1. Joined
    28 Dec '11
    Moves
    12 Mar '12 03:39
    why do they get married? getting married is from the religion - if you don't believe in god don't get married 😉
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Mar '12 03:46
    Originally posted by tim88
    why do they get married? getting married is from the religion - if you don't believe in god don't get married 😉
    Cause they want their "rights". If you took the government perks away then they probably would not even bother on average.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Mar '12 03:52
    The institution of marriage is a stable economic unit in which two people commit to support and provide companionship to each other and, if they choose, to raise children, and offer some financial security to both partners, which is especially crucial for the weaker or more economically vulnerable partner, which in many cultures - and in heterosexual marriages - is often the woman. Most religions condone, endorse and even certify marriages. Same goes for presumably all states/countries, albeit as a civil union rather than a religious one. Divorce brings marriages to an end but does not end all the commitments and responsibilities that were entered into. Some religions do not recognize divorces. Some religions make divorces relatively easy. I think there are plenty of reasons to get married even if one is not religious.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Mar '12 04:00
    Originally posted by whodey
    Cause they want their "rights". If you took the government perks away then they probably would not even bother on average.
    I disagree with you whodey. I think there is far more to marriage than "government perks", both spiritually and in terms of emotional and economic security and stability. I have lived in several places around the world and my work and social life has brought me into contact with many hundreds of people in different cultures and facing different economic conditions. I have seen people marry. I've seen people divorce; including close friends and longstanding friends. I can't think I have ever known anyone - not one single person - who married to obtain "government perks" and who would not have bothered otherwise. To me your "analysis" is a blowhard-rightwing-shock-jock type cartoon caricature which is of little use to a constructive debate.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Mar '12 04:06
    Originally posted by FMF
    I disagree with you whodey. I think there is far more to marriage than "government perks", both spiritually and in terms of emotional and economic security and stability. I have lived in several places around the world and my work and social life has brought me into contact with many hundreds of people in different cultures and facing different economic conditio ...[text shortened]... wing-shock-jock type cartoon caricature which is of little use to a constructive debate.
    Economic security and stability? This comes from the state saying that you are obligated to do such and such for being married. That is a government perk.

As for spiritual and emotional reasons, I will conceed that some will still want to marry but more will most likely opt out. As it stands now, marriage is becoming less and less common as society beomces more secular. My hypothosis is already being proven.
  6. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    12 Mar '12 04:07
    So why did God institute the marriage arrangment?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Mar '12 04:13
    Economic security and stability? This comes from the state saying that you are obligated to do such and such for being married. That is a government perk.
    A government recognizing and enforcing contractual obligations and offering the possibility of recourse if there is injustice between people, contributes to economic security and stability, of course. It is not a "government perk". Is this your main defence of your ultra-cynical stance?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Mar '12 04:151 edit
    Originally posted by galveston75
    So why did God institute the marriage arrangment?
    I think you'll find it is people and cultures and systems of social control and governance - such as, and including, organized religions - that instituted the institution of marriage.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Mar '12 04:184 edits
    As for spiritual and emotional reasons, I will conceed that some will still want to marry but more will most likely opt out. As it stands now, marriage is becoming less and less common as society beomces more secular.
    Marriage in the U.S. is not very common nowadays?

Wiki tells us that 83 percent of Americans identify with a religious denomination, 40 percent state that they attend services nearly every week or more, and 58 percent say that they pray at least weekly. Are these people "secular"? Are these people 'not bothering' to get married before they start families?

Again, according to wiki and the United States Census Bureau, 2,077,000 marriages occurred in the United States in 2009. That's 4,000,000 brides and grooms, and over 8,000,000 families involved [how many families are there in the U.S.? About 30 million?] What evidence do you have that "marriage is becoming less and less common" to a degree that justifies your facile dehumanizing comments about "government perks"? What figures do you have for years such as 2000, 2005, 2011?
  10. Joined
    03 Apr '09
    Moves
    12 Mar '12 04:45
    Well, I don't believe in God. I still plan to marry.

I think the answer to your question depends on what you define as marriage. Having said that, I think marriage is a union between two people that love each other, and that agree to support and help each other through life.

I see nothing, as an atheist, wrong with a union between two people that love each other and support and help each other through life. Whether you're an atheist or not, I don't believe you marry for the love of God...you marry for the love of the person you wish to marry. Thus, I don't see it necessary to believe in God, in order to marry.

FMF above has also laid out some good points.

Bogdan
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Mar '12 04:59
    Economic security and stability? This comes from the state saying that you are obligated to do such and such for being married. That is a government perk
    No. The economic security and stability (and the emotional kind too) comes from the family unit, and from knowing that your spouse is there working at the marriage with you, and perhaps raising children too. It's revealing that you assumed I meant "the state". You're not married are you, whodey? You don't yet understand the economic security and stability that marriage can create.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    12 Mar '12 05:10
    Marriage is not from religion. What on earth gave you that idea?
  13. Joined
    28 Dec '11
    Moves
    12 Mar '12 05:251 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Marriage is not from religion. What on earth gave you that idea?
    yes it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!why do you think you get married from a priest
  14. Joined
    14 May '03
    Moves
    12 Mar '12 06:34
    yes it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!why do you think you get married from a priest
    There was no priest or religious official at my marriage sparky.

Welcome to the modern world where many many people get married with no involvement from religion - have you heard of a civil celebrant?
  15. Joined
    28 Dec '11
    Moves
    12 Mar '12 06:55
    Originally posted by nook7
    There was no priest or religious official at my marriage sparky.

Welcome to the modern world where many many people get married with no involvement from religion - have you heard of a civil celebrant?
    it's all from the bible the old one, not new ones

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree