1. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    20 Jun '08 04:08
    any way you look at it, god created it, it just happened, or its always been; they all point to the same conclusion, our present day. how is it possible that out of nothing, we got something? how is it possible for god to exist and create everything? and how is it possible that everything has just existed forever? this was just a thought but doesn't it seem as though somewhere down the line, something impossible happened? i feel like i shouldn't even be alive here today because none of these theories even seem possible, although i accept the big bang theory before any of the others.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Jun '08 06:14
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    any way you look at it, god created it, it just happened, or its always been; they all point to the same conclusion, our present day. how is it possible that out of nothing, we got something? how is it possible for god to exist and create everything? and how is it possible that everything has just existed forever? this was just a thought but doesn't it ...[text shortened]... e theories even seem possible, although i accept the big bang theory before any of the others.
    There are much bigger questions too. Like:
    1. What does 'forever' mean? ie is time infinite or finite? did time have a beginning? Was that beginning at the big bang or before?
    2. What defines what is 'possible' or 'impossible'? You are making judgements based on the rules of the known universe yet those rules may be confined to only a subset of reality.
    3. Is there more to reality than the observable universe and if there is but we can never know about it, does it really exist?
  3. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    20 Jun '08 06:17
    any way you look at it, god created it, it just happened, or its always been; they all point to the same conclusion, our present day. how is it possible that out of nothing, we got something? how is it possible for god to exist and create everything? and how is it possible that everything has just existed forever? this was just a thought but doesn't it ...[text shortened]... e theories even seem possible, although i accept the big bang theory before any of the others.
    It does seem that way to us - that is, something impossible has happened.
    And yet,to someone alive 1000 years ago, traveling to the moon, creating a computer, or using a mobile phone may well seem impossible too.
    Simply because we can't conceive of an answer to a question, without utilising the impossible, doesn't mean that therefore the impossible happened.
    It may have, but it may be that we're just not there yet in our understanding ...
  4. England
    Moves
    20 Jun '08 09:13
    possible that out of nothing, we got something? how ? i feel like i shouldn't even be alive here today because, although i accept the big bang theory before any of the others.[/b]
    yes your parents are possible big bang theory goes on and on
  5. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    20 Jun '08 09:482 edits
    any way you look at it, god created it...
    Assuming that the universe hasn’t always existed, what draws you to the conclusion that “any way you look at it, god created it…” ?

The “any way you look at it …” part of your comment implies that you have thought of it using a number of lines of reason and each one of these lines of reason led you to the conclusion that ‘god’ created it. Can you give us a specific example of one of these lines of reasoning that led you to the conclusion that ‘god’ created it?
  6. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    20 Jun '08 09:534 edits
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    Assuming that the universe hasn’t always existed, what draws you to the conclusion that [b]“any way you look at it, god created it…” ?

The “any way you look at it …” part of your comment implies that you have thought of it using a number of lines of reason and each one of these lines of reason led you to the conclusion that ‘god’ cr ...[text shortened]... example of one of these lines of reasoning that led you to the conclusion that ‘god’ created it?[/b]
    Sorry! I think I may have misinterpreted what you said. 😛
    Did you mean “any way you look at it, god created it, OR it just happened (i.e. it just came to existence without any god), or its always been; …”?
    Or did you mean: “any way you look at it, god created it, it just happened that way (i.e. it just happened god created it), or its always been; …”?
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Jun '08 11:13
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    Sorry! I think I may have misinterpreted what you said. 😛
    Did you mean .....
    I think he meant:
    any way you look at it:
    1. god created it
    or
    2. it just happened
    or
    3. its always been
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    20 Jun '08 11:29
    Where did the matter come from for the big bang?
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    20 Jun '08 11:35
    Originally posted by josephw
    Science doesn't have the answer - yet.
    Where did god come from? Religion has not the answer - ever.

Two questions, so alike, yet different answers.
    One lacking scientific answer doesn't get religion right.
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    20 Jun '08 11:56
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Science doesn't have the answer - yet.
    Where did god come from? Religion has not the answer - ever.

Two questions, so alike, yet different answers.
    One lacking scientific answer doesn't get religion right.
    Where did God come from? God didn't come from anywhere. God is eternal. God has always been. We don't need science to tell us that.

Religion is for the one that needs a crutch. What we need is a relationship. The relationship we need with God is on God's terms. Religion seeks to establish that relationship based on man's terms.

Can you see the difference?
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    20 Jun '08 12:15
    Where did God come from? God didn't come from anywhere. God is eternal. God has always been. We don't need science to tell us that.

Religion is for the one that needs a crutch. What we need is a relationship. The relationship we need with God is on God's terms. Religion seeks to establish that relationship based on man's terms.

Can you see the difference?
    What I see is a bunch of speculations. And that is the difference.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Jun '08 12:31
    Of course your secret decoder ring told you that. Odd that you think that God would tell you the truth is he was in fact the youngest son of Jupiter.

What is also odd is that if someone told you that the universe didn't come from anywhere you would not accept that as a reasonable answer.
  13. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    20 Jun '08 14:515 edits
    A better question would be:

“Where did the energy come from for the big bang?”

That is because according to the big bang theory, at first there was no mater! But, there was energy and that energy was then later converted to mater in a way consistent with the equation E = mc^2.
    So at least where the mater came from is explained but where the energy came from to make that mater is much less obvious.

I often wonder if the scientists have got it all wrong about the big bang (especially inflation theory). It must be possible that they got it all wrong! But, even if they have got it wrong, to say ‘god created the universe’ (I am not implying that that is what you would say) doesn’t explain anything. If the “explanation” for the existence for the universe is a god, then what is the “explanation” for the existence of that god? You would just be swapping one mystery with another.
  14. At the Revolution
    Moves
    20 Jun '08 14:59
    Your proof that the Bible is true seems to be that the Bible is true. Basic flaw in reasoning, and, if it makes you feel better, not entirely uncommon.
  15. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    20 Jun '08 15:22
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I think he meant:
    any way you look at it:
    1. god created it
    or
    2. it just happened
    or
    3. its always been
    If that is true then I humbly apologise to EcstremeVenom. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree