slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Feb '06 01:14
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    Nothing at all.

What do you think it would do ?
    Well personally I would hope it would cause such a furor that it would
    bring all religions down around its knees. I think religions cause
    insanity, especially the higher up in the ranks of the orders you go.
    Like you don't see Pat Robertson picking up a gun and killing
    Peruvian Presidents, he just calls for it to be done, just like Bin Laden.
  4. Not Kansas
    Moves
    04 Feb '06 01:211 edit
    I doubt whether a few extra-terrestrial bacteria would faze our religiosi, the discovery of a culture thousands of years more advanced than anything we have here might.
    Oh what am I saying, it's all Satan's doing.
  5. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    04 Feb '06 02:38
    Originally posted by KneverKnight
    I doubt whether a few extra-terrestrial bacteria would faze our religiosi, the discovery of a culture thousands of years more advanced than anything we have here might.
    Nothing can phase the hard core religious zealots. But I think it might nudge a few more who are hovering in the middle to cast off their religious superstitions. Each new discovery for science makes one less area for god to ply his wares.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Feb '06 02:55
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    What would the religious implications be? It is thought there are
    warm oceans of liquid water under the ice on Europa, the largest
    moon in the solar system, almost as big as mars and is theorized
    to have the conditions under which life could evolve. What would
    that do to world religions, the big three in particular, Judaism,
    Christianity, and Islam.
    You might even ask the opposite question. What are the implications for evolutionists having not found any life forms outside this planet? Does this make hard core evolutionists second guess their belief's? After all, evolution must find a way. No it does not. They simply mold data to fit around the belief's that they have embraced.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Feb '06 03:551 edit
    Originally posted by KneverKnight
    Could it be, oh, SATAN? hehe, I knew it was all his fault!
    Well I didn't see Ivanho's reply, I must have thrown him off his
    stride. NOT.
  8. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    04 Feb '06 04:47
    Originally posted by whodey
    You might even ask the opposite question. What are the implications for evolutionists having not found any life forms outside this planet? Does this make hard core evolutionists second guess their belief's? After all, evolution must find a way. No it does not. They simply mold data to fit around the belief's that they have embraced.
    Given that the OP picked satellites in our solar system that according to our ideas of abiogenesis possess the building blocks for life as we know it (though unfortunately likely not within an accomodating temperature band), I would think that abiogenesis theorists would be stoked that their ideas were validated by the data. What would be a blow (and a an exciting challenge) to them is if we found life on say Jupiter or Sedna.
  9. Standard memberreader1107
    petting the cat
    On Clique Beach
    Moves
    04 Feb '06 05:45
    I don't understand your premise. How can my belief in the God who *created heaven and earth* be shattered if life appears elsewhere. Of course there's life elsewhere. It's not possible that in the entire universe of which we're less than a speck, we're the only sentient beings! I don't know of any monotheistic religion that believes God ONLY created the planet Earth and the life therein.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Feb '06 06:06
    Originally posted by telerion
    Given that the OP picked satellites in our solar system that according to our ideas of abiogenesis possess the building blocks for life as we know it (though unfortunately likely not within an accomodating temperature band), I would think that abiogenesis theorists would be stoked that their ideas were validated by the data. What would be a blow (and a an exciting challenge) to them is if we found life on say Jupiter or Sedna.
    You have a point there. Unfortunatly we are limited only to what we are familiar with. This limitation is huge. Other forms of life that are not based on the building blocks we are theorized to have come from in our minds cannot exist. This is simply because the knowledge of such a life form is so alien to us that we have trouble conceiving of it. Is evolution limited to the building blocks of life that we are only familiar with? That is the question.
  11. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    04 Feb '06 18:06
    You have a point there. Unfortunatly we are limited only to what we are familiar with. This limitation is huge. Other forms of life that are not based on the building blocks we are theorized to have come from in our minds cannot exist. This is simply because the knowledge of such a life form is so alien to us that we have trouble conceiving of it. Is evo ...[text shortened]... on limited to the building blocks of life that we are only familiar with? That is the question.
    I don't know. You're right that we are limited by our ability to conceive other forms of life. If completely different sorts of life were discovered (and we recognized it), scientists of many stripes would be excited as all get out.
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    04 Feb '06 18:46
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Well personally I would hope it would cause such a furor that it would
    bring all religions down around its knees. I think religions cause
    insanity, especially the higher up in the ranks of the orders you go.
    Like you don't see Pat Robertson picking up a gun and killing
    Peruvian Presidents, he just calls for it to be done, just like Bin Laden.
    You think abortion is taking a human life? People all draw on
    something for how to define what is and is not acceptable. I
    think abortion supporters are floating near insanity. We can
    not agree that it is life within a woman, what makes Titan or
    Europe special?
    KJ
  13. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    04 Feb '06 19:08
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    You think abortion is taking a human life? People all draw on
    something for how to define what is and is not acceptable. I
    think abortion supporters are floating near insanity. We can
    not agree that it is life within a woman, what makes Titan or
    Europe special?
    KJ
    I'm pretty sure you don't think terminating human life is unconditionally immoral. I don't want to get into a debate about abortion (been done to death around here), but you and I both know that most of the pro-choice people here accept that the zygote/embryo/fetus is a human life. The main issues are when that human life can be considered a being and when that life should be protected above the wishes/welfare of the mother.

Again, no desire to debate, but I just thought you might be collecting some straw there and figured I'd better speak up lest you had any ideas of making a man out of it.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Feb '06 21:11
    Actually I recall reading in a scientific journal that there is tenable evidence for the existence of bacteria on mars. Formaldehyde a poisonous gas which decays after several hours has been found in Mars' atmosphere. There is only two known natural processes which produce formaldehyde:
    1) From volcanoes (which can be excluded because there is a constant supply of formaldehyde and to achieve this through volcanic processes would require them to be active permanently).

2) From methonegic bacteria which release methane from below the surface of Mars, which is oxidized by iron in the soil and generates formaldehyde.

Of course, life on mars has not been discovered by a probe but there is reasonable evidence for its existence.

Secondly, life on other planets is completely irrelevant to evolution. Evolution is a proven fact. The theory of evolution, however is not. We don't know i life is the product of evolution. But we do know evolution happens. Whether its inception was as the abiogeneticists put it is immaterial to evolutionists.
    Just clearing a few fallacies.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Feb '06 07:30
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    Actually I recall reading in a scientific journal that there is tenable evidence for the existence of bacteria on mars. Formaldehyde a poisonous gas which decays after several hours has been found in Mars' atmosphere. There is only two known natural processes which produce formaldehyde:
    1) From volcanoes (which can be excluded because there is a constant s ...[text shortened]... as the abiogeneticists put it is immaterial to evolutionists.
    Just clearing a few fallacies.
    I don't think the origin of life on earth is outside the realm of the
    theory of evolution. That is a separate study. The theory of
    evolution is about what happened after life already started, how
    did it evolve. They don't even TRY to figure out where life came from.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree