1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Feb '11 01:42
    Suppose we allow the weather to get so bad it kills every human on the planet, will god give a crap?
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    03 Feb '11 01:51
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Suppose we allow the weather to get so bad it kills every human on the planet, will god give a crap?
    god,who is non-existent and appears above everything, will be weeping for every life that is affected.

But there is a balance to maintain.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Feb '11 02:12
    Well there is only one way to find out!! 😠
  4. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    03 Feb '11 02:34
    In the book of Revelation the divine anger seems to also fall upon "those who destroy the earth" (Revelation 11:18) .

" And the nations became angry, and Your wrath came, and the time came for the dead to be judged ... and to destroy those who destroy the earth."

I always considered that and an indication that God cared for the way human beings treated the earth.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Feb '11 02:41
    Originally posted by jaywill
    In the book of Revelation the divine anger seems to also fall upon [b]"those who destroy the earth" (Revelation 11:18) .

" And the nations became angry, and Your wrath came, and the time came for the dead to be judged ... and to destroy those who destroy the earth."

I always considered that and an indication that God cared for the way human beings treated the earth.[/b]
    But didn't care enough about the Earth, the only jewel planet of the solar system, to keep humans from destroying it, only in revenge for the ones who did. If there is no Earth, where will its next experiment be?
  6. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    03 Feb '11 02:54
    But didn't care enough about the Earth, the only jewel planet of the solar system, to keep humans from destroying it, only in revenge for the ones who did. If there is no Earth, where will its next experiment be?
    =============================
    But didn't care enough about the Earth, the only jewel planet of the solar system, to keep humans from destroying it,
    ===============================

He didn't warn Adam about the consequence of his choice against His command ?

That's not what I read.

==================================
    only in revenge for the ones who did. If there is no Earth, where will its next experiment be?
    ====================================

You should try reading the Bible sometime.

"But according to His promise we are expecting a new heaven and a new earth, in which righteousness dwells." (2 Peter 3:13)

"And I saw a new heaven and a new earth for the first heaven and the first earth passed away, and there was no more sea." (Rev. 21:1)

"Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth." (Matt. 5:5)

You should try reading the Bible for yourself sometime.
  7. Joined
    19 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Feb '11 02:56
    Really, do you have to talk like that? First of all, At what point in your development did you decide upon the fact that God spends his every hour watching over us.? You have no idea what he is capable. The creation of this Universe and all we envision it's depth to be may just be a peanuts effort in it;s creation compared to what he may be creating now somewhere else one hundred billion trillion light years away. He may very well have created this environment we have been fostering,nurturing,blowing up etc etc for a billion years now andall along he's been off creating other worlds with entirely different development stages ,scenarios in their respective dna's that we can't begin to fathom with respect to their respective complexities. God may be on the return tour to check on all the worlds he's created and how we have all so elegantly messed them up or did the right thing. Maybe he never comes back , maybe he knows that the particular uniques set of circumstances he left this world in it's infancy didn't stand a chance of doing nothing but eventually destroying ourselves (which it appears that you would enjoy,Unless i am not reading you correctly and if that;s the case consider this an apology... or this earth that most of us love to live on is and has been all along his (GOD) greatest creation... And.. if that's the case then we are all living the dream and i can't wait to wake up tomorrow and say thanks God for another day! blue sky ,dusty trails and big green trees! big b.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Feb '11 03:19
    Originally posted by big bern
    Really, do you have to talk like that? First of all, At what point in your development did you decide upon the fact that God spends his every hour watching over us.? You have no idea what he is capable. The creation of this Universe and all we envision it's depth to be may just be a peanuts effort in it;s creation compared to what he may be creating now som ...[text shortened]... and say thanks God for another day! blue sky ,dusty trails and big green trees! big b.
    And when we kill off all the trees and the new Earth has no seas, what do we do for water? Sounds like Mars to me. BTW, my first 8 years were spent in a Lutheran school, I think I read the bible as much as anyone else. I just don't buy it anymore. The older I get the more rediculous the whole story sounds. For instance, the whole story is just warmed over Horus, who died and came back three days later, sound familiar? Your religion is plagiarized from another religion a couple of thousand years older.

The bible cannot cover all the multitude of developments over the last 2000 years to be a useful moral guide.

The whole christian movement was designed by men to control men and subjugate women, using a plagiarized story twice as old as christianity is now. They said, hey, it worked for Horus, it can work for us......
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Feb '11 03:422 edits
    And when we kill off all the trees and the new Earth has no seas, what do we do for water? Sounds like Mars to me. BTW, my first 8 years were spent in a Lutheran school, I think I read the bible as much as anyone else. I just don't buy it anymore. The older I get the more rediculous the whole story sounds. For instance, the whole story is just warmed over H ...[text shortened]... ce as old as christianity is now. They said, hey, it worked for Horus, it can work for us......
    But the OT prophesied about a coming Messiah. In fact, Daniel 9:24-26 is a calendar to the coming of Jesus some 500 years later and was spot on.

I will not argue that there are some similarities to Horus, but to glibly brush it aside as a copy cat religion is absurd. In fact, even without the similarities, where are the timeless teachings about love being the only law to follow? These teachings can be applied to our lives today and help us. What of Horus?

The Bible is about real people in history as where the Egyptian gods were not. What makes the Bible the most real for me is the fact that the greatest men in the Bible are seen to have faults. For example, Moses murdered a man and stuttered like a druken sailor. King David also murdered a man and then took his wife!! When looking at the hisorical Egypt, however, all we see are skewed pictures of how great the rulers were.

And lastly, the simple fact that the Jewish people still exist is amazing to me. What other religious group has remained in place for all those centuries? In fact, Israel is now a country again!! The failure of either of these events would have doomed the Bible to mere fantasy. Perhaps that is why 3 of the main world religions are rooted in the Bible.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Feb '11 03:44
    The bible cannot cover all the multitude of developments over the last 2000 years to be a useful moral guide.
    Which development has rendered the moral guide useless?
  11. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    03 Feb '11 03:451 edit
    And when we kill off all the trees and the new Earth has no seas, what do we do for water? Sounds like Mars to me. BTW, my first 8 years were spent in a Lutheran school, I think I read the bible as much as anyone else. I just don't buy it anymore. The older I get the more rediculous the whole story sounds. For instance, the whole story is just warmed over H ...[text shortened]... ce as old as christianity is now. They said, hey, it worked for Horus, it can work for us......
    Copied with permission from The Christian Think Tank.

Excerpts from article on Jesus being a copycat of Horus:

======================================
    Horus was born of a virgin on December 25th. [We have already seen that Horus was NOT born of a virgin at all. Indeed, one ancient Egyptian relief depicts this conception by showing his mother Isis in a falcon form, hovering over an erect phallus of a dead and prone Osiris in the Underworld (EOR, s.v. "Phallus"😉. And the Dec 25 issue is of no relevance to us--nowhere does the NT associate this date with Jesus' birth at all.

Indeed, the description of the conception of Horus will show exactly the sexual elements that characterize pagan 'miracle births', as noted by the scholars earlier:

"But after she [i.e., Isis] had brought it [i.e. Osiris' body] back to Egypt, Seth managed to get hold of Osiris's body again and cut it up into fourteen parts, which she scattered all over Egypt. Then Isis went out to search for Osiris a second time and buried each part where she found it (hence the many tombs of Osiris tht exist in Egypt). The only part that she did not find was the god's penis, for Seth had thrown it into the river, where it had been eaten by a fish; Isis therefore fashioned a substitute penis to put in its place. She had also had sexual intercourse with Osisis after his death, which resulted in the conception and birth of his posthumous son, Harpocrates, Horus-the-child. Osiris became king of the netherworld, and Horus proceeded to fight with Seth..." [CANE:2:1702; emphasis mine] [BTW, the Hebrew word 'satan' is not a 'cognate' of the name 'seth' by any means: "The root *STN is not evidenced in any of the cognate languages in texts that are prior to or contemporary with its occurrences in the Hebrew Bible" DDD, s.v. 1369f]

He had 12 disciples. [This would be so incidental as to be of no consequence--even if I could verify this fact!

But again, my research in the academic literature does not surface this fact. I can find references to FOUR "disciples"--variously called the semi-divine HERU-SHEMSU ("Followers of Horus"😉 [GOE:1.491]. I can find references to SIXTEEN human followers (GOE:1.196). And I can find reference to an UNNUMBERED group of followers called mesniu/mesnitu ("blacksmiths"😉 who accompanied Horus in some of his battles [GOE:1.475f; although these might be identified with the HERU-SHEMSU in GOE:1.84]. But I cannot find TWELVE anywhere... Horus is NOT the sun-god (that's Re), so we cannot use the 'all solar gods have twelve disciples--in the Zodiac' routine here.]

He was buried in a tomb and resurrected. [We have already seen that the DARG pattern simply cannot be demonstrated in ANY case. And the data is against this "fact" even being true. I can find no references to Horus EVER dying, until he later becomes "merged" with Re the Sun god, after which he 'dies' and is 'reborn' every single day as the sun rises. And even in this 'death', there is no reference to a tomb anywhere...The massive difference between this metaphor of life/death, and the claims of the apostolic band about the real death and bodily resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth should illustrate why the 'numerous, complex, and detailed' and 'non-superficial' criteria have to be insisted on by scholars in this field... ]

=======================================
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Feb '11 03:59
    Copied with permission from The Christian Think Tank.

Excerpts from article on Jesus being a copycat of Horus:

[b]======================================
    Horus was born of a virgin on December 25th. [We have already seen that Horus was NOT born of a virgin at all. Indeed, one ancient Egyptian relief depicts this conception by showing his mother ...[text shortened]... ld... ]

=======================================
    [/b]
    Christians have to find refutations for the Horus story, otherwise they all have collective egg on their faces. It still stands as the basis for the Jesus story.

People liked the way the Horus thing played out, so the Jesus myth got started the same way.
  13. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    03 Feb '11 04:045 edits
    Originally posted by whodey
    But the OT prophesied about a coming Messiah. In fact, Daniel 9:24-26 is a calendar to the coming of Jesus some 500 years later and was spot on.

I will not argue that there are some similarities to Horus, but to glibly brush it aside as a copy cat religion is absurd. In fact, even without the similarities, where are the timeless teachings about love bein ...[text shortened]... ble to mere fantasy. Perhaps that is why 3 of the main world religions are rooted in the Bible.
    Another interesting thing about this great civilzation ancient Egypt was the information they left the world in the hierogyphics of their king's tombs.

I use to wonder why there was nothing in any of these tombs about the ten plagues and the Exodus of the Hebrew slaves. Then I heard a series of scholarly lectures from The Teaching Company by a world renown expert on Egyptology.

He said that we know more about the daily life of ancient Egypt then about the daily life of any other ancient civilization because of the history written in hieroglyphics in the tombs of kings. However, these kings never wrote things which were an embarresment to thier kingdoms.

Even if they retreated in battle, it was written up like a victory rather than a defeat. They always put their proudest and best foot forward because they wanted to be remembered for their greatness.

We would never expect any Egyptian scribes to paint on a king's tomb walls such a humiliating event as the ten plagues on Egypt or the Exodus of Hebrew slaves.

We also know that things which the passage of time became embarressing to kings about former kings, they would deface on those walls and figure out a way to replace the history with something more favorable.
  14. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    03 Feb '11 04:131 edit
    Christians have to find refutations for the Horus story, otherwise they all have collective egg on their faces. It still stands as the basis for the Jesus story.

People liked the way the Horus thing played out, so the Jesus myth got started the same way.
    erased
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    03 Feb '11 04:421 edit
    erased
    Um, I'm not sure about this Horus thing, but I wouldn't call sonhouse "gullible" .
    He is one of the most prominent posters over on the Science Forum. The most nit-picked forum on here.

I have no reason to conclude that he hasn't a good theory, after all christianity is a joke everywhere that I've experienced it, and only those that have removed themselves from the church have shown anything even resmbling what JC was preaching about.

edit:obviously I was respondong to a different post.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree