If God made us, why isn't this life enough?

If God made us, why isn't this life enough?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
12 Jul 18

Life is an almost incomprehensibly wonderful thing. If it is, indeed, a gift from a creator, why is it not enough of a gift for some people? Why the leap to 'we MUST surely be able to exist for all eternity'?

Planet Rain

Moves
12 Jul 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @fmf
Life is an almost incomprehensibly wonderful thing. If it is, indeed, a gift from a creator, why is it not enough of a gift for some people? Why the leap to 'we MUST surely be able to exist for all eternity'?
Besides that, the Christian version of eternal life perplexes me utterly. The "saved" will find that many of their loved ones didn't make the cut and are burning in a lake of fire. How can one enjoy eternity in those conditions? And what of those who remarried after their first spouse died? Is bigamy allowed in heaven?

I'll just say that if, under such circumstances, one were to somehow find bliss on a cloud, plucking at a harp and having three-ways every Sunday, then immortality has proven to be a will-o-the-wisp. One's identity will have changed so drastically in making the transition from the mundane to the sacred plane that, effectively, one has "died." You're not "you" anymore, you're some misshapen wight wrought by the hammer of your god as a condition for passing through the Pearly Gates.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
12 Jul 18

Didn't you forget your quotation marks?

Ie ... from a " " " creator " " "

F

Moves
12 Jul 18

Originally posted by @sonship
Didn't you forget your quotation marks?

Ie ... from a " " " creator " " "
No. The OP is fine as it is. Do you have a response?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
12 Jul 18
2 edits

No. The OP is fine as it is. Do you have a response?
Maybe after I observe some comments.
The OP is a good question.

I was just wondering why you didn't write it as ... our "creator" figure.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
12 Jul 18

I am curious about the ultimate origin of this wonderful gift of life. If you believe that life is a gift was it also a gift to our creator who gave it ?

Did the gift originate with a living creator or a creator who
was not in possession of the gift of life ?

F

Moves
12 Jul 18

Maybe after I observe some comments.
The OP is a good question.

I was just wondering why you didn't write it as ... our "creator" figure.
What are you on about?

F

Moves
12 Jul 18

I am curious about the ultimate origin of this wonderful gift of life. If you believe that life is a [b]gift was it also a gift to our creator who gave it ?

Did the gift originate with a living creator or a creator who
was not in possession of the gift of life ?[/b]
I don't believe it is a gift.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
12 Jul 18
1 edit

I don't believe it is a gift.
My bolding on YOUR OP.

Would you now like to rephrase this ?

F

Moves
12 Jul 18
1 edit

My bolding on YOUR OP.

Life is an almost incomprehensibly wonderful thing. If it is, indeed, [b] a gift from a creator, why is it not enough of a gift for some people? Why the leap to 'we MUST surely be able to exist for all eternity'?

Would you now like to rephrase this ?[/b]
No, because I don't believe life is a gift. If you think it is a gift from a creator, why is it not enough for you and other theists who believe in everlasting life? I am not among the "some people" mentioned in the OP.

F

Moves
12 Jul 18

sonship, if you don't want to address the OP and you want to ask a different question, just start a new thread about it.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
12 Jul 18
3 edits

No, because I don't believe life is a gift. If you think it is a gift from a creator, why is it not enough for you and other theists who believe in everlasting life? I am not among the "some people" mentioned in the OP.
I see.

You are saying in here that YOU DON'T THINK life is a gift.
Okay.

But to my purpose in my question, whether you define life a gift or not, is still basically the same.

Somehow life was passed down to us.
Did life BEGIN somewhere ? (gift or no)

If this question is too removed from the purpose of the OP, you may say so. I'll ask it somewhere else.

But if you do, just remember what its like to get an off to the side question next time you want to ask one to someone's OP.

Do you see LIFE as essentially having somewhere always existing? Or do you see LIFE as something that was not and began to be?

F

Moves
12 Jul 18

You are saying in here that YOU DON'T THINK life is a gift.
I think it is an opportunity. A marvellous one. And yet it seems not enough for some people.

F

Moves
12 Jul 18

Did life BEGIN somewhere ? (gift or no)

If this question is too removed from the purpose of the OP, you may say so. I'll ask it somewhere else.

But if you do, just remember what its like to get an off to the side question next time you want to ask one to someone's OP.

Do you see LIFE as essentially having somewhere always existing? Or do you see LIFE as something that was not and began to be?
We've discussed this before. Recently. Neither of us know.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
12 Jul 18
1 edit

We've discussed this before. Recently. Neither of us know.
Okay. You wish not to take a position. You wish to put forward agnosticism about it. So everyone else better also.

You don't know and no one else knows either.

I am pretty sure that the cosmic buck on life stops with an uncreated living One. I see no reason to apologize for virtually knowing this.

Yes, I think I do KNOW this.
Thanks. That's all.

The origin of life is an eternal living Life - God.
No apologies.