2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 20:251 edit
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    .. and you are convinced that He is who He says He is,
    and He commands you to go kill someone,
    an adulterer, a homosexual, a murderer etc.

[b]Would you obey?
    If not does that make you more righteous than God?

I know people will ask my answer. I will not obey that command
    And no, my refusal does not make me more righteous than God.[/b]
    I would obey after confirming he was God, however God is smart enough to ask us what we Are capable of doing. Physically and psychologically.

After years of following God's word who knows where I'd be at.

Thou shall not kill is a commandment of the Lord and no one should think they are immune to this. Gods ways are patient and calculated . Most times there is no need for physical intervention
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 20:35
    WHERE IS EVERYBODY?? I do notice some awful BIG MOUTHS are strangely quiet. Maybe they're away ?

😀😀
    Looks like my big mouth is going to get me into trouble again. I did answer the OP honestly though

Just think , some serial paedophile destroying the innocent . This is a nasty can of worms , bro
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    25 Mar '18 20:38
    Originally posted by @js357
    Of course I would try to obey, and the identity of the person I was to kill would not matter.

Sitting here now, contemplating an abstract forum question, I hope I would fail, but actually believing I am commanded by God to kill, I would try my best to obey. How can it be otherwise?

Frankly I am surprised by how many self-described Christians on this fo ...[text shortened]... eing commanded by God to kill. They may all be signs of dementia, but that's how dementia works.
    Brave answer bro
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    26 Mar '18 00:401 edit
    I’m surprised no one has pointed out that this command to kill is reminiscent of Genesis 22. Maybe that’s what is going on in the hypothetical.

But perhaps this God character would see if you were going along with His command with this in mind.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Mar '18 01:05
    I can only refer you to my other posts on this thread. It's plain and simple.

Edit: Every self-described theist who has said they would disobey God's command, has rejected the hypothetical, including the originator of this thread.
    I’ve re read your posts and I can honestly say I have no idea what tree it is you are barking up.

It’s a simple premise: would you kill if god told you too, and you say you would.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Mar '18 01:06
    I’m surprised no one has pointed out that this command to kill is reminiscent of Genesis 22. Maybe that’s what is going on in the hypothetical.

But perhaps this God character would see if you were going along with His command with this in mind.
    Why would you obey the command to kill instead of disobeying?
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Mar '18 01:16
    Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
    I would obey after confirming he was God, however God is smart enough to ask us what we Are capable of doing. Physically and psychologically.

After years of following God's word who knows where I'd be at.

Thou shall not kill is a commandment of the Lord and no one should think they are immune to this. Gods ways are patient and calculated . Most times there is no need for physical intervention
    Very funny.

Up to this year, you didn't even believe in God, and from what I've seen in this thread since then, you still don't.

Your post is moot.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Mar '18 04:56
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    Very funny.

Up to this year, you didn't even believe in God, and from what I've seen in this thread since then, you still don't.

Your post is moot.
    Correction. Delete "thread"; insert "forum".
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Mar '18 05:11
    .. and you are convinced that He is who He says He is,
    and He commands you to go kill someone,
    an adulterer, a homosexual, a murderer etc.

[b]Would you obey?
    If not does that make you more righteous than God?

I know people will ask my answer. I will not obey that command
    And no, my refusal does not make me more righteous than God.[/b]
    We are past the time of prophets.

God would not be "appearing" to me, and so this hypothetical is ridiculous.

1. I am not "righteous enough".
    2. No one is "righteous enough" in these latter days.

My answer is that I would assume that it was a figment of my imagination and so no, I would not obey. I would get help before I started to see it as "normal".

And no, I do not see how this is possibly me thinking I am "more righteous than God". That's simply ridiculous. God would not ask me to murder anyone.
  11. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    26 Mar '18 14:451 edit
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    I’ve re read your posts and I can honestly say I have no idea what tree it is you are barking up.

It’s a simple premise: would you kill if god told you too, and you say you would.
    So, take it that way*. Btw, you did soften the “command” of the OP to “asked” by God and here you have “told to.”
    Btw#2: I didn’t downvote this post of yours.

*Edit: N.B. I am of course, speaking as a non-theist.
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    26 Mar '18 14:59
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Why would you obey the command to kill instead of disobeying?
    We are all born with a duty to worship and obey God, who is all-knowing and loving — or we would be if there were one. That’s why. And, from my position it is easier to accept a hypothetical for the purpose of exploring the idea of God, than it is, apparently, for believers.
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Mar '18 15:13

Actually in Genesis 22, Abraham was told that this son would be the father of great nations and he was aware of the power of God and decided that God could easily raise back his son from the dead. His decision to continue and to obey was influenced by that knowledge. The hypothetical has no such similarities.
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Mar '18 15:19
    We are all born with a duty to worship and obey God, who is all-knowing and loving — or we would be if there were one. That’s why. And, from my position it is easier to accept a hypothetical for the purpose of exploring the idea of God, than it is, apparently, for believers.
    The decision to continue without questioning or resisting this kind of command is what God is probably looking at. God does not like mindless followers, but would rather followers who can think.

The mindless sychopant type of follower v the follower with a conscience are the two types. The first type with say 'ok fine', no questions asked. The second type would protest to God and draw attention to greater laws of Christ pertaining to love, mercy and forgiveness.

God does in fact respect the strong willed and great thinkers of the human race.
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    26 Mar '18 15:21
    Perhaps, but I don't want to "go there" in this thread,
    Sorry, but you 'went there' when you made the rather odd statement that God commanding to kill may be a sign of dementia, and that was 'how dementia works'. - I worked many years with sufferers of dementia and Alzheimer's and never encountered anyone who believed God had commanded them to kill anybody.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree