1. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    20 Jul '08 05:111 edit
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    1. He was either completely off his rocker , or he was who he said he was. I don't see any position in between

2. The church as an institution is a vast mixture of really great Christians and rotten apples. The invisible church of believers out there in the world is something different.

3. I'm a liberal Christian.
    EDIT: Deleted in the interest of a debate-free thread...
  2. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    20 Jul '08 11:18
    edit: "I am sure this was meant to belittle the image of Christ"

Dear whodey, noone can belittle the image of both Socrates and Jesus -at least not me. I said wht I said because Socrates considered hiself "citizen/ warrior/ philosopher/ human being" and he was constantly seeking the truth; this attitude seems to me more profound, insightful, low profiled and sophisticated. Of course kindly please feel free to disagree;
  3. Standard memberDrimachus
    Christian
    England
    Moves
    20 Jul '08 12:59
    I've been asked to gather data for a book we are reading in our LitWits Book Club.
    The questions are-- 1. What do you think of Jesus?
    2. What do you think of the church?
    3. Are you a Christian?

Thanks in advance to all who help me out by answering here, or by a more private method (for those who so choose).

P.S. There will ...[text shortened]... ns, and then we'll use the data when we meet to discuss the book we're reading this session.
    1. I think Jesus fulfilled the 60-odd prophecies in the Old Testament concerening the promised Messiah.

2.None has it 100% correct. Some are more adrift than others.

3. Yes.
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    20 Jul '08 19:422 edits
    1. What do you think of Jesus?

Interesting philosopher, seemed interested in peace and goodwill to all man, so maybe early hippy? As stated elsewhere, would probably be horrified at the things done in his name. All based on potentially inaccurate second-hand historical sources, so further comment or speculation is probably not useful/warranted.

2. What do you think of the Church?

(which church?)
    As an atheist my opinion varies between at best a harmless wast of time to at worst a method of mass indoctrination of fear and prejudice.
    The various organised churches do some good work, some bad, in differing amounts depending on the church.
    In terms of architecture it can vary between the awesome grandeur of the Gothic cathedral and the coloured splendour of the traditional mosque to the truly drab and/or tasteless modern church.

3. Are you a Christian?

No

[never have been, never will be]

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree