1. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    15 Jan '07 21:18
    that here it is nearing the end of the damn day and no one has mentioned that today is Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. I guess he wasn't pure enough. I guess he didn't believe "just right" or "enough." Oh yea, he did time in jail too. I can't find any TV preachers today that did time in jail. Well, Jim Bakker, but he deserved it.

Share your thoughts about Dr. King. Why is he important today?
  2. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    15 Jan '07 21:20
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    that here it is nearing the end of the damn day and no one has mentioned that today is Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. I guess he wasn't pure enough. I guess he didn't believe "just right" or "enough." Oh yea, he did time in jail too. I can't find any TV preachers today that did time in jail. Well, Jim Bakker, but he deserved it.

Remember, there's a few of us here who aren't American.
    When was the last time your remembered Australia Day, Anzac Day or any one of hundreds of others from around the world?

This is not to belittle MLK or his contribution to the world of course ...
  3. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    15 Jan '07 21:36
    Originally posted by amannion
    Remember, there's a few of us here who aren't American.
    When was the last time your remembered Australia Day, Anzac Day or any one of hundreds of others from around the world?

This is not to belittle MLK or his contribution to the world of course ...
    Please educate me. What is Australia and Anzac Day? I am here to learn.
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    15 Jan '07 21:38

To give gov't workers and university faculty/students a day off.
  5. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    15 Jan '07 21:39
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    To give gov't workers and university faculty/students a day off.
    Plus the niggaz don't get any bills cuz the mail ain't delivered.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Jan '07 22:503 edits

Ah, yes. Dr. King was an inspiration to the world. He gave us protest and struggle against blatant injustice without physical violence and won!!! I think both he and men like Ghandi followed the examples of Christ and his nonviolent struggles for their inspiration. The only question is, why can't the the rest of the world get a clue? Both Ghandi and Dr. King were successful in their nonviolent struggles yet few seem to think it "dueable". In fact, the more martyres guned down or nailed to a cross without violent retaliation the stronger such movements seems to have become. The ways of God are truly miraculous.

Edit: May Dr. King rest in peace for a job well done.
  7. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    16 Jan '07 00:35
    Originally posted by whodey
    Ah, yes. Dr. King was an inspiration to the world. He gave us protest and struggle against blatant injustice without physical violence and won!!! I think both he and men like Ghandi followed the examples of Christ and his nonviolent struggles for their inspiration. The only question is, why can't the the rest of the world get a clue? Both Ghandi and Dr. ...[text shortened]... e ways of God are truly miraculous.

Edit: May Dr. King rest in peace for a job well done.
    I will list a few leaders who seem to have had a quality that was needed for their ailing country. You have already mentioned Ghandi.
    Obviously Desmond Tutu and Nelson Mandela of SA. Corizon Aquino of the Philipines. Walensa of Poland.
  8. Standard memberreader1107
    petting the cat
    On Clique Beach
    Moves
    16 Jan '07 00:53

Well, RR, I didn't mention it because I spent the day at school teaching, and I spent 45 minutes explaining this to my third graders. Sorry you missed it, but it was a great class!
  9. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    16 Jan '07 01:031 edit
    Originally posted by reader1107
    Well, RR, I didn't mention it because I spent the day at school teaching, and I spent 45 minutes explaining this to my third graders. Sorry you missed it, but it was a great class!
    You mean they had school?! In Kentucky, the NAACP went to court some time ago to make sure all school systems in the state had the day off to stay home and look at Oprah.

Did you mention what a great man he was inspite of his womanizing?
  10. Standard memberreader1107
    petting the cat
    On Clique Beach
    Moves
    16 Jan '07 01:181 edit
    You mean they had school?! In Kentucky, the NAACP went to court some time ago to make sure all school systems in the state had the day off to stay home and look at Oprah.

Yes, we had school. I don't discuss womanizing with third graders. That's 4th grade. 😉 I read them http://tinyurl.com/yh7eve (no, I didn't read a link address to them) and we discussed a number of things including the Montgomery bus boycott, the dogs and firehoses, Whites Only, Nation of Islam, parents passing on racial hatred to children, the role of the media, other forms of prejudice, personal experiences, and a number of other things. This is not a one-day topic, and we have discussed these things throughout the year. I live in a very insular small town, and so there are some subjects I teach as if it's the only year they'll hear these things. There is another teacher from "the real world" too, so there's a chance they'll hear some of these things again.
  11. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    16 Jan '07 01:28

its the women's fault for being womanized, and is it a bad thing that women liked him?
  12. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    16 Jan '07 01:30
    Yes, we had school. I don't discuss womanizing with third graders. That's 4th grade. 😉 I read them http://tinyurl.com/yh7eve (no, I didn't read a link address to them) and we discussed a number of things including the Montgomery bus boycott, the dogs and firehoses, Whites Only, Nation of Islam, parents passing on racial hatred to children, the role of ...[text shortened]... from "the real world" too, so there's a chance they'll hear some of these things again.
    Yo, what about me? I could come and talk about what it means to be a black man in the world today. My clan, the BWA, is an excellent role model of going from the back of the bus to page one. And we don't discriminate as we allow white womens in our clan. YOu can PM me and I'll come talk to the chillins.

I'm workin on a special BWA tee shirt that will kick ass.....uh never mind. It's a real solid design.
  13. Standard memberreader1107
    petting the cat
    On Clique Beach
    Moves
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    its the women's fault for being womanized, (snip)
    Please tell me you are joking, right?
  14. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    its the women's fault for being womanized, and is it a bad thing that women liked him?
    How can that be bad?
  15. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    16 Jan '07 01:31
    Please tell me you are joking, right?
    Cleaerly King's message hasn't taken root everywhere. Share that wit the chillins.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree