1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 00:08
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Being around a long time has never and should never be a reason to believe in anything.
    True, but if the God of the Bible were real I think it is kind of a requirement, however.
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 00:09
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Healing, I think...Coupling with yours a bit, perhaps an unfailing healer...

Interesting exercise. I just did it as a kind of free-association response.
    The idea of being God boggles my mind. I wonder, if I didn't already have a definition of God, how I would be able to conceive of what God would be like.
  3. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 00:10
    Originally posted by whodey
    And no one professes it to be real that I am aware of.
    So the very fact that people do profess the bible to be real therefore means that it is?
  4. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 00:21
    Originally posted by josephw
    The idea of being God boggles my mind. I wonder, if I didn't already have a definition of God, how I would be able to conceive of what God would be like.
    can you do better?
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 00:28
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    I would like to think I would do exactly as He is doing now. To say otherwise would be foolish, since I don't know all the why's, what, etc.🙂
    Of course, but I have a hidden agenda.
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 00:32
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    No it isn't. You theists trot this out all the time, but you don't realise that what you are saying doesn't either reflect our position, or even make sense.

I'm all for the universe not having existed at no time.

Irrespective, just because you don't like the truth it doesn't mean that you should go around inventing deities to get around the thorny facts.
    But if there was such a being, and you could be him, what would you be like?
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 00:37
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Being around a long time has never and should never be a reason to believe in anything.
    Do you mean that just because the universe has been around for a long time is no reason for believing it?

On the other hand I know what you mean, but the way you said it puzzled me for a moment.
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 00:48
    *Unless you're gay. Or a baby due for a rock bashing. Or the first born. Or Muslim. Or an abortionist. Or a soldier doing what he's told. Or you're black. But apart from that, he loves you.
    Now don't get me wrong, but your logic confounds me.

You don't believe God exists, but you imply he is responsible for what man does.

I don't want to argue about this, but you obviously have an inherent distrust of christians. Maybe I should word it differently.

Consequently, anything a christian posts is met with suspicion.

On the other hand I would generally agree.
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 00:492 edits
    God. What would be your characteristics, nature, attributes, or whatever?

The first thing I can think of is I would be perfect.
    Thor had some pretty cool characteristics; lightning flashing whenever you toss your war hammer is a nice touch. And he was married to a hot giantess! http://www.pantheon.org/articles/t/thor.html

EDIT: Actually he wasn't married to her; he was just nailing her! Sweet!
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 00:51
    So the very fact that people do profess the bible to be real therefore means that it is?
    Of couse not.

But if God is real.....
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 00:57
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Thor had some pretty cool characteristics; lightning flashing whenever you toss your war hammer is a nice touch. And he was married to a hot giantess! http://www.pantheon.org/articles/t/thor.html
    Your post made me think that if I didn't already know God I would probably imagine myself as very flashy indeed. Scaring people with all kinds of shows of power. Total domination.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 00:592 edits
    Your post made me think that if I didn't already know God I would probably imagine myself as very flashy indeed. Scaring people with all kinds of shows of power. Total domination.
    Your imaginary God is lame. If you read the Old Testament, you'd know he was very much into scaring people (burning bushes, killing firstborns, etc. etc.). Plus he's got a whole universe and he worries what a bunch of creatures that are vastly, unimaginably inferior to him are doing and even wants them to praise his greatness! He's a real nut case.
  13. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 00:59
    *Unless you're gay. Or a baby due for a rock bashing. Or the first born. Or Muslim. Or an abortionist. Or a soldier doing what he's told. Or you're black. But apart from that, he loves you.
    You are right because Peter was writing to Christians. Why do you say Black? becasue in Heaven there will be people from every tribe and nation. So the Gospel will reach everyone someday. There are still some people that have never heard of Jesus you know.
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 01:061 edit
    Poseidon's a much better God than Old Testament Monster God, too; he has a golden chariot that can still the sea and a really cool trident. He would screw anything though. http://www.geocities.com/medea19777/poseidon.html
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 01:16
    Of course, I imagine quite a few here wouldn't mind having Shiva's gig:

Shiva is arguably the only really cool god. He sits around in a loincloth, gets stoned and meditates for thousands of years with cobras around his neck.

http://www.roadjunky.com/guide/680/shiva-the-only-really-cool-god

None of that getting crucified crap or putting the sword to Midianite babies for this dude! Maybe he could teach Yahweh how to chill.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree