Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Spirituality

Spirituality

  1. Subscriber FMF
    Main Poster
    12 Jul '18 07:05
    Life is an almost incomprehensibly wonderful thing. If it is, indeed, a gift from a creator, why is it not enough of a gift for some people? Why the leap to 'we MUST surely be able to exist for all eternity'?
  2. Standard member Soothfast
    0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,
    12 Jul '18 07:19 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Life is an almost incomprehensibly wonderful thing. If it is, indeed, a gift from a creator, why is it not enough of a gift for some people? Why the leap to 'we MUST surely be able to exist for all eternity'?
    Besides that, the Christian version of eternal life perplexes me utterly. The "saved" will find that many of their loved ones didn't make the cut and are burning in a lake of fire. How can one enjoy eternity in those conditions? And what of those who remarried after their first spouse died? Is bigamy allowed in heaven?

    I'll just say that if, under such circumstances, one were to somehow find bliss on a cloud, plucking at a harp and having three-ways every Sunday, then immortality has proven to be a will-o-the-wisp. One's identity will have changed so drastically in making the transition from the mundane to the sacred plane that, effectively, one has "died." You're not "you" anymore, you're some misshapen wight wrought by the hammer of your god as a condition for passing through the Pearly Gates.
  3. Standard member sonship
    the corrected one.
    12 Jul '18 10:05
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Life is an almost incomprehensibly wonderful thing. If it is, indeed, a gift from a creator, why is it not enough of a gift for some people? Why the leap to 'we MUST surely be able to exist for all eternity'?
    Didn't you forget your quotation marks?

    Ie ... from a " " " creator " " "
  4. Subscriber FMF
    Main Poster
    12 Jul '18 10:26
    Originally posted by @sonship
    Didn't you forget your quotation marks?

    Ie ... from a " " " creator " " "
    No. The OP is fine as it is. Do you have a response?
  5. Standard member sonship
    the corrected one.
    12 Jul '18 14:22 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by @fmf
    No. The OP is fine as it is. Do you have a response?
    Maybe after I observe some comments.
    The OP is a good question.

    I was just wondering why you didn't write it as ... our "creator" figure.
  6. Standard member sonship
    the corrected one.
    12 Jul '18 14:30
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Life is an almost incomprehensibly wonderful thing. If it is, indeed, a gift from a creator, why is it not enough of a gift for some people? Why the leap to 'we MUST surely be able to exist for all eternity'?
    I am curious about the ultimate origin of this wonderful gift of life. If you believe that life is a gift was it also a gift to our creator who gave it ?

    Did the gift originate with a living creator or a creator who
    was not in possession of the gift of life ?
  7. Subscriber FMF
    Main Poster
    12 Jul '18 14:59
    Originally posted by @sonship
    Maybe after I observe some comments.
    The OP is a good question.

    I was just wondering why you didn't write it as ... our "creator" figure.
    What are you on about?
  8. Subscriber FMF
    Main Poster
    12 Jul '18 15:02
    Originally posted by @sonship
    I am curious about the ultimate origin of this wonderful gift of life. If you believe that life is a [b]gift was it also a gift to our creator who gave it ?

    Did the gift originate with a living creator or a creator who
    was not in possession of the gift of life ?[/b]
    I don't believe it is a gift.
  9. Standard member sonship
    the corrected one.
    12 Jul '18 15:18 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @fmf
    I don't believe it is a gift.
    My bolding on YOUR OP.

    Life is an almost incomprehensibly wonderful thing. If it is, indeed, a gift from a creator, why is it not enough of a gift for some people? Why the leap to 'we MUST surely be able to exist for all eternity'?


    Would you now like to rephrase this ?
  10. Subscriber FMF
    Main Poster
    12 Jul '18 15:21 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @sonship
    My bolding on YOUR OP.

    Life is an almost incomprehensibly wonderful thing. If it is, indeed, [b] a gift from a creator, why is it not enough of a gift for some people? Why the leap to 'we MUST surely be able to exist for all eternity'?


    Would you now like to rephrase this ?[/b]
    No, because I don't believe life is a gift. If you think it is a gift from a creator, why is it not enough for you and other theists who believe in everlasting life? I am not among the "some people" mentioned in the OP.
  11. Subscriber FMF
    Main Poster
    12 Jul '18 15:24
    sonship, if you don't want to address the OP and you want to ask a different question, just start a new thread about it.
  12. Standard member sonship
    the corrected one.
    12 Jul '18 15:29 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by @fmf
    No, because I don't believe life is a gift. If you think it is a gift from a creator, why is it not enough for you and other theists who believe in everlasting life? I am not among the "some people" mentioned in the OP.
    I see.

    You are saying in here that YOU DON'T THINK life is a gift.
    Okay.

    But to my purpose in my question, whether you define life a gift or not, is still basically the same.

    Somehow life was passed down to us.
    Did life BEGIN somewhere ? (gift or no)

    If this question is too removed from the purpose of the OP, you may say so. I'll ask it somewhere else.

    But if you do, just remember what its like to get an off to the side question next time you want to ask one to someone's OP.

    Do you see LIFE as essentially having somewhere always existing? Or do you see LIFE as something that was not and began to be?
  13. Subscriber FMF
    Main Poster
    12 Jul '18 15:37
    Originally posted by @sonship
    You are saying in here that YOU DON'T THINK life is a gift.
    I think it is an opportunity. A marvellous one. And yet it seems not enough for some people.
  14. Subscriber FMF
    Main Poster
    12 Jul '18 15:38
    Originally posted by @sonship
    Did life BEGIN somewhere ? (gift or no)

    If this question is too removed from the purpose of the OP, you may say so. I'll ask it somewhere else.

    But if you do, just remember what its like to get an off to the side question next time you want to ask one to someone's OP.

    Do you see LIFE as essentially having somewhere always existing? Or do you see LIFE as something that was not and began to be?
    We've discussed this before. Recently. Neither of us know.
  15. Standard member sonship
    the corrected one.
    12 Jul '18 16:44 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @fmf
    We've discussed this before. Recently. Neither of us know.
    Okay. You wish not to take a position. You wish to put forward agnosticism about it. So everyone else better also.

    You don't know and no one else knows either.

    I am pretty sure that the cosmic buck on life stops with an uncreated living One. I see no reason to apologize for virtually knowing this.

    Yes, I think I do KNOW this.
    Thanks. That's all.

    The origin of life is an eternal living Life - God.
    No apologies.