1. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Mar '10 22:33
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Considering a mere hypothetical situation would not change this.
    mmm, yes you are correct, ok, id make day dreaming mandatory.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Mar '10 03:351 edit
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    1. You cant improve on things. They are run as well as can be expected with allowance for free will.
    2.I would punish evil doers only if that evil was done to others and not themselves. Their punishment would be like psychological torture. perhaps bad dreams
    3.No
    4.Everyone would get to heaven, but possibly not in this incarnation. Others would goto purgatory to learn their lessons.No one would goto hell.
    5.heaven,yes. Hell,no
    So, on the one hand, things run as good as they could assuming free will is present. However, you then say that you would only punish evil doers if they harmed others. Also people would all go to heaven eventually. Free will would then consist of nothing more than being properly educated not to choose the wrong path. So really you don't believe things are run as well as could be expected, right?
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Mar '10 03:36
    Originally posted by Badwater
    If I was God, these questions could not possibly apply to my system of creation.
    Explain.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Mar '10 03:37
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I would punish evil doers with my auto-smite capacity. Not all evildoers, though. Maybe just the 10% worst evildoers each year. You have free will to do whatever you want with the knowledge you could be smitten at year's end. In order to make room for free will I would renounce any claim to omniscience.

There would definitely not be either a heaven or a hell. You goal is to do good and live well in this life.
    You didn't write the Old Testament did you? 😛
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Mar '10 03:39
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    That would probably depend on what super powers I had available.
    I think I would certainly cut down on suffering.
    I would probably prevent evil doers from doing evil rather than going for the punishment route. I find punishment the reactive way of solving something, I prefer proactive methods. For example, with children, punishment is a sign of failure ...[text shortened]... off there and stay there. If hell is a horrible place to be, then I wouldn't put anyone there.
    So you would prefer to restrain free will.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Mar '10 03:40
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I would send hindus around to Jws houses🙂
    So you are in favor of sending JW's to hell then?
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Mar '10 03:41
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    I BELIEVE! I BELIEVE!
    OHHHHH, PICK ME! PICK MEEEEE!!!!
    Take a back seat pal, after all, I started this thread.

😠

PICK ME, PICK ME!!
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Mar '10 03:441 edit
    Isn't it interesting how not one Christian has yet given us a pretty picture of what they would do if they were God?
    If there really is a God, I sure hope he's an atheist.
    In addition to what Robbie said, we realize the complexity of the task at hand, assuming free will is the optimal state of creation. In short, anyone can be a back seat driver, however, get him to the stearing wheel and things change quickly.

Have you ever watched Bruce Almighty? Its a good flick and I watched it the other night which gave rise to this thread.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Mar '10 04:59
    Originally posted by whodey
    So you would prefer to restrain free will.
    No, not at all. I do not recall making or implying any such claim.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Mar '10 05:25
    In addition to what Robbie said, we realize the complexity of the task at hand, assuming free will is the optimal state of creation.
    Actually, I suspect you are assuming a lot more than that. You are assuming the current world order which is a whole lot more than just 'free will' is the optimal state of creation. You cannot think of anything better because you know that doing so would be to criticize God. You cannot criticize God because that would be questioning your faith. You cannot question your faith because that might ..... well you know where I'm going.

In short, anyone can be a back seat driver, however, get him to the stearing wheel and things change quickly.
    Quite true. I think the thread is an excellent idea. I would expect nearly every sane human to say that they would create a world with far less suffering and a bit more happiness and love.
    Of course if you actually gave people the opportunity, they might behave quite differently.

Have you ever watched Bruce Almighty? Its a good flick and I watched it the other night which gave rise to this thread.
    Yes I have watched it. However, I must point out that it does not really present the same scenario. It plays the old Biblical trick of telling a story that appears to explain Gods actions - but when you think about it - doesn't.
    It appears to be saying: well if you were God you couldn't do any better, so stop criticizing God. But this simply doesn't work on so many levels that it is worth discussing a few of them - which I think I will in another post.
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    04 Mar '10 05:271 edit
    So, on the one hand, things run as good as they could assuming free will is present. However, you then say that you would only punish evil doers if they harmed others. Also people would all go to heaven eventually. Free will would then consist of nothing more than being properly educated not to choose the wrong path. So really you don't believe things are run as well as could be expected, right?
    Geez Whodey,I thought I would just slip this through...

My answer is a slight contradiction, yes.
    I was trying to get in the spirit of the question and keep it simple.
    Simple like in the outback or the desert where martial law rules and God is god and man is man.
    In short I wouldn't change anything about my life or the planet I live on and I think my answers are a portrayal of that view. Its not that sinple, of course, but then again I didn't have a go at you for your simple questions either🙂
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    04 Mar '10 05:29
    So you are in favor of sending JW's to hell then?
    Since I didn't see a smiley I assume you were serious.
    I dont believe in hell. Jws do a lot of good. But thats are far as my praise goes based on my experience.
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    04 Mar '10 05:30
    If you were God, how would you run things? Would you punish evil doers or would you turn a blind eye? If you did punish evil doers, how would you punish them? Would you erradicate free will? Who would go to heaven and who would go to hell? Would there even be a hearven or hell?
    No Hell, no possibility of doing evil. Pure bliss. Heaven begins at birth, not death.
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    04 Mar '10 05:31
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I would punish evil doers with my auto-smite capacity. Not all evildoers, though. Maybe just the 10% worst evildoers each year. You have free will to do whatever you want with the knowledge you could be smitten at year's end. In order to make room for free will I would renounce any claim to omniscience.

There would definitely not be either a heaven or a hell. You goal is to do good and live well in this life.
    You'd model the universe after whack-a-mole?
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    04 Mar '10 05:32
    Isn't it interesting how not one Christian has yet given us a pretty picture of what they would do if they were God?
    If there really is a God, I sure hope he's an atheist.
    They're too afraid to contradict God. He's wrathful you know.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree