I'd like to ask you all 3 Questions

I'd like to ask you all 3 Questions

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

J

Moves
16 Jul 08

Originally posted by shavixmir
The Jesus was a good bowler. I didn't really care for his outfit though. And I guess his record of showing himself to children doesn't really speak in favour for him either...

Oh. That Jesus...
Yeah. Carpenter, bit of the old Jerusalem syndrome, as far as I've heard. Seems he thought he was some or other God. He's got a couple of good songs, alt ...[text shortened]... ons, Muslims to pigs and Jews to drunken nazi's imported from a Polish Hess celebration.
Reading your posts is always a blast. 😵

P

Moves
16 Jul 08

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
I've been asked to gather data for a book we are reading in our LitWits Book Club. (not just me--all in the book club are supposed to do it). I'm sure I'll get the obligitory sarcastic answers, but no matter--I'll just print the serious replies I do get and take them to the club leader and he will compile them. Please consider them exactly as written, wi ...[text shortened]... and then we'll use the data when we meet to discuss the book we're reading this session.
1. I think he was a mortal human being who had some good ideas and probably some bad ones too. He most likely was extremely charismatic.

2. I don't and try not to really. I think churches can be a force for good, but often aren't.

3. No. I'm most definitely human, but not christian. 🙂

w

Moves
17 Jul 08
2 edits

I've been asked to gather data for a book we are reading in our LitWits Book Club. (not just me--all in the book club are supposed to do it). I'm sure I'll get the obligitory sarcastic answers, but no matter--I'll just print the serious replies I do get and take them to the club leader and he will compile them. Please consider them exactly as written, wi and then we'll use the data when we meet to discuss the book we're reading this session.
1. He was a man who had no worldly riches and who held no political office, and who led no army into battle, yet we are talking about him some 2000 years later. In fact, all he did was to go around and preach that the kingdom of God was at hand and that he alone was the way, the truth and the life and that no one comes to the Father but through him. Who else has such a claim to fame? Therefore, I say he is the Son of God.

2. The church is like a family. They may say they are your family because they have the genetics to prove it, yet, in your heart you do not consider them to be because they do not display much if any love for you. Conversly, you consider others who may not claim to share your genetics who to be family simply on the merits that you love them and they you. Its all about fellowship and relationship.

3. Yepper.

Moves
17 Jul 08

1. What do I think of Jesus??

I think Jesus is my savior.

2. What do I think of the Church?

Which ones? Church's are man made organizations. Anything man made is flawed. We are supposed to be the body of Christ (one church) whom Christ is the head of.

3. Am I a Christian?

Yes.

S

Moves
17 Jul 08

The questions are-- 1. What do you think of Jesus?
2. What do you think of the church?

The 3rd question is yes/no: 3. Are you a Christian?

1. He is my savior and the Word of God.

2.The church is not a physical building. It is those who understand the hope of his calling.(Eph1:18)

3. Yes

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
17 Jul 08

1. More myth than man. But then again, so were Socrates, Hercules, Apollo, Osiris and Horus.

2. The Church, a church, or churches are gathering places for people who hold similar beliefs regarding the metaphysical to commune with each other. Not surprising that they learned to hold those beliefs in the very same location, since Churches, Mosques and Synagogues are also the centres of the cult-ish dissemenation of those ideas.

3. Probably not, but who knows? Either Jesus died for my sins, or he did not. Why should it matter if I "believe" in this?

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
17 Jul 08

Originally posted by vistesd
2. The church(es) can be a spiritual hospital, a spiritual gym, or a spiritual prison; depends what it’s offering, and what people are taking.
Magnificent!

k
knightmeister

Uk

Moves
17 Jul 08

I've been asked to gather data for a book we are reading in our LitWits Book Club. (not just me--all in the book club are supposed to do it). I'm sure I'll get the obligitory sarcastic answers, but no matter--I'll just print the serious replies I do get and take them to the club leader and he will compile them. Please consider them exactly as written, wi ...[text shortened]... and then we'll use the data when we meet to discuss the book we're reading this session.
1. He was either completely off his rocker , or he was who he said he was. I don't see any position in between

2. The church as an institution is a vast mixture of really great Christians and rotten apples. The invisible church of believers out there in the world is something different.

3. I'm a liberal Christian.

P

weedhopper

Moves
18 Jul 08

TWO pages.! Thank you all again. I think the club will be very impressed with the variety of thoughts people have on Christ and the church

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
18 Jul 08

TWO pages.! Thank you all again. I think the club will be very impressed with the variety of thoughts people have on Christ and the church
Will you tell us which ones you are going to submit?

P

weedhopper

Moves
18 Jul 08

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
Will you tell us which ones you are going to submit?
Sure--all of them! I'll even report the conclusions of the members. The book we're reading is They like Jesus, but not the Church by Dan Kimball. The one who suggests the book in our club leads the discussion, so that's why the questions. My guess is we will list them all on the board, discuss them, find commonalities and differences, etc.

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
18 Jul 08

Hi Pink Floyd;

1.Probably a philosopher, but Socrates and other were far more sophisticated

2. Churches: a means of controlling effectively the people; today they are almost all pathetic

3. No religion

T

Moves
19 Jul 08
3 edits

I've been asked to gather data for a book we are reading in our LitWits Book Club. (not just me--all in the book club are supposed to do it). I'm sure I'll get the obligitory sarcastic answers, but no matter--I'll just print the serious replies I do get and take them to the club leader and he will compile them. Please consider them exactly as written, wi and then we'll use the data when we meet to discuss the book we're reading this session.
1. On the whole, the teachings of Jesus are deep and profound. If people would actually follow the teachings of Jesus, the world would be a much better place. Indeed, it would be "Heaven on Earth."

2. On the whole, the church has all but abandoned the teachings of Jesus. They should be at the center, but are relegated to the sidelines. Instead the church is about the teachings of others.

3.If one follows the will of the Father, is he not also following what Jesus asks of him? Whether he professes to follow Jesus or not? So, is he not a follower of Jesus?

If one doesn't follow the will of the Father, is he following what Jesus asks of him? Whether he professes to follow Jesus or not? So, is he a follower of Jesus?

n
Lost

Copenhagen

Moves
19 Jul 08

1. What do you think of Jesus?
Jesus was, if indeed he existed, a charismatic jewish rabbi. In many ways he was ahead of his time, however looking on his supposed preachings today uncovers a man with moral values that is not compliant with modern society.

2. What do you think of the church?
All religion is evil and must be destroyed, including organised religion like the church.

3. Are you a Christian?
No, I am an atheist.

Best regards,

Nikolaj

w

Moves
19 Jul 08
2 edits

1. What do you think of Jesus?
He was a "good" man, just like Ghandi or Buddha, although many think his morals were bad. In fact, he sounded much like Socrates. Ironically, Socrates existence seems to be in question as well from what I have ascertained on this forum, which is presumably due to the fact that his teachings often sounded "Christ-like". I think this is because of Socrates inexhaustible search for the "truth". However, one thing is for certain and that is someone had to come up with the teachings of both Socrates and Christ, therefore, why not give them the credit? In reality, it is the message that seems mythical to us because it seems unbelievable to us, therefore, those men could not have existed. Who goes around searching for "truth" as did Socrates and Christ above all else, even when it costs them their respective lives? The only difference between the two seems to be that one who searched for the truth, said that he was the truth, the way, and the life.

It has been said on this thread that Socrates was more sophisticated than was Christ. I am sure this was meant to belittle the image of Christ, however, I think Christ would embrace this statement. After all, he was quoted as saying that the Father chose to reveal the kingdom of God to mere children, and not the wise and prudent. In fact, to enter the kindom one must become "child-like" with faith that mirrors such trust. If the message cannot be grasped by the lowest among us it is nothing more than an elitist message to benefit those who neither need our help in any way nor want it.