1. Maryland
    Moves
    28 Jan '10 11:48
    To perpetuate itself and provide for the earthly needs of the clergy, religion depends on taking advantage of the lack of knowledge and fear of the unknown of it's followers. Ethics exist independent of religion, and science has moved forward in spite of religious road blocks. Religion is nothing more than snake oil being sold by the clergy to hopeful victims all to ready to be taken advantage of!
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Jan '10 11:53
    Originally posted by 667joe
    To perpetuate itself and provide for the earthly needs of the clergy, religion depends on taking advantage of the lack of knowledge and fear of the unknown of it's followers. Ethics exist independent of religion, and science has moved forward in spite of religious road blocks. Religion is nothing more than snake oil being sold by the clergy to hopeful victims all to ready to be taken advantage of!
    what about those religions that dont have a clergy?
  3. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    28 Jan '10 13:33
    it seems you do like your snake oil metaphor.

how about you stop generalizing and provide a point.

also it would help if you stop being so biased and actually did some research. religion isn't all bad and atheism isn't all good.
  4. Maryland
    Moves
    28 Jan '10 13:47
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    it seems you do like your snake oil metaphor.

how about you stop generalizing and provide a point.

also it would help if you stop being so biased and actually did some research. religion isn't all bad and atheism isn't all good.
    I havae some snake oil. It will solve all your problems. How much do you want to buy?
  5. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    28 Jan '10 15:481 edit
    I havae some snake oil. It will solve all your problems. How much do you want to buy?
    If you have as many bottles of snake oil as asinine Forum threads you have started, you surely must have quite an iventory.
  6. Maryland
    Moves
    28 Jan '10 18:04
    Originally posted by jaywill
    If you have as many bottles of snake oil as asinine Forum threads you have started, you surely must have quite an iventory.
    I sell it. You buy it.
  7. Maryland
    Moves
    28 Jan '10 19:34
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    what about those religions that dont have a clergy?
    They are no problem as long as they don't have any followers either!
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29 Jan '10 08:57
    They are no problem as long as they don't have any followers either!
    what about the religion of atheism?
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Jan '10 09:09
    I don't think that is a fair characterisation of religion. Not all religions have a clerical order. Not all clerics rely on the alms of a congregation. Some clerics are very self-giving, charitable people. Your rant is nothing more than the usual cliche of religion vs science. History attests to many scientists who were religious and most modern churches acknowledge the complementary role of science for religion. Major examples would be the increasing use of archeology in biblical studies, the rise of the historical-critical method and the acknowledgment of the validity of evolutionary theory. Religion and science are not diametrically opposed.
  10. Maryland
    Moves
    29 Jan '10 12:44
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    what about the religion of atheism?
    Atheism is not a religion.
  11. Maryland
    Moves
    29 Jan '10 12:49
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    I don't think that is a fair characterisation of religion. Not all religions have a clerical order. Not all clerics rely on the alms of a congregation. Some clerics are very self-giving, charitable people. Your rant is nothing more than the usual cliche of religion vs science. History attests to many scientists who were religious and most modern churches ac ...[text shortened]... ent of the validity of evolutionary theory. Religion and science are not diametrically opposed.
    So far, every time religion and science have been in conflict about the nature of the universe (including the Earth), religion has been wrong. Need I say more? Clerics are parasites. Few do enough in the way of good deeds to justify the cost of their upkeep.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Jan '10 12:53
    So far, every time religion and science have been in conflict about the nature of the universe (including the Earth), religion has been wrong. Need I say more? Clerics are parasites. Few do enough in the way of good deeds to justify the cost of their upkeep.
    that's not true Joe, in my wife's country of Pakistan the Catholic church a very active, they provide relief work, hospital care, run schools and provide education, provide places of refuge for those women who are experiencing harassment and because of the nature of the society, they cannot go elsewhere.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Jan '10 12:54
    You are very simplistic and worse than the fundamentalist Christians that have to be contended with on this site.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Jan '10 14:34
    It is true that many people have taken advantage of others ignorance and fear in order to further their own aims. However, those aims have historically included a wide variety of things including religion, political gain, monetary gain etc. Certainly communist dictators which are usually atheist are guilty of using ignorance and fear to their advantage.
    To claim however that all religion is a result of unscrupulous clergy taking advantage of other peoples ignorance and fear is outright wrong, and I am sure that if you thought about the claim for a moment or too, you would agree with me.
  15. Maryland
    Moves
    29 Jan '10 17:28
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    that's not true Joe, in my wife's country of Pakistan the Catholic church a very active, they provide relief work, hospital care, run schools and provide education, provide places of refuge for those women who are experiencing harassment and because of the nature of the society, they cannot go elsewhere.
    Catholics cause more misery than they allieviate because they are against birth control and condoms. Millions are born into brutal poverty and have contracted aids because of the stupidity of the Catholic church.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree