Think of becoming spiritual instead.
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    16 Aug '09 12:29
    Originally posted by divegeester
    What advice can the panel give please?
    If you must become religous. Make your own religon. Its the only one worth following.
  5. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    16 Aug '09 12:37
    You're a fickle one, aren't you?
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Aug '09 13:582 edits
    The Bible says something interesting about the phenomenon called "faith". Those that have faith do so because they first hear and then believe. So I would say that if you want to have faith, then surround yourself with it. Listen to the word and surround yourself with those that have faith similar to yours. And of course, PRAY!! Of course, the opposite is true in that if you wish to become an atheist, try picking up a book by Dawkins. It will help inforce your faith that God does not exist. I like what CS Lewis once said. I can't find the exact quote, which is a shame because he is much more articulate than I, however, he said something to the effect that at times atheism seems much more plausible than theism. Then at other times things seem to tilt the other way as atheism seems more unplausible. Therefore, one must decide which they want to be and try to be as good at it as they can? Otherwise by default they will pick one.

If I were you, I would focus on Christ. He is the example, he is the way, the truth and the life. Then begin a relaitonship with him and off you go!!
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Aug '09 14:17
    Originally posted by whodey
    The Bible says something interesting about the phenomenon called "faith". Those that have faith do so because they first hear and then believe. So I would say that if you want to have faith, then surround yourself with it. Listen to the word and surround yourself with those that have faith similar to yours. And of course, PRAY!! Of course, the opposite i ...[text shortened]... , he is the way, the truth and the life. Then begin a relaitonship with him and off you go!!
    Or chose Muhammed, of the exact the same reasons...
  8. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    16 Aug '09 14:25
    Pray to find the truth in all the confusion of religions.
  9. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    16 Aug '09 14:27
    I would say take your thinking of giving up religion thread and mix it with this thread, shread the two and put them in your pipe and smoke them. Or not. I still think you ought to start your own religion. More money in it and you get to set the rules.
  10. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    16 Aug '09 14:36
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    I would say take your thinking of giving up religion thread and mix it with this thread, shread the two and put them in your pipe and smoke them. Or not. I still think you ought to start your own religion. More money in it and you get to set the rules.
    I have never seen any preacher in tattered clothes. Barnum was right! If you can get up and shave every morning while resisting the urge to slit your own throat (no matter what you did the night before) then a profitable future awaits you propagating any religion.

Seriously, don't shun a crowd, but definitely do NOT just fall in with only like-minded people. If you find a group of people cutting themselves off from the rest of the world and taking refuge in their 'faith' then RUN (do not walk) to the exit. They are most likely sociopaths in training.
  11. Pepperland
    Moves
    16 Aug '09 14:47
    if you're going to be christian, choose catholicism.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Aug '09 16:115 edits
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    If you must become religous. Make your own religon. Its the only one worth following.
    So you seem to be saying that we have freedom by making up our own rules. However, do we? Do we not all innately know that we are to live by the golden rule? As Christ said, love your neighbor as yourself and love God with all your heart. So if you do these things you will keep ALL the commandments. So do we not all inherently know that we should treat others the way we wish to be treated? Of course, we don't always listen to that inner voice and it is when we don't, we feel guilt and comdemnation. Of course, we can ignore these feelings, which often we do, but then we face the societal consequences for doing so. You can only hope you stay out of prison or worse, I suppose. In fact, more often that not we are doing ourselves harm when we do not live by the golden rule. After all, we have to live with ourselves, don't we? However, we often reason and rationalize that so long as I don't harm someone directly it should not matter what my personal conduct is like.

Having said that, why did Christ come? He came to offer us deliverance from those things in our lives that we hate ourselves for. Christ offers us a way to even love our enemies. Through Christ we simply have a means for forgiving others, for forgiving ourselves, and for being delivered and repent from those actions that we condemn ourselves for. Of course, if you don't embrace Christ and his wisdom on these issues, feel free to figure it out for yourself.

I like what John 3:17 says. It says that Christ did not come to condemn the world, but through him have conviction unto repentance.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Aug '09 16:13
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Or chose Muhammed, of the exact the same reasons...
    Indeed!! So I would say compare the teachings of Christ and Mohammad and follow who you will.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Aug '09 16:13
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    if you're going to be christian, choose catholicism.
    Why?
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Aug '09 18:09
    Originally posted by rwingett
    You're a fickle one, aren't you?
    Actually no. I am interested in viewpoints and suggestions as we all are.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree