"If God didn't exist... "

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R

Moves
23 Jul 13
1 edit

Rational arguments don't usually work on religious people. Otherwise, there wouldn't be religious people.

-Doris Egan

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
23 Jul 13
2 edits

Originally posted by Tygert
Rational arguments don't usually work on religious people. Otherwise, there wouldn't be religious people.

-Doris Egan
I am glad to say that I am not one of those religious people.
I am glad I am not one of those foolish atheists.
I am glad I am a Christian.

-Ronald Hinds

Cape Town

Moves
23 Jul 13

-Doris Egan
But sometimes rational arguments do work on religious people which is one reason why some of us are no-longer religious people, and it also helps explain the higher proportion of atheists amongst the better educated.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
23 Jul 13

Originally posted by empovsun
and so what? it's not like you believe in the bible, so why use that as an example?
It's actually a pretty common tactic in a debate to argue from the opponent's beliefs and show they lead to absurd implications or contradictions.

e
Adepto 'er perfectu

Moves
24 Jul 13

Originally posted by twhitehead
Thats because I am an atheist.

Who decides what are the wrong reasons and what are the right reasons? If God did write those books then the right reasons may include some of what you mention. That is the problem with morality based on a book.

[b]what does it mean to be christian? since there are different variations of it
there isn't a definite ans ...[text shortened]... esus existed, or don't believe God exists. But it is a little difficult to justify the title.
you completely missed my point:

it doesn't matter if your are a theist, deist, agnostic, or an atheist to be a lowlife. we, as a society, have figured out what is right and wrong. i would like to think the bible helped, but that is just my opinion. if you don't think so, then great, but there are bigger monsters to contend with than your beef with religion. well, except the vatican...sorry catholics but all that child rape stuff needs to stop in the church...it seems to be systematic...

as for christians that don't believe in god is just silly. you cannot be a christian and not believe in god, or jesus.

e
Adepto 'er perfectu

Moves
24 Jul 13

But sometimes rational arguments do work on religious people which is one reason why some of us are no-longer religious people, and it also helps explain the higher proportion of atheists amongst the better educated.
lol did you even watch the video?

this is what annoys me about atheists the most - some sense of superiority just because they "lack a belief in god(s)". even if what you said is true (link plz), atheists are no better than theists are since we are all fundamentally human. you are not a special fairy. you are more akin to theists than you think

the differences are miniscule

R

Moves
24 Jul 13
1 edit

Notice the word "usually". I'm an atheist. My mom was Jewish. She isn't anymore.

Cape Town

Moves
24 Jul 13

Notice the word "usually". I'm an atheist. My mom was Jewish. She isn't anymore.
I did guess you were atheist based on the quote. So do you think you or you mom became atheist because of rational argument? I think I became atheist because of internal rational argument, but nobody presented the arguments to me. I think I had realised for quite some time that Christianity didn't add up, and I just asked myself one day, what if its not true?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
24 Jul 13

There is no such thing as not being Jewish anymore. If you are born Jewish, you will die Jewish.

The Instructor

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
24 Jul 13

this is what annoys me about atheists the most - some sense of superiority just because they "lack a belief in god(s)". even if what you said is true (link plz), atheists are no better than theists are since we are all fundamentally human. you are not a special fairy. you are more akin to theists than you think

Is that what you would tell the poor folks in Somalia who are forced into being Muslim or die? Or the Aborigines in Australia who in the last century were forced to convert to Christianity or Cortez, is that what he told the tribes there, convert or die. Is that the miniscule difference you are talking about?

Cape Town

Moves
24 Jul 13

No. You didn't give me any good reason to do so, you merely said you like to listen to him.
What is interesting in it and why should I watch it?

The differences are enormous, but not biologically as you seem to suggest I might claim. I also recognize enormous differences within both groups.
Many of us atheists were theists at one time. But I am not claiming superiority as a person, but superiority of an idea. Rational thinking is superior to rational thinking even if those thinking both ways are fundamentally human.

Moves
24 Jul 13
1 edit

No. You didn't give me any good reason to do so, you merely said you like to listen to him.
What is interesting in it and why should I watch it?

[b]this is what annoys me about atheists the most - some sense of superiority just because they "lack a belief in god(s)". even if what you said is true (link plz), atheists are no better than theists are sin ...[text shortened]... ng is superior to rational thinking even if those thinking both ways are fundamentally human.
I started the video, and rapidly gave up.

Its a badly presented and shot rant by someone I have never heard of venting his spleen.

Which he's perfectly entitled to do... I just have no reason to care.

If you want me to watch a video it needs to be 'watchable'.
Thus be shot and edited in a non-jarring fashion, have clear audio, and the content needs to
be engaging.

This video fails on every single count.

Also you have a little typo... you meant rational thinking is superior to irrational thinking.

Which I absolutely agree with.

Atheism is vastly superior to theism.

This doesn't mean (by any means) that atheists are vastly superior to theists.

P

Moves
24 Jul 13

Originally posted by googlefudge
I started the video, and rapidly gave up.

Its a badly presented and shot rant by someone I have never heard of venting his spleen.

Which he's perfectly entitled to do... I just have no reason to care.

If you want me to watch a video it needs to be 'watchable'.
Thus be shot and edited in a non-jarring fashion, have clear audio, and the content ...[text shortened]... to theism.

This doesn't mean (by any means) that atheists are vastly superior to theists.
Actually, it was empovsun who posted the video and TWhitehead who made the rational / irrational comment.

Just trying to help.

--- Penguin

Moves
24 Jul 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Penguin
Actually, it was empovsun who posted the video and TWhitehead who made the rational / irrational comment.

Just trying to help.

--- Penguin
Yes I know...

Although with hindsight I can see how my post could be read otherwise...

When I said "... If you want me to watch a video it needs to be 'watchable'. ..."
the 'you' was not referring to anyone in particular... and in retrospect
would have been clearer if I said something like ".. If anyone wants me to watch..."

So I apologise if my post has confused anyone by being unclear and hope this clears it up.

EDIT: in summery I was agreeing with and adding to twhiteheads comments.

R

Moves
24 Jul 13

I did guess you were atheist based on the quote. So do you think you or you mom became atheist because of rational argument? I think I became atheist because of internal rational argument, but nobody presented the arguments to me. I think I had realised for quite some time that Christianity didn't add up, and I just asked myself one day, what if its not true?
My mom and I also reasoned it rationally and decided it didn't add up.