1. weedhopper
    Moves
    16 Jul '08 05:261 edit
    I've been asked to gather data for a book we are reading in our LitWits Book Club. (not just me--all in the book club are supposed to do it). I'm sure I'll get the obligitory sarcastic answers, but no matter--I'll just print the serious replies I do get and take them to the club leader and he will compile them. Please consider them exactly as written, with whatever your own definitions and predispositions towards the words are:

The questions are-- 1. What do you think of Jesus?
    2. What do you think of the church?

The 3rd question is yes/no: 3. Are you a Christian?

Thanks in advance to all who help me out by answering here, or by a more private method (for those who so choose).

P.S. There will be no debate on this, at least from me. As I said, I'm just been asked to ask the questions, and then we'll use the data when we meet to discuss the book we're reading this session.
  2. Joined
    31 Dec '07
    Moves
    16 Jul '08 07:35
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    I've been asked to gather data for a book we are reading in our LitWits Book Club. (not just me--all in the book club are supposed to do it). I'm sure I'll get the obligitory sarcastic answers, but no matter--I'll just print the serious replies I do get and take them to the club leader and he will compile them. Please consider them exactly as written, wi ...[text shortened]... and then we'll use the data when we meet to discuss the book we're reading this session.
    1. I think Jesus was a man who's thoughts, deeds, and utterances have been twisted and manipulated in a thousand different directions, for all the wrong reasons, and I wish I could meet him and apologise for the way mankind has bastardised the purity of His intentions.

2. I think the churches are sorely in need of having their multitudinous forms of money-changers whipped out from among their membership again. Whitened sepulchers full of dead men's bones.

3. No, I am an avowed atheist.
  3. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    16 Jul '08 07:44
    I've been asked to gather data for a book we are reading in our LitWits Book Club. (not just me--all in the book club are supposed to do it). I'm sure I'll get the obligitory sarcastic answers, but no matter--I'll just print the serious replies I do get and take them to the club leader and he will compile them. Please consider them exactly as written, wi ...[text shortened]... and then we'll use the data when we meet to discuss the book we're reading this session.
    I am an atheist. I well give my most serious and honest answers to these three questions:

1, Jesus was a man that generally preached kindness and non-violence and was brutally nailed to a cross by the Romans for doing so (well -sort-of; I think their actual motive for crucifying him may have been a bit more complex than that -probably a political motive but I am not absolutely certain. But, whatever their motive, I think they were both stupid and unkind to crucifying him -my personal opinion). But, apart from that, contrary to what many people believe, he was quite an ordinary man: he was not “the sun of god” because there is no god and he didn’t perform miracles.

2, the church is an institution that promotes what I see as a set of delusional beliefs (religion) and for that reason I don’t like the church. I don’t think the church should be allowed to have any influence in government nor education.

3, no.
  4. Illinois
    Moves
    16 Jul '08 07:49
    1. I don't think often enough about Jesus.

2. The church is full of wounded people with nothing left to lose.

3. Yes, I am a Christian.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jul '08 08:38
    1) The only knowledge I have of Jesus is through 2,000 year old scriptures that were lies and exhagerations of the truth. How can I possibly make a judgment on that?

2) The church is a group of people, like monkeys, who obsess on self-love and praise and attribute this as GOD.

3 No...
  6. Joined
    31 Dec '07
    Moves
    16 Jul '08 11:02
    Originally posted by Fantaclaws
    1) The only knowledge I have of Jesus is through 2,000 year old scriptures that were lies and exhagerations of the truth. How can I possibly make a judgment on that?

2) The church is a group of people, like monkeys, who obsess on self-love and praise and attribute this as GOD.

3 No...
    possibly you believe in reincarnation?
  7. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    16 Jul '08 11:35
    =================================
    -- 1. What do you think of Jesus?
    ===================================

Jesus Christ is the God-man - the union and mingling of the uncreated Divine God with the created human to be Lord and Savior of man and the standard model of the new race of reborn, redeemed, sanctified, transformed, glorified, resurrected, and deified God men.

Jesus Christ is what God meant by human race. He represents normality and exposes to what degree the human race has strayed away from the will of God.

=================================
    ==============================

The church is the organic Body of Christ which consists of those who have the life of Christ. She is glorious and victorious and cannot be defeated though she has gone through many trials within and without.

The destiny of the church is match Christ eventually in life and nature and expression. The church consists of the overcomers and the defeated. The overcomers will be rewarded with the millennial reign with Christ in His second coming. The defeated will be matured during the millennial reign before the eternal age.

Every person who is a living member of the church will be finally conformed to the image of Christ in eternity and presented faultless before the Father in love.

If these answers seem to lengthy then realize that you are asking questions about profound subject matter. Twentyfive words or less is really not adaquate to discuss all the things one "thinks" about either Jesus Christ or the church.
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Jul '08 11:50
    Jesus is my savior.

I am a member of the church, which is the Body of Christ.

Yes.
  9. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    16 Jul '08 15:011 edit
    I forgot the third question.

=============================

==================================

Yes I am a Christian.

If I am going to be a human being, then I HAVE to be a Christian. That is how I feel about it.

And if I am going to be a Christian, then I have to be more than a conqueror - an overcomer.

By His grace and mercy I can attain both. I have no confidence in myself I can do either.
  10. Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    16 Jul '08 15:302 edits
    I've been asked to gather data for a book we are reading in our LitWits Book Club. (not just me--all in the book club are supposed to do it). I'm sure I'll get the obligitory sarcastic answers, but no matter--I'll just print the serious replies I do get and take them to the club leader and he will compile them. Please consider them exactly as written, wi and then we'll use the data when we meet to discuss the book we're reading this session.
    1. What do you think of Jesus?
    He is a man and a prophet sent from GOD to Jews to correct the corruption they made to the law of Moses, and to preach with the new and final Message sent from GOD to humans. He worshiped the only true GOD during his life, and asked his followers to do so. He didn't die on the cross. And he is not GOD.

The early church was simply the students of Jesus and his early followers, who worshiped the only true GOD, and followed the law Moses as stated by Jesus, they were a true servants and worshipers to the true GOD. But later on affected by the Roman and Greek Philosophy, the Church changed from being the collection of People who worship the only true GOD, to be an idolatry based organization that preach the Man-GOD, trinity, and Human Sacrifice (Human Blood to save people). These teaching has nothing to do with Jesus and he did never teach them. After that, the church turned to be a political and financial organization to control people of the church, powered by the Roman empire of course.

3. Are you a Christian?

No
  11. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    16 Jul '08 15:37
    1. Jesus was a charismatic and mystic Jewish rabbi from Galilee.

2. The church(es) can be a spiritual hospital, a spiritual gym, or a spiritual prison; depends what it’s offering, and what people are taking.

3. I’m sorry if this screws up your survey; it probably just means that my responses must be discarded, but I am no longer willing to play this yes/no, label-name game, especially on someone else’s terms. Not even to just help you out.

I have identified myself many ways, and nearly always had to append a lot of stuff to avoid being misunderstood. I am a non-aligned nondualist. I have added other tags to that list in the past; they would not be inaccurate, but they just cause confusion. To many that, and my response to #1, will determine things in their own mind. That’s okay with me.
  12. weedhopper
    Moves
    16 Jul '08 16:31
    MANY Thanks to all of you. The answers so far have been thought-provoking to me, so I feel pretty sure they will add a lot to the bookclub discussion. I hope to get more answers, but so far, I couldn't have asked for more genuine responses. I appreciate it. 🙂
  13. Joined
    21 Nov '07
    Moves
    16 Jul '08 16:51
    Originally posted by jaywill
    I have no confidence in myself I can do either.
    😕

-----

To answer the questions:

1. Jesus was a wise man if indeed he existed and was anything like the
    man described in the Overrated Book.

2. The church is a political organisation like any other set on world
    domination. It has leaders and followers and though it prefers to look
    good, it's supported some horrible things in the past. Just like any other
    political organisation.

3. I am an agnostic anti-christ leaning toward atheism since about three
    years now.
  14. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    16 Jul '08 17:05
    The Jesus was a good bowler. I didn't really care for his outfit though. And I guess his record of showing himself to children doesn't really speak in favour for him either...

Oh. That Jesus...
    Yeah. Carpenter, bit of the old Jerusalem syndrome, as far as I've heard. Seems he thought he was some or other God. He's got a couple of good songs, although Judas' part was better written by T. Rice.

The Church was a crappy Aussie new-wave band. However, in an unguarded moment, I did accidentally buy one of their records...

I'm as religious as Richard Dawkins at a Darwin convention being held in the Colosseum in Rome as they're feeding Christians to lions, Muslims to pigs and Jews to drunken nazi's imported from a Polish Hess celebration.
  15. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    16 Jul '08 17:49
    1.Jesus is (as we are) a child of God. He lived a good life, and was crucified for it. I believe he arose from the dead as a rsult of his divinity.

2. The church is the "body of Christ" it is not a singular institution, more like a giant extended family. like any family it is somewhat dysfunctional, but generally is a supportive and positive enviroment.

3. Yes

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree