1. Cape Town
    Moves
    12 Mar '12 07:06
    Originally posted by tim88
    yes it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!why do you think you get married from a priest
    So, because you pray before supper, you think that eating is a religious practice and therefore atheists should not eat?
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    12 Mar '12 07:08
    Originally posted by tim88
    it's all from the bible the old one, not new ones
    What is all from the Bible? Marriage? Are you aware that people get married in non-Christian cultures too? Cultures that had never heard of the Bible still have marriage.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Mar '12 07:111 edit
    Originally posted by nook7
    There was no priest or religious official at my marriage sparky.

Welcome to the modern world where many many people get married with no involvement from religion - have you heard of a civil celebrant?
    My sister got married in a civil service, it was quite interesting, they basically espoused
    all the principles that are written in the Bible although deviod of any reference to God.
    This same thing happened to a Humanist funeral i attended, they went out of their way
    to espouse the same Biblical principles that one can read in scripture only substituting
    nature for God, was kinda weird.
  4. Joined
    14 May '03
    Moves
    12 Mar '12 07:40
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    My sister got married in a civil service, it was quite interesting, they basically espoused
    all the principles that are written in the Bible although deviod of any reference to God.
    This same thing happened to a Humanist funeral i attended, they went out of their way
    to espouse the same Biblical principles that one can read in scripture only substituting
    There are certainly similarities to many Civil Services. Like the bible they have borrowed from what was there & used before them.

In mine we used part of an Apache wedding prayer which has more humanist than spiritual connotations. Not so much nature worshipping as using examples found in nature for context.

If you are used to seeing weddings in a church l am sure it would be a little strange.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Mar '12 08:47
    My sister got married in a civil service, it was quite interesting, they basically espoused all the principles that are written in the Bible although deviod of any reference to God. This same thing happened to a Humanist funeral i attended, they went out of their way to espouse the same Biblical principles that one can read in scripture only substituting nature for God, was kinda weird.
    A humanist might witness the same two ceremonies and ponder how Biblical principles successfully adapted or absorbed common sense humanist principles and how that might in part explain the Bible's success.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    12 Mar '12 09:201 edit
    You only assume that they are 'Biblical principles' because that is all you know.
    If you went to an ancient Chinese, or Korean wedding, you would probably find all the same principles even though they had no contact with the Bible at all.
    The principles that you think are 'Biblical' are in fact simply 'human' or even 'moral' or 'natural'.
    Even some geese have a wedding ceremony, and mate for life.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Mar '12 09:32
    Originally posted by nook7
    There are certainly similarities to many Civil Services. Like the bible they have borrowed from what was there & used before them.

In mine we used part of an Apache wedding prayer which has more humanist than spiritual connotations. Not so much nature worshipping as using examples found in nature for context.

If you are used to seeing weddings in a church l am sure it would be a little strange.
    really?, what were these examples found in nature that you allude to and how were
    they applied? If its too personal or you would rather not say, i dont mind. In a witness
    ceremony Biblical examples are provided to demonstrate certain principles which are
    practical to the marital arrangement. In my own wedding the example of Isaac and
    Rebecca was highlighted to bring to the fore certain admirable qualities worthy of
    cultivation.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Mar '12 09:35
    Originally posted by FMF
    A humanist might witness the same two ceremonies and ponder how Biblical principles successfully adapted or absorbed common sense humanist principles and how that might in part explain the Bible's success.
    well its possibly one way of looking at it, for its only natural that if you catalogue the
    deeds of humans throughout several millennia, human traits will come to the fore.
  9. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Mar '12 09:39
    isnt it odd that churches will marry anybody regardless if they are christians or not.

the dictionary describes it as a legal or religious ceremony. i would guess that a lot of people dont care if its legal or religious and we get married for our own reasons. for me it was because it was important for my partner . now i have kids (ill admit this is a bit illogical) i like the fact they have my surname (it shouldnt matter i know, but it does). so im glad i did it, god wasnt invited. but he got his own back at the honeymoon by having me kicked out of the vatican for wearing shorts, apparently my legs were to sexy for the priests.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Mar '12 09:39
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    You only assume that they are 'Biblical principles' because that is all you know.
    If you went to an ancient Chinese, or Korean wedding, you would probably find all the same principles even though they had no contact with the Bible at all.
    The principles that you think are 'Biblical' are in fact simply 'human' or even 'moral' or 'natural'.
    Even some geese have a wedding ceremony, and mate for life.
    to assume to know what I assume to know is what?
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Mar '12 09:492 edits
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    isnt it odd that churches will marry anybody regardless if they are christians or not.

the dictionary describes it as a legal or religious ceremony. i would guess that a lot of people dont care if its legal or religious and we get married for our own reasons. for me it was because it was important for my partner . now i have kids (ill admit this is a ...[text shortened]... e kicked out of the vatican for wearing shorts, apparently my legs were to sexy for the priests.
    mm i dont think they do, for example i dunno if you can get married in a chapel unless
    your a catholic. I dont see why leaving God from the equation is in any way
    beneficial. Perhaps its merely expedient in the secularist liberal and moral relativist
    society in which we find ourselves. Interesting to not the differences in divorce rates
    for example in one of the most spiritually vibrant although conservative societies,
    India, compared to that of the secular West, where your marraige has a fifty/fifty
    chance of survival.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Mar '12 10:04
    to assume to know what I assume to know is what?
    It is something that underpins hundreds of your own posts, robbie. And others too, here. twhitehead's comment was thoughtful and germane. It would have done you no harm to have fielded it a little less defensively and thrown it back in to the keeper. Dot ball.
  13. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Mar '12 10:09
    mm i dont think they do, for example i dunno if you can get married in a chapel unless
    your a catholic. I dont see why leaving God from the equation is in any way
    beneficial. Perhaps its merely expedient in the secularist liberal and moral relativist
    society in which we find ourselves. Interesting to not the differences in divorce rates
    fo ...[text shortened]... India, compared to that of the
    west, where your marraige has a fifty/fifty chance of survival.
    actually im not sure about the catholic church, i had a look on the church of england website.

the divorce rate in the west is pretty shocking, other than producing lots of unhappy children, does it have an impact on society or is it just a reflection of society?
  14. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    12 Mar '12 10:10
    Try to remember that nature based belief systems came long before Christianity; maybe it wont seem so weird. I was at a humanist wedding ceremony a couple of years ago and it was a really nice ceremony; and weddings in reality are no more than a pledging of monogamy and mutual support in front of the couples chosen community.
  15. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Mar '12 10:36
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    Try to remember that nature based belief systems came long before Christianity; maybe it wont seem so weird. I was at a humanist wedding ceremony a couple of years ago and it was a really nice ceremony; and weddings in reality are no more than a pledging of monogamy and mutual support in front of the couples chosen community.
    except for the mormons, who gather wives like hungry hippos gather white marbles.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree