"If God didn't exist... "

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
22 Jul 13

"If God didn't exist, what possible difference would it make whether or not people put their faith in Him?" -JV (OP)

Comments"

Moves
22 Jul 13

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
"If God didn't exist, what possible difference would it make whether or not people put their faith in Him?" -JV (OP)

Comments"
Asked and answered.

Did you read ANY of the replies people have given on this topic?

What people believe affects their decisions and choices.

Peoples decisions and choices effect other people.

Thus what people believe makes a difference to other people.

Question answered.

Next.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
22 Jul 13

Originally posted by googlefudge
Asked and answered.

Did you read ANY of the replies people have given on this topic?

What people believe affects their decisions and choices.

Peoples decisions and choices effect other people.

Thus what people believe makes a difference to other people.

Question answered.

Next.
"Peoples decisions and choices effect other people."

Most assuredly, yes. Why, then, do some beliefs "effect other people" more than other beliefs?

A-V ___

W "God Doesn't Exist"

X "Don't know, don't care."

Y "God Exists"

Z Other_____

Which statement of belief would irritate a roomful of people 1) the most and 2) the least?

Moves
22 Jul 13

"Peoples decisions and choices effect other people."

Most assuredly, yes. Why, then, do some beliefs "effect other people" more than other beliefs?

A-V ___

W "God Doesn't Exist"

Y "God Exists"

Z Other_____

Which statement of belief would irritate a roomful of people 1) the most and 2) the least?
Why, then, do some beliefs "effect other people" more than other beliefs?

I struggle to believe that this question is serious.
As it's one I would expect the average 8 year old to answer with no trouble whatsoever.

If I believe that my car is a kind of bluey colour, but you believe that it's a kind of greeny
colour, it doesn't generally matter because what label we use for the precise colour of my
car is seldom if ever going to be a major issue.

On the other hand if I were to believe that all theists were irredeemably evil and should be
wiped from the face of the earth, and I got hold of some nuclear weapons...

Or there were those guys who believed that flying airplanes into skyscrapers was the will of
god and that they would be rewarded with 40 virgins (or whatever) in heaven after doing so...

So yeah... That's why some beliefs effect other people more than others.

A-V ___

W "God Doesn't Exist"

Y "God Exists"

Z Other_____

Depends on the people in the room.

How is that relevant to anything?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
23 Jul 13

Why, then, do some beliefs "effect other people" more than other beliefs?

I struggle to believe that this question is serious.
As it's one I would expect the average 8 year old to answer with no trouble whatsoever.

If I believe that my car is a kind of bluey colour, but you believe that it's a kind of greeny
colour, it doesn't gen ...[text shortened]... ote]

Depends on the people in the room.

How is that relevant to anything?
"Depends on the people in the room." -googlefudge

Does this qualification suggest that your beliefs have been [and continue to be] defined by other people? -gb

Moves
23 Jul 13

Does this qualification suggest that your beliefs have been [and continue to be] defined by other people? -gb
why would you think that the answer he gave would be his belief? did you not understand your own question??????

Moves
23 Jul 13

I am starting to think you lack the faculatis to understand English.

You asked me what statements of belief would be the most irritating to a
room full of people.

I respond by saying that it depends who is in the room.

It would make a big difference if it were say a meeting of the 700 club or
a skeptic/atheist conference like Skepticon.

This seems to me to be blindingly obvious, and one of the many problems with
your irrelevant question.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
23 Jul 13

I am starting to think you lack the faculatis to understand English.

You asked me what statements of belief would be the most irritating to a
room full of people.

I respond by saying that it depends who is in the room.

It would make a big difference if it were say a meeting of the 700 club or
a skeptic/atheist conference like Skepticon.

T ...[text shortened]... ms to me to be blindingly obvious, and one of the many problems with
your irrelevant question.
I think he is trying to get you to understand and admit that you exist with beliefs like everyone else. Your existence is not made up of lack of beliefs. You declare yourself an atheists because you think you believe God does not exist because you wish it to be that way. So an atheist is not a person with a lack of beliefs, but one with a clearly defined belief that God does not exist.

Atheists use the word "gods" as a psychological screen against confronting the true nature of their foolish statement of belief.

You would be more honest to say you are agnostic and don't know if God exists, even though you can't help from seeing all the evidence of the things God has created and made around you every day. As one scientist has said, after discovery of the complexity of the cell and the information code in the DNA molecule, "We must keep reminding ourselves that this is not a product of intelligent design."

The Instructor

e
Adepto 'er perfectu

Moves
23 Jul 13

Do you need to be perfect to be able to criticise genocide?
genocide has always been done by mankind's hands
not god

people are the real monsters, but that choice is always your own. people turn to god in order to justify their actions everyday without thinking about what they are doing. as if, they do not want to take responsibility for themselves nor their actions

the only entity i blame genocide on are the simpletons that implement such actions

Moves
23 Jul 13

Originally posted by empovsun
genocide has always been done by mankind's hands
not god

people are the real monsters, but that choice is always your own. people turn to god in order to justify their actions everyday without thinking about what they are doing. as if, they do not want to take responsibility for themselves nor their actions

the only entity i blame genocide on are the simpletons that implement such actions
In the [fictional] story in the bible of the great flood it is GOD that wipes out
almost all of humankind by sending a world drowning flood.

That is an act of genocide, and it's not the only one in the bible.

Moves
23 Jul 13

Originally posted by RJHinds
I think he is trying to get you to understand and admit that you exist with beliefs like everyone else. Your existence is not made up of lack of beliefs. You declare yourself an atheists because you think you believe God does not exist because you wish it to be that way. So an atheist is not a person with a lack of beliefs, but one with a clearly defined ...[text shortened]... p reminding ourselves that this is not a product of intelligent design."

The Instructor
I know you don't have any reasoning or reading comprehension ability you don't have to prove it to me... again.

e
Adepto 'er perfectu

Moves
23 Jul 13

In the [fictional] story in the bible of the great flood it is GOD that wipes out
almost all of humankind by sending a world drowning flood.

That is an act of genocide, and it's not the only one in the bible.

perhaps that was just a metaphor from a book filled with them 😞
and so what? it's not like you believe in the bible, so why use that as an example? my post still stands as is

humanity creates its own genocide. god just watches us fools try to play god in his/her playground

Cape Town

Moves
23 Jul 13

it's not like you believe in the bible, so why use that as an example?
He doesn't believe in God at all, so does that protect you from all possible examples of God committing genocide?
The fact remains that the Bible list several examples of God directly committing or ordering genocide. Now an atheist like me believes that many of the stories in the Bible are made up or exaggerated, but nevertheless, there are many theists that have done very bad things whilst claiming God told them to do it.
Certainly a Christian should not be placing all the blame on humans only as that would require dismissing most of the Bible as non-factual, then the question is what does it mean to be Christian?

e
Adepto 'er perfectu

Moves
23 Jul 13

Originally posted by twhitehead
He doesn't believe in God at all, so does that protect you from all possible examples of God committing genocide?
The fact remains that the Bible list several examples of God directly committing or ordering genocide. Now an atheist like me believes that many of the stories in the Bible are made up or exaggerated, but nevertheless, there are many theists ...[text shortened]... ssing most of the Bible as non-factual, then the question is what does it mean to be Christian?
i have never seen god commit anything, and neither have you two

its ridiculous to argue with theists and their beliefs. i have seen plenty of threads with text book this and chapter that. what i have come to understand is that all these religious books (whether god wrote them or not) we use them for all the wrong reasons. violence. castration. death. torture.

all these tools we have wrought - we have used them for selfish reasons
whether or not humanity has faith in god, we seem to destroy ourselves out of fear...same goes to you atheists. its funny how you people like to grandstand your revelation as if it was special, or even remotely imaginative (not speaking of any atheist here in these forums just past experiences)

here is an atheist i like to listen to from time to time:

what does it mean to be christian? since there are different variations of it
there isn't a definite answer...

Cape Town

Moves
23 Jul 13

i have never seen god commit anything, and neither have you two
Thats because I am an atheist.

i have seen plenty of threads with text book this and chapter that. what i have come to understand is that all these religious books (whether god wrote them or not) we use them for all the wrong reasons. violence. castration. death. torture.
Who decides what are the wrong reasons and what are the right reasons? If God did write those books then the right reasons may include some of what you mention. That is the problem with morality based on a book.

what does it mean to be christian? since there are different variations of it
there isn't a definite answer...

I realise that. There are even Christians who aren't sure that Jesus existed, or don't believe God exists. But it is a little difficult to justify the title.