"If God didn't exist... "

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
06 Jul 13

"If God didn't exist, what possible difference would it make whether or not people put their faith in Him?" -JV

Comments?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
06 Jul 13

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
"If God didn't exist, what possible difference would it make whether or not people put their faith in Him?" -JV

Comments?
We wouldn't exist......

PDI

Moves
06 Jul 13
1 edit

They forfeit 10% of their income to a cause on behalf of something that doesn't exist, plus some percentage of their time and effort.

They pray that their child will recover from illness, and anoint the child with oil, and lay hands on the child's head, rather than seeking professional medical help.

Moves
06 Jul 13

Comments?
If God did not exist, we would have to invent him. -- Voltaire

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
06 Jul 13

Originally posted by Paul Dirac II
They forfeit 10% of their income to a cause on behalf of something that doesn't exist, plus some percentage of their time and effort.

They pray that their child will recover from illness, and anoint the child with oil, and lay hands on the child's head, rather than seeking professional medical help.
I have felt like this before. When I was young I felt I was wasting my time in church when I could be outside playing and having fun. I also felt the same way about going to school. Now I feel that if I had a different attitude about it back then perhaps I would have become a much better person. But if I had not been forced to go to school and learn to read and write, I probably would not be here wasting my time on this RHP website.

The Instructor

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
06 Jul 13

Originally posted by Paul Dirac II

Tithing was taxation in the Old Testament and applied to all citizens. Today, giving cheerfully and not of necessity [willingly of your own volition] as you've prospered [with genuine motivation, according to your means] is the biblical principle in the New Testament, Church Age. The Widow's mite [smallest, of least value] was literally all that she had. As a maturing Believer in Christ, her confidence was that her logistical needs would be met in the present as they had been in the past. She was praised, unlike some wealthy people who gave astronomically larger amounts [to impress peers] but it was merely chunk change by comparison. Gratitude motivated giving honors an individual's personal relationship with God. Any parents who deprive their children to 'give' to support some [even bona fide] ministry are behaving like thieving criminals. (gb)

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
06 Jul 13

Originally posted by JS357
Your take on his observation?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
06 Jul 13

Originally posted by galveston75
We wouldn't exist......
Yep.

Cape Town

Moves
06 Jul 13

Comments?
Paul Dirac II covers some of the main points, but I would also add:
Political decisions due to religion.
Civil wars due to different religions.
Wars/conflict over 'holy places'.
Bigotry, racism, slavery, homophobia, etc. People exploit religion to justify their views.
In fact, exploitation of religion is common place and covers almost every area of life. Essentially people feel they can get away with something if they say it has to do with religion, and people are less likely to criticize them when they do.
A really big one is the deliberate suppression of science for religious reasons.

Maybe you should ask yourself, what difference would it make if Muslims were atheists, or atheists were Muslims (assuming you yourself believe Muslims have it wrong.)

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
06 Jul 13

Originally posted by twhitehead
Paul Dirac II covers some of the main points, but I would also add:
Political decisions due to religion.
Civil wars due to different religions.
Wars/conflict over 'holy places'.
Bigotry, racism, slavery, homophobia, etc. People exploit religion to justify their views.
In fact, exploitation of religion is common place and covers almost every area of l ...[text shortened]... were atheists, or atheists were Muslims (assuming you yourself believe Muslims have it wrong.)
I would rather imagine how wonderful it might be if everyone were truly Christians and practiced what they preached.

The Instructor

Moves
06 Jul 13
2 edits

Your take on his observation?

It is an obvious completion of the thread's title.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
06 Jul 13

Yep.
Originally posted by galveston75
We wouldn't exist......

The fact that you cannot conceive of existence without your imaginary god
says heaps about your intellect. While I can have some respect for theists
who admit their position is unsubstantiated I have none for those who flatly
refuse to believe that a godless universe is a possibility. Debate is impossible
- thought is impossible; you are shackled by your mindset.

Cape Town

Moves
06 Jul 13

Gratitude motivated giving honors an individual's personal relationship with God.
Looks like you have already forgotten the hypothetical of the OP (that God does not exist).

Any parents who deprive their children to 'give' to support some [even bona fide] ministry are behaving like thieving criminals. (gb)
Yet the fact remains that people do this due to their belief in an imaginary God.
It seems you have totally forgotten your own OP.
You ask "what would be bad about believing if God didn't exist."
Someone replies "Person A would be bad"
Your response: "Ah, but hes bad."

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
06 Jul 13

For a man like Voltaire if God DID exist he would have to invent one to believe that THAT one did not exist.

PDI

Moves
06 Jul 13
1 edit

After the 2012 presidential election I pointed out to a conservative Caucasian Christian blogger who was especially vexed at Obama's liberal stance on abortion that it seemed like his deity was not providing much guidance to believers on how to vote. White Christians voted more than 50% for Romney, while black Christians voted something like 99% for Obama.

In a world without a personal god, there will be no evidence of divine guidance in how believers should vote on candidates and propositions.