1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    09 Apr '15 13:17
    If it could actually be proven that the Christian god doesn't exist, how would that change your life, if you're a Christian? Is this something any of you here have given real thought to?

    Assume for this thread that this hypothetical really happened; if (somehow) proof was given that even Christians here HAD to admit that God doesn't exist, here are my questions:

    What would you go through emotionally? Would be afraid? Do you think you could realistically fall into a serious depression? Would you feel anger?

    I'd appreciate thoughts from Christians (or other theists with the question applied to their god).
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35519
    09 Apr '15 14:30
    Originally posted by vivify
    If it could actually be proven that the Christian god doesn't exist, how would that change your life, if you're a Christian? Is this something any of you here have given real thought to?

    Assume for this thread that this hypothetical really happened; if (somehow) proof was given that even Christians here HAD to admit that God doesn't exist, here are my que ...[text shortened]... d appreciate thoughts from Christians (or other theists with the question applied to their god).
    This question is as ridiculous and self-serving as can be.

    The Living God can not be proved non-existant. Those who attempt to do so are merely indulging their own fantasies. You might as well ponder what would happen if we all took the red pill. We all get one shot at life. To find our way back to the Creator. Please don't throw that one shot away with fantasies that He doesn't exist.

    Why don't we ask YOU what YOU would do if God was proved real? What are all the atheists going to do at Judgement? I mean except thinking, "well, &%$#, those theists were right after all. WHY didn't they MAKE me listen?!?"
  3. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    93394
    09 Apr '15 14:43
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    This question is as ridiculous and self-serving as can be.

    The Living God can not be proved non-existant. Those who attempt to do so are merely indulging their own fantasies. You might as well ponder what would happen if we all took the red pill. We all get one shot at life. To find our way back to the Creator. Please don't throw that one shot away ...[text shortened]... t thinking, "well, &%$#, those theists were right after all. WHY didn't they MAKE me listen?!?"
    if you have the time to reply, why not just try and answer his question? im sure most atheists on here would be happy to answer any hypothetical asked by a theist.
  4. Standard membersonship
    the corrected one.
    Joined
    03 Jan '13
    Moves
    8571
    09 Apr '15 14:565 edits
    Originally posted by vivify
    In the course of being a follower of Jesus Christ there in fact WILL be times when the Christian will question - at least - is God with them or not.

    Through successive trials, spaced out or arranged by the Father according to His wisdom, faith will be tested.

    The purpose such tests is to deepen the roots of one's being into the living God. You may have read the teaching about the kinds of ground the seed of the kingdom fell upon.

    "And He spoke many things to them in parables, saying, Behold, the sower went out to sow.

    And as he sowed, some seeds fell beside the way, and the birds came and devoured them.

    And others fell on the rocky places, where they did not have much earth, and immediately they sprang up because they had no dept of earth. But when the sun rose, they were scorched; and because they had no root, they withered.

    And others fell on the thorns, and the thorns came up and choked them.

    And others fell on good earth and yeilded fruit, one a hundredfold, and one sixtyfold, and one thirtyfold." (Matt. 13:3-8)


    Tests of faith await all who hear the gospel of the kingdom.
    None hardly are exempt from tests or trials to their trust in the veracity of Christ's teaching.

    The Christian is not exempt from so-called "proofs" that maybe the Gospel is not to be trusted so much. This includes circumstances that may give rise to the thought "Maybe there is no God ?"

    The honeymoon of meeting God does not last indefinitely. Trials will come spaced out and arranged by God's sovereignty. You do not have to look tests. Tests to one's faith in Jesus Christ WILL come orchestrated by the Father. That is especially if you love Him and give Him the GROUND to grow in you.

    Where I want to be is in the last catagory. That is those who cultivate and keep their heart - stones removed and weeds pulled up, thorns cut away, roots of faith allowed to deepen, through varied circumstances.

    "But others fell on good earth and yielded fruit, one a hundredfold, and one sixtyfold, and one thirtyfold."

    Your question to me is really "What if the seed of the kingdom teaching suffers the fate of one of the first three kinds of soil. What if something 'proves' God is not real or not existent ?"

    Before you proposed the dilemma Jesus already forewarned us of the dilemma. And He seems to indicate we WILL be tested. It is less a matter or IF but of WHEN.

    Thankfully, God is faithful even if we lose faith.

    "If we are faithless, He remains faithful, for He cannot deny Himself." (2 Timothy 2:13)
  5. Standard membersonship
    the corrected one.
    Joined
    03 Jan '13
    Moves
    8571
    09 Apr '15 15:001 edit
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    if you have the time to reply, why not just try and answer his question? im sure most atheists on here would be happy to answer any hypothetical asked by a theist.
    How would it change your life if it were to be proved that you do not exist?
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35519
    09 Apr '15 15:04
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    if you have the time to reply, why not just try and answer his question? im sure most atheists on here would be happy to answer any hypothetical asked by a theist.
    Because it is nonsensical. God DOES exist. I'm not interested in some atheist's fantasies.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35519
    09 Apr '15 15:08
    Originally posted by sonship
    In the course of being a follower of Jesus Christ there in fact WILL be times when the Christian will question - at least - is God with them or not.

    Through successive trials, spaced out or arranged by the Father according to His wisdom, faith will be tested.

    The purpose such tests is to deepen the roots of one's being into the living God. You may ...[text shortened]... are faithless, He remains faithful, for He cannot deny Himself." (2 Timothy 2:13)
    [/quote][/b]
    Amen.
  8. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    93394
    09 Apr '15 15:27
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Because it is nonsensical. God DOES exist. I'm not interested in some atheist's fantasies.
    if we were for arguments sake to agree that god does exist, asking the question 'what would it be like if he did not' or something to that effect is not nonsensical, how we answer the question could say a lot about us. hypothetical questions are used all they time.

    if you are simply not interested in tackling hypothetical questions, then dont get involved rather than declaring it nonsense.
  9. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    93394
    09 Apr '15 15:33
    Originally posted by sonship
    How would it change your life if it were to be proved that you do not exist?
    good question, although i suspect you are not really interested in the answer.

    my life would not change, if i do not exist then i cannot alter the fact. i am happy with my state of non-existence..what ever that is. i would continue to live my non-existence the same way i did when i thought i existed. i would also be intrigued to find out more about the conditions of my non-existence. i would like to know what else doesnt exist and what does.
  10. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    09 Apr '15 15:441 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    This question is as ridiculous and self-serving as can be.

    The Living God can not be proved non-existant. Those who attempt to do so are merely indulging their own fantasies. You might as well ponder what would happen if we all took the red pill. We all get one shot at life. To find our way back to the Creator. Please don't throw that one shot away ...[text shortened]... t thinking, "well, &%$#, those theists were right after all. WHY didn't they MAKE me listen?!?"
    Given that science has disproved the six day creation, the six thousand year age of mankind's existence, the global flood, the biblical claim that man is made of "dust" or "returns to dust" after death, and other such fundamental claims of Christianity, don't act like this thread is merely some far-off fantasy.

    It would be nice if you actually engaged in civil discourse for a change, rather than serving no other function besides being thread poison.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35519
    09 Apr '15 16:02
    Originally posted by vivify
    Given that science has disproved the six day creation, the six thousand year age of mankind's existence, the global flood, the biblical claim that man is made of "dust" or "returns to dust" after death, and other such fundamental claims of Christianity, don't act like this thread is merely some far-off fantasy.

    It would be nice if you actually engaged i ...[text shortened]... civil discourse for a change, rather than serving no other function besides being thread poison.
    'Civil discourse' usually doesn't include "hypothesizing" that our beliefs are false. Maybe your idea of civility is different than mine.

    You call us liars (or at best, deluded) to our faces and then ask that we participate in 'civil discourse', which of course, starts out by fantasizing that our beliefs are, again, false. Oh, please. How about some 'civil discourse' that starts out with just a little respect that we have a right to voice views that happen to be different from your own? At least we're not the ones 'shoving' our ideas into your faces, as you're doing here with your idea that God does not exist.

    BTW, I wouldn't really be holding "fundamentalist" ideas, like YEC and the rest, up as "basic Christian claims". To me, all these "fundamentalist" Christian views are just as fantastical and ridiculous as the idea that God doesn't exist.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35519
    09 Apr '15 16:05
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    if you are simply not interested in tackling hypothetical questions, then dont get involved rather than declaring it nonsense.
    As I just said, it's not this "hypothetical" label that gets me. It's the disrespect that comes with it, insinuating that our beliefs are not just false, but "crazy" false.
  13. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    93394
    09 Apr '15 16:08
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    'Civil discourse' usually doesn't include "hypothesizing" that our beliefs are false. Maybe your idea of civility is different than mine.

    You call us liars (or at best, deluded) to our faces and then ask that we participate in 'civil discourse', which [b]of course
    , starts out by fantasizing that our beliefs are, again, false. Oh, please. How about ...[text shortened]... list" Christian views are just as fantastical and ridiculous as the idea that God doesn't exist.[/b]
    you are criticising somebody, saying they should show you and your beliefs respect.....then a few lines later you call YEC's beliefs fantastical and ridiculous...shouldnt you be showing them some respect?
  14. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    93394
    09 Apr '15 16:10
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    As I just said, it's not this "hypothetical" label that gets me. It's the disrespect that comes with it, insinuating that our beliefs are not just false, but "crazy" false.
    i dont see any insinuation in the op that your beliefs are false or crazy.
  15. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    44172
    09 Apr '15 16:19
    I think it has already been proven that there is no god, but the god squad deploy their Cognitive Dissonance weaponry and Atheism is undone! 🙂
Back to Top