1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Jul '16 18:201 edit
    Surely putting down a deluge of rain that would have been something like a cm per minute would have killed all the mosquito's, bees, ants, roaches, termites and such yet we have a full compliment of them and a large genetic diversity also.

I see nothing in Genesis about anything but animals on board the arc.

So why do we have insects now? They could not possibly survive a mile or 2 of water over them, they take in O2 just like we do so they would have drowned no matter how hardy.

There are almost a million species of insects of all kinds, they could never have been carried on the arc.

So why are there insects now if there was a ww flood? Don't try to say they survived on vegetable mats, not a million species.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Jul '16 19:16
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Surely putting down a deluge of rain that would have been something like a cm per minute would have killed all the mosquito's, bees, ants, roaches, termites and such yet we have a full compliment of them and a large genetic diversity also.

I see nothing in Genesis about anything but animals on board the arc.

So why do we have insects now? They could n ...[text shortened]... f there was a ww flood? Don't try to say they survived on vegetable mats, not a million species.
    Never thought about, good question though.
    A quick search provided this for whatever it's worth..

How did insects survive? Think about what happens during a flood. We see HUGE amounts of debris and vegetation (i.e. trees) being torn from the ground and then floating on the surface of the water. Unfortunately, both man and beast sometimes are killed and end up floating too. Can you imagine how much debris and vegetation would have been floating on the surface in a worldwide flood? Sadly, since EVERY land living creature that breathed through the nostrils died as well, there would be thousands (millions?) of bodies on the surface mixed with this debris. (Some may have even survived for a short time floating on debris.) From this would be ample opportunity for insects to live, eat, and breed.

http://jesusalive.cc/ques216.htm
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Jul '16 19:19
    https://answersingenesis.org/noahs-ark/were-insects-on-the-ark/
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Jul '16 19:331 edit
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    A MILLION separate species? How can you buy that? Hundreds of thousands of some, absolutely no way for them to have specieated that far in a few thousand years. There would be very little genetic diversity of ANYTHING animal, insect or human if they were down to a single reproducing pair.

They could never have carried 1 million species of ANYTHING on the arc much less that many insects. How would they have gotten say, Galopagas kimodo dragons or the giant sea turtles?
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Jul '16 20:12
    A MILLION separate species? How can you buy that? Hundreds of thousands of some, absolutely no way for them to have specieated that far in a few thousand years. There would be very little genetic diversity of ANYTHING animal, insect or human if they were down to a single reproducing pair.

They could never have carried 1 million species of ANYTHING on th ...[text shortened]... many insects. How would they have gotten say, Galopagas kimodo dragons or the giant sea turtles?
    I didn't buy anything, I just suggested some possible alternatives. I don't know the answer, but it is not enough to convince me the flood did not happen.
    In fact, since I wholeheartedly believe the bible, nothing will convince me otherwise.
    I just don't happen to know the details of what you are looking for, which is what I believe to be the "smoking gun"?..Good luck..
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Jul '16 21:02
    I didn't buy anything, I just suggested some possible alternatives. I don't know the answer, but it is not enough to convince me the flood did not happen.
    In fact, since I wholeheartedly believe the bible, nothing will convince me otherwise.
    What I find interesting is that you look for naturalistic explanations despite the fact that there is really no getting away from the requirement for miracles. Why didn't you simply say 'God did it'?
    Seriously, there is no naturalistic explanation for Noah being able to coax a pair of lions on to the arc. There is no naturalistic explanation for all that water. And even if there was, that would kind of negate the whole 'God did it' message of the story.
    The fact is that the story does not match up with scientific understanding of the world, nor with history. So why not just accept that it was all a miracle? Why the need to look for possible naturalistic explanations?
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Jul '16 21:15
    I just don't happen to know the details of what you are looking for, which is what I believe to be the "smoking gun"?..Good luck..
    It takes hundreds of thousands of years to go by for genetic variations to appear, new species from old. It just could not get there in a few thousand years. That is flat impossible. That is only one of the reasons why the WW flood is just a myth.

Every culture has a flood tale but not at the same time. Canada was REALLY flooded by the ending of the last ice age and there were lakes in the north west that made the great lakes look like puddles but after about 10,000 years or more, that water drained into what we now call the Ogalala water shed, going through the entire midwest of the US.

The point there is you put a couple of MILES of water on the planet and it will have nowhere to go, not in 1000 years or 10,000 years.

Another reason that story is bogus, it was written as an allegory not fact.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Jul '16 22:10
    Actually we can only speculate as to why it was written.
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    16 Jul '16 23:35
    It takes hundreds of thousands of years to go by for genetic variations to appear, new species from old. It just could not get there in a few thousand years. That is flat impossible. That is only one of the reasons why the WW flood is just a myth.

Every culture has a flood tale but not at the same time. Canada was REALLY flooded by the ending of the last ...[text shortened]... or 10,000 years.

It was written as fact from the perspective of the author.

The flood was the event that caused sea levels to rise 7,000 years ago - the Flandrian Transgression.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Jul '16 04:29
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    It was written as fact from the perspective of the author.

The flood was the event that caused sea levels to rise 7,000 years ago - the Flandrian Transgression.
    Which was a slow rise in sea levels probably un-noticeable by anyone in a single lifetime.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '16 04:40
    Never thought about, good question though.
    A quick search provided this for whatever it's worth.. [...]

http://jesusalive.cc/ques216.htm
    Ah hey presto, you found some explanation to crowbar into your folk tale so that you can subscribe to it, it seems. You "never thought about it", you admit, and yet a quick Google has given you an answer you never thought about before but that you can instantly believe because it suits you. Good for you. 🙂
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '16 04:47
    And sonship found some evidence that there were floods on earth in the olden days and that someone built a boat a long time ago. Now you have apparently sorted out the insects thing. That just leaves the plot about the supernatural being but I can Google it myself. 😉
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    17 Jul '16 16:191 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Actually we can only speculate as to why it was written.
    My speculation is this: Imagine yourself a child in a tribe, sitting by a fire at nightfall. You like the stories the old men like to tell. One of them is about a big flood that happened before any of those present were born. You ask how the animals were saved.

....By the time you are an old man telling that story,the flood in the story is world wide. It is so much fun to see the oohs and aahs of the children.

Eventually, writing developed, and the stories were written. Including this one.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Jul '16 17:17
    Originally posted by JS357
    My speculation is this: Imagine yourself a child in a tribe, sitting by a fire at nightfall. You like the stories the old men like to tell. One of them is about a big flood that happened before any of those present were born. You ask how the animals were saved.

....By the time you are an old man telling that story,the flood in the story is world wide. It i ...[text shortened]... he children.

Eventually, writing developed, and the stories were written. Including this one.
    NO NO that can't be, it's REAL I tell ya🙂
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '16 17:20
    NO NO that can't be, it's REAL I tell ya🙂
    All those children in those tribes sitting by the fires at nightfall are perhaps all witnesses to the veracity of the stories they were told... 😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree