Boston Lad

USA

Moves
29 May 14
1 edit

Originally posted by Penguin
Harumble, hang out the bunting!!!!!

GB has finally given a clear answer, [b]it is Premise 1 to which he disagrees
. Only took 9 days of cajoling to get it out of him.

Personally, I agree with him on the falsity of Premise 1. It does not currently appear to be true that everything that exists has a cause.

Wolfgang59, was there anything you wanted ...[text shortened]... e OP from a theist (actually, 2 theists since RJ also disagrees with premise 1)?

--- Penguin.[/b]
"GB has finally given a clear answer, it is Premise 1 to which he disagrees. Only took 9 days of cajoling to get it out of him." --- Penguin Au contraire: not as stated in the OP. Only if amended to exclude God.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
29 May 14
3 edits

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby

Originally posted by wolfgang59
From opening post:
"1. Everything that exists has a cause"

GB: You are asserting that the word "everything" does not include your god?

True or False?

True:
"True"

You believe that "everything" does not include your god?
Therefore he does not exist.

Cape Town

Moves
29 May 14

Au contraire: not as stated in the OP. Only if amended to exclude God.
The OP, can at best be taken to be ambiguous on the matter. So its not so much that it needs amending but rather clarifying.
But at least we finally have your answer.

P

Moves
29 May 14

"GB has finally given a clear answer, it is Premise 1 to which he disagrees. Only took 9 days of cajoling to get it out of him." --- Penguin Au contraire: not as stated in the OP. Only if amended to exclude God.
Me: it is Premise 1 to which he disagrees.
You: Au contraire: not as stated in the OP. Only if amended to exclude God.

I am starting to wonder whether English is not actually your first language, as you don't seem to understand what I am saying.

So according to your post above, you actually agree with premise 1 as stated in the OP? You only disagree with premise 1 if it is changed to exclude God?

Cape Town

Moves
29 May 14

If you want a real challenge then try starting a thread discussing this premise:
1. All that exists other than God, has a cause.
and see if you can get any theists to admit that this premise is not known to be true.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
29 May 14

Originally posted by twhitehead
If you want a real challenge then try starting a thread discussing this premise:
1. All that exists other than God, has a cause.
and see if you can get any theists to admit that this premise is not known to be true.
Why don't you start the thread?

1. "All that exists other than God, has a cause.
and see if you can get any theists to admit that this premise is not known to be true."

Are you saying that the premise, "all that exists other than God, has a cause", is "known to be true", that God has no cause? Are you saying that all that exists could not exist without a cause, except God?

Cape Town

Moves
29 May 14

Originally posted by josephw
Are you saying that the premise, "all that exists other than God, has a cause", is "known to be true", that God has no cause? Are you saying that all that exists could not exist without a cause, except God?
I am saying that it is not a known truth that 'all that exists other than God has a cause'.
Put another way, the premise:
All that begins has a cause.
is not known to be true.

I am also saying that a fairly high percentage of theists on this forum think that an argument using that premise is a valid argument for the existence of God and thus they will, despite all argument to the contrary, stick to that premise and refuse to admit that it may not be true.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
29 May 14

Originally posted by wolfgang59
From opening post:
"1. Everything that exists has a cause"

GB: You are asserting that the word "everything" does not include your god?

True or False?
I'm asserting that the word "Everything" in the OP does not exclude God.

"1. Everything that exists has a cause
2. God exists
3. Therefore God has a cause

What's wrong with this argument?"

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
29 May 14

Originally posted by twhitehead
The OP, can at best be taken to be ambiguous on the matter. So its not so much that it needs amending but rather clarifying.
But at least we finally have your answer.
Thank you.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
29 May 14

Me: it is Premise 1 to which he disagrees.
You: Au contraire: not as stated in the OP. Only if amended to exclude God.

I am starting to wonder whether English is not actually your first language, as you don't seem to understand what I am saying.

So according to your post above, you actually agree with premise 1 as stated in the OP? You only disagree with premise 1 if it is changed to exclude God?
"So according to your post above, you actually agree with premise 1 as stated in the OP? [You only disagree with premise 1 if it is changed to exclude God?" --- Penguin

"So according to your post above, you actually disagree with premise 1 as stated in the OP? [You only agree with premise 1 if it is changed to exclude God?" - Corrected by GB

2. God exists

What's wrong with this argument?" -OP

P

Moves
29 May 14

"So according to your post above, you actually [b]agree with premise 1 as stated in the OP? [You only disagree with premise 1 if it is changed to exclude God?" --- Penguin

"So according to your post above, you actually disagree with premise 1 as stated in the OP? [You only agree with premise 1 if it is changed to exclude God? ...[text shortened]... a cause
2. God exists

What's wrong with this argument?" -OP[/b]
So why, when I said:
it is Premise 1 to which he disagrees.
did you reply with:
Au contraire: not as stated in the OP. Only if amended to exclude God.???

Do you get some kind of perverse pleasure in contradicting yourself? Or do you not understand the English language?

Hang on, maybe you are now doing a Del-Boy and using the French incorrectly. You do know that Au contraire means "on the contrary" don't you?

--- Penguin

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
29 May 14

So why, when I said:
it is Premise 1 to which he [b]dis
agrees.
did you reply with:
Au contraire: not as stated in the OP. Only if amended to exclude God.???

Do you get some kind of perverse pleasure in contradicting yourself? Or do you not understand the English language?

Hang on, maybe you are now doing a Del-Boy and using the Fre ...[text shortened]... rrectly. You do know that Au contraire means "on the contrary" don't you?

--- Penguin[/b]
My inadvertent error, Penguin. No excuse. Please forgive. "... on the contrary" was the intended reply at the time.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
31 May 14

My inadvertent error, Penguin. No excuse. Please forgive. "... on the contrary" was the intended reply at the time.
LOL
You accidently typed "au contraire" when you meant "on the contrary" !!!

You should do stand-up.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
31 May 14

"So according to your post above, you actually [b]agree with premise 1 as stated in the OP? [You only disagree with premise 1 if it is changed to exclude God?" --- Penguin

"So according to your post above, you actually disagree with premise 1 as stated in the OP? [You only agree with premise 1 if it is changed to exclude God? ...[text shortened]... a cause
2. God exists

What's wrong with this argument?" -OP[/b]
Maybe, it's the meaning of cause.

Moves
31 May 14

I'm asserting that the word "Everything" in the OP does not exclude God.

2. God exists

What's wrong with this argument?"
Then you would be wrong.

If god is a member of the set of things that exists. Which is what premise 2 states,
which you agree with. Then the phrase 'everything that exists' includes god.

'Everything that exists' is identifying the set of all things that exist.
You believe that god is a member of the set of all things that exist.

Thus 'everything' in the OP includes god.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.