1. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Aug '09 19:14
    Originally posted by whodey
    So you seem to be saying that we have freedom by making up our own rules.
    Not necessarily. You argue later in your post that we "all innately know that we are to live by the golden rule".

So surely if we follow our own religion and we are honest with ourselves then the "golden rule" would be a component of every bodies personal religion would it not? And we would not be 'making it up'.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Aug '09 20:121 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Not necessarily. You argue later in your post that we "all innately know that we are to live by the golden rule".

So surely if we follow our own religion and we are honest with ourselves then the "golden rule" would be a component of every bodies personal religion would it not? And we would not be 'making it up'.
    Ah yes, the Christless Christianity. Of course, if you think that you can deliver yourself from what ails ya and don't need supernatural intervention for anything at any point, simply because you got it all under control, then I suppose it will work for ya!!

According to Christ, however, whoever the Son sets free is free indeed!! According to him, sin enslaves us and, therefore, we need him to set us free from time to time. Of course, ultimately sin brings death so I guess you will be on your own there as well. 😉
  3. Joined
    30 May '09
    Moves
    16 Aug '09 20:21
    I thinking of becoming religious
    What advice can the panel give please?

I'm not sure thinking is sufficient. Get involved, participate. Find a religious community and see if you feel like you belong. If not, try another, and so on until you find one that suits or you decide against the idea.
  4. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    16 Aug '09 21:12
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Actually no. I am interested in viewpoints and suggestions as we all are.
    And it took you 15 days to go from thinking of giving up religion to thinking about becoming religious? You may be interested in something, but I doubt its anyone's viewpoint.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Aug '09 08:16
    Originally posted by rwingett
    And it took you 15 days to go from thinking of giving up religion to thinking about becoming religious? You may be interested in something, but I doubt its anyone's viewpoint.
    Don't be obtuse. The two positions are obviously there to create discussion.

If you are interested in a more personal exchange them pm me and I will be happy to discuss my personal views with you.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Aug '09 08:55
    Ah yes, the Christless Christianity.
    No, a Christianity-less religion. You said that the rule of 'love your neighbor' was one we all know innately and thus Christianity cannot claim to own such a rule.

Of course, if you think that you can deliver yourself from what ails ya and don't need supernatural intervention for anything at any point, simply because you got it all under control, then I suppose it will work for ya!!
    I simply don't think the term 'supernatural' has any valid meaning.

According to Christ, however, whoever the Son sets free is free indeed!! According to him, sin enslaves us and, therefore, we need him to set us free from time to time.
    And according to others, there are other needs etc. However, you have not yet actually given any reason for believing that Christ was right or that his message is more believable than say Mohammed's.

Of course, ultimately sin brings death so I guess you will be on your own there as well. 😉
    And of course, ultimately, by 'death' you mean 'eternal punishment in hell'. But of course you cannot explain what that is all about or why I should be punished, or what the punishment achieves. You just announce "this is how it is because the Bible tells me so".
  7. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    17 Aug '09 20:37
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    if you're going to be christian, choose catholicism.
    Amen.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Aug '09 02:27
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    [b]No, a Christianity-less religion. You said that the rule of 'love your neighbor' was one we all know innately and thus Christianity cannot claim to own such a rule.
    I never said that it owned such a rule. I merely said that it points to it as the golden rule within all of our hearts. In addition, it is a guide to how to deal with mankind when we break this rule, which we all have.
  9. Joined
    12 Jun '09
    Moves
    21 Aug '09 03:551 edit
    Catholicism : Amen & amen! Where else can you get the Eucharist? The body of Christ .... (John 6) To whom else should we go?
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    21 Aug '09 06:05
    I never said that it owned such a rule.
    You implied it when you assumed that the rule alone makes a 'Christless Christianity.'

In addition, it is a guide to how to deal with mankind when we break this rule, which we all have.
    I don't understand. I guide to whom?
  11. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    22 Aug '09 21:051 edit
    I would ask you instead of becoming religious give your life over to Christ.
  12. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    26 Aug '09 23:32
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    I would ask you instead of becoming religious give your life over to Christ.
    ... In Religion.
  13. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    27 Aug '09 01:27
    I wouldn't have thought this is something you decide. I'm not religious, but I was brought up by a religious parent so I've got some experience with the notion.
    I would guess your 'religiousness' develops either because of your upbringing - that is, your parents and family were also religious - or because of some sort of 'revelatory' experience you have.
    I wouldn't think you can just one day get up and decide ... 'hmmm, I think I'll become religious today.'
  14. Pepperland
    Moves
    27 Aug '09 17:43
    Originally posted by daniel58
    Amen.
    you're an embarrassment.
  15. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    29 Aug '09 15:29
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    you're an embarrassment.
    Are you embarrassed yet?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree