all along.

So your quotes aren't representative of the OT and NT's morality? Great that you posted them then. 😵

aw
Baby Gauss

Ceres

Moves
06 May 10
1 edit

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Ha ha ha! No, I'm not, don't worry. I'm trying to understand you. So please indulge my curiosity and explain how you came to view Jesus as a sociopath (etc). It would make my day! You might well convince me, too -- after all a great many messianic personalities have been sociopaths.
Ok I'll post a quote a day of what makes me think of Jesus as a sociopath. I can't afford much more because frankly I need to take a break from CAW in order to actually do some work.

But here goes the first:

1"Whatever town or village you enter, search for some worthy person there and stay at his house until you leave. 12As you enter the home, give it your greeting. 13If the home is deserving, let your peace rest on it; if it is not, let your peace return to you. 14If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, shake the dust off your feet when you leave that home or town. 15I tell you the truth, it will be more bearable for Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for that town. 16I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves.

Just for not accepting his word Jesus has a worst fate for cities that what was in store for Sodoma and Gomorra. At the very least this borders on being a sociopath I'd think.
On top of that he uses the word "anyone" (I don't know if the problem is mistranslation or not) which seems to indicate that it suffices for a single person in the city not accepting him for the hole city to be condemned.

I think He over reacted!

aw
Baby Gauss

Ceres

Moves
06 May 10

So your quotes aren't representative of the OT and NT's morality? Great that you posted them then. 😵[/b]
Are you just playing dumb or something?
The Bible has good stuff and bad stuff (and I always point that out).
Normally people only mention and talk about the good stuff.
I happen to think that's dishonest and point out the bad stuff.

If from that you conclude anything from what I believe to be representative of the Bible, you're just being irrational and quite frankly that's your problem alone.

And the next time you happen to say that Jesus was a significant break from the OT (even though the man himself denies that, according to the Bible), also point out the numerous case that preceded Him, and that were contemporary with Him, in His region and outside of His region. That's all I'm asking? Just don't present the NT and Jesus as being a watershed moment in the History of mankind like it normally is.

Maybe my problem is that my notion of humanity doesn't end and start with the "Western World".

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
09 May 10

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
Sounds suspiciously like pride dude...
When confronted with a point it's impossible for you to stay on topic isn't it? Dude.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
09 May 10

Originally posted by FMF
To me it sounds more like massive insecurity and emptiness shored up with regurgitations about how he is alive and how I am dead. I think it's fine for him to fill his emptiness in the way he does. But for him to assume that everyone shares this same emptiness seems like too much speculation has been internalized and turned into 'certainty'. For someone as wobbly as this to suggest that someone like me is "as good as dead" is baffling.
You're dead in the head. Instead of staying on topic you resort to speculation about my psychological condition.

What I was talking about went right over the top of your head, because, you don't have the spiritual capacity to comprehend.

The Biblical message is perfectly clear. Without Christ one is spiritually dead. That was all I was saying. But because you don't have an answer you resort to personal attacks. Shallow indeed.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
09 May 10

Originally posted by josephw

[The Biblical message is perfectly clear. Without Christ one is spiritually dead. That was all I was saying.[/b]
The bible says a lot of stuff, but that doesn't make it true.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
09 May 10

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
The bible says a lot of stuff, but that doesn't make it true.
We say a lot of stuff too. What is true and what is false?

F

Moves
11 May 10

What I was talking about went right over the top of your head, because, you don't have the spiritual capacity to comprehend.
Good luck with your ministry. Surely there will be people who will draw inspiration from your demeanour and intellect, as well as how happy and balanced you seem. Do as you do, eh? And good luck staving off the emptiness that your forum admonitions drip with.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
14 May 10

Originally posted by FMF
Good luck with your ministry. Surely there will be people who will draw inspiration from your demeanour and intellect, as well as how happy and balanced you seem. Do as you do, eh? And good luck staving off the emptiness that your forum admonitions drip with.
Man are you mean!

F

Moves
14 May 10

Man are you mean!
I disagree. I think I am just being candid. Or terus terang as we say here where I live. If your personal spiritual code is somehow shored up by you telling everyone who has a different mindmap that they are "spiritually dead" or that their lives are "meaningless", then I think your grasp of the human condition is questionableand that there are some basic truths you need to face. People like you make God and your faith seem so small and limiting, your own exuberance and overwrought 'certainty' notwithstanding.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
14 May 10

Originally posted by FMF
I disagree. I think I am just being candid. Or terus terang as we say here where I live. If your personal spiritual code is somehow shored up by you telling everyone who has a different mindmap that they are "spiritually dead" or that their lives are "meaningless", then I think your grasp of the human condition is questionableand that there are some basic ...[text shortened]... i]small[/i] and limiting, your own exuberance and overwrought 'certainty' notwithstanding.
Look, I see your point. My intention was to be as objective as possible. My only purpose is to put forth a Biblical view. It isn't about me. I am free to believe what I want, and the same goes for you.

But, the message from the Bible is clear. Without Christ one is spiritually dead to God. I know you don't like hearing that, but that is what it says.

Try to separate the ME from it. I'm no better than you. The only difference between me and you is that I KNOW I have eternal life.