1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 11:43
    Originally posted by nook7
    l like that KellyJay holds true (from of the posts l have read over the years) to the beliefs that his religion tells him to exhibit.

And l respect him for this.

l do not agree with them , however l respect them.

You on the otherhand are an assclown of the highest order and l fart in your general direction.
    I didn't know you thought so highly of me.
    HalleluYah !!! Praise the :ord!
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 14:05
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    if they have confidence that it is true, then they have a belief. belief requires acceptance, acceptance does not require belief.

it should be noted that the phrase "reasonable belief" is sometimes used synonymously with the concept of acceptance by those who are unwilling to give up the term "belief"

this is a good article on critical rationalism, if you care to understand why belief is not required.
    http://www.iep.utm.edu/cr-ratio/
    Ahh, the old 'argument by homework assignment'.

I have not read it yet - but I note that the word 'belief' or some form of it appears 25 times in that article.
  3. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 17:06
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    You are out to lunch...
    very good guess, i'm having lunch right now.

you believe the universe is how old?

i don't know how old the universe is.

You believe life came from non-life?

i don't know where life came from.

You believe when you walk out to your car it will start
    when you turn the key?

i expect it will start unless it has a mechanical failure.

We are creatures of faith and beliefs, we try to base
    our faith and beliefs on that which we think is solid and true which we don't
    always do in science or religion.
    Kelly

we are creatures of mental illness. there is nothing that is solid or true. what there is is that which we perceive through our senses and instruments and interpret with our brains in the context of our knowledge and experiences.
  4. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 17:09
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Ahh, the old 'argument by homework assignment'.

I have not read it yet - but I note that the word 'belief' or some form of it appears 25 times in that article.
    it's not a homework or argument. it is something that might interest you on the topic. belief does appear in the article since critical rationalism addresses the limitations and weaknesses of belief.

note that the article only gives an overview.
  5. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 17:10
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    How about my informed opinion? Does it have worth?
    if you ever make one, i'll let you know.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 17:40
    very good guess, i'm having lunch right now.

you believe the universe is how old?

i don't know how old the universe is.

You believe life came from non-life?

i don't know where life came from.

You believe when you walk out to your car it will start
    when you turn the key?

i expect it will st ...[text shortened]... d instruments and interpret with our brains in the context of our knowledge and experiences.
    Christ is the way, the truth, and the light.
    HaleluYah !!! Praise the Lord!
    😏
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 19:00
    it's not a homework or argument. it is something that might interest you on the topic. belief does appear in the article since critical rationalism addresses the limitations and weaknesses of belief.

note that the article only gives an overview.
    Do you have an argument in support of your position?
  8. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 23:56
    Do you have an argument in support of your position?
    i've argued the point extensively on this forum in past threads and add to them from time to time.

the argument is that everything we know is transitional. a thousand years from now, humans will be looking back on the technology and knowledge we have now like we look back on the technology and knowledge humans had a thousand years ago.

we will appear as foolish for believing our notions of reality as humans a thousand years ago appear foolish for believing their notions of reality.

belief is an unnecessary component of reality. belief only describes the range of human experiences as they exist in this moment and such experiences are subjective.
  9. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 23:58
    Christ is the way, the [b]truth, and the light.
    HaleluYah !!! Praise the Lord!
    😏[/b]
    a failed savior like jesus christ can't be any of those.
  10. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    12 Jun '12 00:31
    i've argued the point extensively on this forum in past threads and add to them from time to time.

the argument is that everything we know is transitional. a thousand years from now, humans will be looking back on the technology and knowledge we have now like we look back on the technology and knowledge humans had a thousand years ago.

we will appe ...[text shortened]... he range of human experiences as they exist in this moment and such experiences are subjective.
    I would not think someone was foolish for believing something that was supported by the evidence at that time.

But it's definitely a twisted use of the word 'belief' to say 'beliefs are mental illness'. You end up sounding like the crazy person when you say that.

Ultimately, I think it comes down to marketing. 'Dirty' words are replaced by more acceptable variants; Christian 'religion' becomes 'relationship'; American political 'liberal' becomes 'progressive'; Atheist 'belief' (which is dirty because some beliefs are religious in nature, and we can't have any ties to that) becomes 'acceptance*' where * = 'so far'.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Jun '12 03:08

we will appe ...[text shortened]... he range of human experiences as they exist in this moment and such experiences are subjective.
    Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away.
    (matthew 24:35 NKJV)

(Mark 13:31 NKJV)

(Luke 21:33 NKJV)
  12. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    12 Jun '12 04:46
    I would not think someone was foolish for believing something that was supported by the evidence at that time.

But it's definitely a twisted use of the word 'belief' to say 'beliefs are mental illness'. You end up sounding like the crazy person when you say that.

Ultimately, I think it comes down to marketing. 'Dirty' words are replaced by m ...[text shortened]... we can't have any ties to that) becomes 'acceptance*' where * = 'so far'.
    it is not a dirty word, its an observation. beliefs are a mental illness. relabeling it will not change that, it will still be a mental illness under a different name.
  13. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    12 Jun '12 04:46
    (matthew 24:35 NKJV)

(Mark 13:31 NKJV)

(Luke 21:33 NKJV)
    buddhas words haven't passed away either, and they've been around longer.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Jun '12 06:01
    buddhas words haven't passed away either, and they've been around longer.
    What prophecies has the Buddhas made that have come true?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree