1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Oct '11 23:441 edit
    Originally posted by mikelom
    Do you really believe atheistic points of view are 'COUNTER' to christianity?

It's a case of 'couldn't care less' - not counter.

Where did you get the idea of 'counter' from?

Sounds dramatically defensive to me!

-m. 😉
    Everyone who is not a Christian has ideas which run counter to Christianity by definition. Otherwise, they'd be Christians, wouldn't they?

Of course I am meaning the adverb form of counter. Meaning "contrary".

But you knew this.

😛

(Edit: Of course I know that in "counter argument" counter is an adjective. It still means "contrary, or opposite, or in opposition". I had to supply the disclaimer for the grognards out there, who laughingly call me "ignorant".)
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Oct '11 23:56
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    True, but I was not referring to Moses laws, but to the Commandments
    of God. You know, the ones God wrote in stone with His own finger.
    Christ often referred to them, because they are to be obeyed by all
    men, not just the Jews. Christ meant to write them also in our hearts.
    Christ summed them up with His statements of the love of God and the
    love of man.
    All of God's laws as outlined in the Pentateuch, or the Five Books of Moses, are referred to as Mosaic laws, not because they are "Moses' laws" but because the Pentateuch was written by Moses. This includes the Ten Commandments.

I'm just saying that Christ Himself said that these Mosaic laws are less important than loving God and loving your neighbor. Christ often referred to them because this is what the people He was speaking to knew. They were all Jews, after all.
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 00:16
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    All of God's laws as outlined in the Pentateuch, or the Five Books of Moses, are referred to as Mosaic laws, not because they are "Moses' laws" but because the Pentateuch was written by Moses. This includes the Ten Commandments.

I'm just saying that Christ Himself said that these Mosaic laws are less important than loving God and loving your neighbor. ...[text shortened]... em because this is what the people He was speaking to knew. They were all Jews, after all.
    "I'm just saying that Christ Himself said that these Mosaic laws are less important than loving God and loving your neighbor."

May I say something about that?

Jesus wasn't saying the law of Moses was less important, just that loving God and your neighbor was the summation of the law.

Jesus was always taking the law to the nth degree. For example; the law says not to commit adultery, but Jesus said if you lusted you already did.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 00:34
    The Jews believe the age of the age of accountability is 12 or 13.
    That is when they have there Bat Mitzvah and Bat Mitzvah.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bar_and_Bat_Mitzvah
    So which one is it? Bat Mitzvah or Bat Mitzvah?
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 02:27

I'm just saying that Christ Himself said that these Mosaic laws are less important than loving God and loving your neighbor. ...[text shortened]... em because this is what the people He was speaking to knew. They were all Jews, after all.
    You are still a baby Christian and reading more scripture would be very
    useful for you to gain correct understanding of what Christ said and didn't
    say.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 02:32
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So which one is it? Bat Mitzvah or Bat Mitzvah?
    I'm sorry. It was my typing error. The "bar" is for the boy and "bat" for the
    Girl. Check out the referenced link.
  7. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 03:111 edit
    Everyone who is not a Christian has ideas which run counter to Christianity by definition. Otherwise, they'd be Christians, wouldn't they?

Of course I am meaning the adverb form of counter. Meaning "contrary".

But you knew this.

😛

(Edit: Of course I know that in "counter argument" counter is an adjective. It still means "contrary, or opposit supply the disclaimer for the grognards out there, who laughingly call me "ignorant".)
    Jesus said it best. Those who are not with Him are positioned against Him. Which leads to what He meant by Him bringing not peace but a sword, which leads to Him saying He is here to divide families.

The whole point being, if you are with Jesus, you are all-in. If not, then you stand in opposition to His teachings and therefore are counter to Christianity and oppose Jesus.

It's really simple and absolutely nothing derogatory is meant by it at all.
  8. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 08:23
    Originally posted by sumydid
    Jesus said it best. Those who are not with Him are positioned against Him. Which leads to what He meant by Him bringing not peace but a sword, which leads to Him saying He is here to divide families.

The whole point being, if you are with Jesus, you are all-in. If not, then you stand in opposition to His teachings and therefore are counter to Christian ...[text shortened]... nd oppose Jesus.

It's really simple and absolutely nothing derogatory is meant by it at all.
    The whole point being, if you are with Jesus, you are all-in. If not, then you stand in opposition to His teachings and therefore are counter to Christianity and oppose Jesus.

I don't buy that sumydid. For instance an atheist can live by the example set by Jesus without believing all the 'woo woo' that accompanies it. On the otherside you have Christians such as RJHinds who come out with remarkable statements such as this -

I do not help people because they are poor. I do not believe it is my fault they are poor. So it does not matter to me if a person is rich or poor. I will only help a person if I feel like helping them. I do not believe Jesus requires me to help the poor before He will save me. I believe He will save me because I believe He is the Son of God and He has the power to raise me from the dead. I believe I have to treat other people the way I would like them to treat me. Nothing more than that. The poor should work to earn money so they are not poor. It is not my responsiblity to give them money for nothing. I do not owe anyone anything because they are poor.

Quite a statement isn't it?
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 14:55
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    [b]The whole point being, if you are with Jesus, you are all-in. If not, then you stand in opposition to His teachings and therefore are counter to Christianity and oppose Jesus.

I don't buy that sumydid. For instance an atheist can live by the example set by Jesus without believing all the 'woo woo' that accompanies it. On the otherside y ...[text shortened]... . I do not owe anyone anything because they are poor.[/quote]

Quite a statement isn't it?[/b]
    Do you think I should give money to those who have no money because
    they are too lazy to work for it?
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 15:16
    [b]The whole point being, if you are with Jesus, you are all-in. If not, then you stand in opposition to His teachings and therefore are counter to Christianity and oppose Jesus.

I don't buy that sumydid. For instance an atheist can live by the example set by Jesus without believing all the 'woo woo' that accompanies it. On the otherside y ...[text shortened]... . I do not owe anyone anything because they are poor.[/quote]

Quite a statement isn't it?[/b]
    Please excuse him. He's a conservative. Probably a Republican. That should explain it all. The basis for Republican politics is: If you're poor, it's your own damned fault. And that Government should get their hand out of their pocket. Everything they believe boils down to this. Never mind that most of them also belong to the 99% and that Republicans in office have screwed them over, too.

Edit: RJH is who I meant, not sumydid.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 15:18
    Please, please stop now before everyone starts thinking it's Christians who are stupid and not conservatives.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    22 Oct '11 16:02
    Please, please stop now before everyone starts thinking it's Christians who are stupid and not conservatives.
    You got me figured out pretty good. Hallelu YAH !!!
  13. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    23 Oct '11 11:23
    Poor = lazy?

Nice one Ron.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Oct '11 11:401 edit
    Poor = lazy?

Nice one Ron.
    The evil like to twist peoples words just like their father, Satan.

P.S. Lazy many times equals poor.
  15. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    23 Oct '11 11:46
    The evil like to twist peoples words just like their father, Satan.

P.S. Lazy many times equals poor.
    Is it your serious contention that people are poor just because they are too lazy? Or are you just trolling?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree