1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 16:10
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    Such a command would UN-convince anyone who believes in the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry.
    But that's not the hypothetical.
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 16:31
    Originally posted by @js357
    But that's not the hypothetical.
    How so?
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 16:34
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    .. and you are convinced that He is who He says He is,
    and He commands you to go kill someone,
    an adulterer, a homosexual, a murderer etc.

[b]Would you obey?
    If not does that make you more righteous than God?

I know people will ask my answer. I will not obey that command
    And no, my refusal does not make me more righteous than God.[/b]
    "And no, my refusal does not make me more righteous than God."

I suppose there is wiggle-room in the meaning of "more righteous than God," but you and Dive both seem to look on wigglers with disdain, while saying you would disobey a direct, plainly worded order from God.
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 16:371 edit
    How so?
    I can only refer you to my other posts on this thread. It's plain and simple.

Edit: Every self-described theist who has said they would disobey God's command, has rejected the hypothetical, including the originator of this thread.
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 16:40
    I can only refer you to my other posts on this thread. It's plain and simple.
    An individual is initially convinced. Then subsequently un-convinced. How exactly is that outside the hypothetical?
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 16:43
    An individual is initially convinced. Then subsequently un-convinced. How exactly is that outside the hypothetical?
    Sorry my edit took too long, but it stands.

There is no 'subsequently unconvinced' in the hypothetical.
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 16:54
    Sorry my edit took too long, but it stands.

There is no 'subsequently unconvinced' in the hypothetical.
    Giving a reason for not obeying the command is outside the hypothetical?
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 16:57
    Of course I would try to obey, and the identity of the person I was to kill would not matter.

Sitting here now, contemplating an abstract forum question, I hope I would fail, but actually believing I am commanded by God to kill, I would try my best to obey. How can it be otherwise?

Frankly I am surprised by how many self-described Christians on this fo ...[text shortened]... eing commanded by God to kill. They may all be signs of dementia, but that's how dementia works.
    Is this a form of humour or are you serious.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 17:00
    "And no, my refusal does not make me more righteous than God."

I suppose there is wiggle-room in the meaning of "more righteous than God," but you and Dive both seem to look on wigglers with disdain, while saying you would disobey a direct, plainly worded order from God.
    In the scenario the state of righteousness is variable and depends on perpsoective. God may think it righteous to commit murder, I do not. So if I was asked by god to commit murder I wouldn’t. You would, which I find a little odd.
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 18:05
    Giving a reason for not obeying the command is outside the hypothetical?
    Yes, it is outside the hypothetical if it logically contradicts something in the hypothetical. In this case there is no ‘subsequently unconvinced’ in the hypothetical. It would be like God commanding you to do something He would not command you to do. In the hypothetical, God would do it, because God DID do it.
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 18:20
    Yes, it is outside the hypothetical if it logically contradicts something in the hypothetical. In this case there is no ‘subsequently unconvinced’ in the hypothetical. It would be like God commanding you to do something He would not command you to do. In the hypothetical, God would do it, because God DID do it.
    Well, evidently the concept is too abstract for you to be able to wrap your mind around it.
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 18:22
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    In the scenario the state of righteousness is variable and depends on perpsoective. God may think it righteous to commit murder, I do not. So if I was asked by god to commit murder I wouldn’t. You would, which I find a little odd.
    Last things first.

AFAIK we’re not living in that hypothetical world.

Actually, the righteousness of you and/or God isn’t stated or explicitly implied in the hypothetical.
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 19:10
    Well, evidently the concept is too abstract for you to be able to wrap your mind around it.
    The god I have in mind as I think about this “what if” hypothetical may be more of an abstraction than the one you have in mind.
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 19:18
    The god I have in mind as I think about this “what if” hypothetical may be more of an abstraction than the one you have in mind.
    No idea how that applies to what we've been discussing, but okay.
  15. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 19:24
    Of course I would try to obey, and the identity of the person I was to kill would not matter.

Sitting here now, contemplating an abstract forum question, I hope I would fail, but actually believing I am commanded by God to kill, I would try my best to obey. How can it be otherwise?

Frankly I am surprised by how many self-described Christians on this fo ...[text shortened]... eing commanded by God to kill. They may all be signs of dementia, but that's how dementia works.
    Dementia?

Did you perhaps mean schizophrenia?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree