1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    20 Jun '08 21:47
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    You should read Kierkegaard too.
    I had some brief exposure to Kierkegaard in the distant past. I don't recall what his thing was about, so I can't comment.
  2. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    20 Jun '08 21:47
    Originally posted by josephw
    What is odd is that you would say I think God is the youngest son of Jupiter! Weird idea!
    I dislike flexibility of interpretation being dismissed as secret decoder ring theory. Never take the letter over the spirit.
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    20 Jun '08 21:49
    I had some brief exposure to Kierkegaard in the distant past. I don't recall what his thing was about, so I can't comment.
    Google up 'Fear and Trembling'. It'll edify you. Take a break from this place to read it; you'll encounter an adamantine mind.
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    20 Jun '08 22:17
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Google up 'Fear and Trembling'. It'll edify you. Take a break from this place to read it; you'll encounter an adamantine mind.
    I will.

Does it have anything to do with 'fear and trembling in Los Vegas'? 😉
  5. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    20 Jun '08 22:281 edit
    I will.

Does it have anything to do with 'fear and trembling in Los Vegas'? 😉
    Of course it does.

Here's a link:
    http://www.sorenkierkegaard.org/texts/text6a.htm
  6. weedhopper
    Moves
    21 Jun '08 16:241 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    There are much bigger questions too. Like:
    1. What does 'forever' mean? ie is time infinite or finite? did time have a beginning? Was that beginning at the big bang or before?
    2. What defines what is 'possible' or 'impossible'? You are making judgements based on the rules of the known universe yet those rules may be confined to only a subset of reality. ...[text shortened]... observable universe and if there is but we can never know about it, does it really exist?
    I've been told (by Carl Sagan's 'Cosmos'😉 that the answer to your question #3 would be yes, there IS more, but if we can never know about it, it is unimportant. I admit, this is an extrapolation of Mr. Sagan's words. What he actually said (which I disagree with heartily) is that whatever happened before the Big Bang is of no consequence or concern to us. By that, I take it he didn't care if time is infinite (which it is) and/or he wasn't much of a scientist, not to want to investigate EVERYTHING, even what went on prior to this naked singularity he worshipped so.
  7. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    22 Jun '08 00:282 edits
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    I've been told (by Carl Sagan's 'Cosmos'😉 that the answer to your question #3 would be yes, there IS more, but if we can never know about it, it is unimportant. I admit, this is an extrapolation of Mr. Sagan's words. What he actually said (which I disagree with heartily) is that whatever happened before the Big Bang is of no consequence or conc vestigate EVERYTHING, even what went on prior to this naked singularity he worshipped so.
    I believe that what Dr Sagan would have been alluding to is that no information could have been transmitted through the Big Bang singularity, anything which happenned before could have no consequence for the development of our universe.

Nobody "worships" the Big Bang. Quit with trying to make false stereotypes of people.
  8. weedhopper
    Moves
    22 Jun '08 07:06
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    I believe that what Dr Sagan would have been alluding to is that no information could have been transmitted through the Big Bang singularity, anything which happenned before could have no consequence for the development of our universe.

Nobody "worships" the Big Bang. Quit with trying to make false stereotypes of people.
    Aww, Man!! We were getting along so well, scotti. You had made good points, and I had acknowledged them, etc. And now you gotta go and get smartmouthed and uppity.
    First: It was hyperbole--you know thatstuff Ann Coulter, and that crazy Senator who challenged Chris Matthews to a duel, love to throw out in their missives? The man was in awe of the Big Bang--I am sure he said he was in awe of its power. THAT is what I meant. Heck, I don't know [i]what [i/] the man's beliefs were.
    Second: Unless one is under the age of 18, and happens to be one of your offspring, you have no authority to tell them to "Quit" doing something. More precisely,you do not tell ME to quit doing ANYthing.
    Third: How do YOU know? There could be a guy out there who wants to build a church and have the Big Bang as the centerpiece. Maybe he believes we owe everything to the big bang and owe it something in return. Maybe, he needs to start a church of ANY kind, to start a non-profit org, and the BB is as good a god as any for him to pick? Just how do you know that NO ONE, anywhere, ever, worshipped/worships the BB? 😀
  9. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    22 Jun '08 07:11
    Aww, Man!! We were getting along so well, scotti. You had made good points, and I had acknowledged them, etc. And now you gotta go and get smartmouthed and uppity.
    First: It was hyperbole--you know thatstuff Ann Coulter, and that crazy Senator who challenged Chris Matthews to a duel, love to throw out in their missives? The man was in awe of the ...[text shortened]... to pick? Just how do you know that NO ONE, anywhere, ever, worshipped/worships the BB? 😀
    One; hyperbole. Fine, but sarcasm doesn't transmit well through a written media. A winking smiley or similar would have made this clearer.

Two; I absolutely DO have the right to tell you anything I please. You also have the right to ignore me, should you choose to.

Three; Of course, someone theoretically could worship the Big Bang, I'm sure people worship even dumber things, in fact, I KNOW thats true.... It just doesn't make any kind of sense however.
  10. weedhopper
    Moves
    22 Jun '08 07:261 edit
    One; hyperbole. Fine, but sarcasm doesn't transmit well through a written media. A winking smiley or similar would have made this clearer.

Two; I absolutely DO have the right to tell you anything I please. You also have the right to ignore me, should you choose to.

Three; Of course, someone theoretically could worship the Big Bang, I'm sure pe ...[text shortened]... umber things, in fact, I KNOW thats true.... It just doesn't make any kind of sense however.
    It makes YOU wrong. You said "Nobody worships the big bang."

And no, you have the right to say anything as long as you are not impressing upon someone an act they do not wish to do. You cannot say to someone "take that hat off" or "stop speaking French" or "Quit making stereotypes."
  11. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    22 Jun '08 07:48
    It makes YOU wrong. You said "Nobody worships the big bang."

And no, you have the right to say anything as long as you are not impressing upon someone an act they do not wish to do. You cannot say to someone "take that hat off" or "stop speaking French" or "Quit making stereotypes."
    Okay, how about a qualifier? No sensible person worships the Big Bang.

And actually yes, I have a perfect right to say anything I want to anyone. It's called freedom of speech. You have the right to ignore me, you have the right to shout and scream and go nuts about it, but I absolutely DO have the right to say what I want. I just don't have any right to enforce it. I will not be censured by you.
  12. weedhopper
    Moves
    22 Jun '08 22:52
    Okay, how about a qualifier? No sensible person worships the Big Bang.

And actually yes, I have a perfect right to say anything I want to anyone. It's called freedom of speech. You have the right to ignore me, you have the right to shout and scream and go nuts about it, but I absolutely DO have the right to say what I want. I just don't have any right to enforce it. I will not be censured by you.
    You have just been censured. {click}
  13. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    22 Jun '08 23:03
    You have just been censured. {click}
    No. I haven't. I can continue to say what I want to. If you want to be petty and go off in a huff, that's your right, I suppose.
  14. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    22 Jun '08 23:17
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    [b]“…you will be free to look at faith as a way of knowing …”

Faith is not “a way of knowing” as you put it. Faith is delusional belief without premise and therefore an unreliable source of ‘knowledge’ to say the least. You cannot “know” anything with faith.

“…rather than relying on your intellect”

So are you actually saying we s ...[text shortened]... re all evidence?
    That is just stupid. Not using your intellect is, by definition, being stupid.[/b]
    Faith is not “a way of knowing” as you put it. Faith is delusional belief without premise and therefore an unreliable source of ‘knowledge’ to say the least. You cannot “know” anything with faith.--hamilton---------------------------------------------

On what premise do you hold such a belief?
  15. weedhopper
    Moves
    23 Jun '08 00:34
    No. I haven't. I can continue to say what I want to. If you want to be petty and go off in a huff, that's your right, I suppose.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree