1. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Jul '08 06:53
    Originally posted by SmoothCowboy
    If you want it removed vote that way. If not,vote the other way. That is how it is supposed to work isn't it?
    No, its not that simple. I doubt that any country in the world holds a vote over what is put on the money.

Most democracies reserve country wide voting to choosing the key figures in government, including which party controls the government. Smaller issues are rarely hardly via a vote, and when they are it is usually a vote amongst representatives.

In this particular case it probably would require a court case to prove it was unconstitutional, or simply political pressure to get the govt to remove it.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Jul '08 06:54
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    As a Christian I want all people to go to church, since I'm not likey
    going to get what I want, why should you?
    Kelly
    You sound like a child. "I cant have what I want, so I wont let you have anything either".
    Or did you mean "I am incapable of achieving my goals so we should all give up since we cant do anything."

Or did I misunderstand you?
  3. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    01 Jul '08 07:00
    Originally posted by 667joe
    As an atheist I want the "IN GOD WE TRUST" motto removed from our money. Our money should not reflect any religious view at all. To my theist friends, how would you feel if our money promoted atheism? If our money does not promote theism or atheism, perhaps we can all be happy!
    As a theist, I want the words IN GOD WE TRUST removed from our coins and currency. It has no place there.
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    01 Jul '08 07:20
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    dont you think if we traded only goods and services instead of useless paper that our world would prosper more? nobody would own anything useless.
    we tried that. it became obvious that bringing an ox to market to buy a loaf of bread was inconvenient.
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    01 Jul '08 07:23
    Originally posted by Badwater
    As a theist, I want the words IN GOD WE TRUST removed from our coins and currency. It has no place there.
    and yes, i want them removed too.

not only it discriminates against atheist, but some muslims or some hindus might object as well. why not write "in allah we trust". or "in brahma, vishnu, shiva we trust"
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    01 Jul '08 10:02
    If you want it removed vote that way. If not,vote the other way. That is how it is supposed to work isn't it?

It does promote theism. Wonder what they had in mind when they did that? I suppose this kind of influence did help shape a healthy nation.(I am not for state endorsed religion btw.)
    The motto had absolutely nothing to do with the shaping of a healthy nation. We became a healthy nation entirely without it, as the motto didn't first appear until 1864. The nation did just fine for its first 180 years without the motto on its currency. I fail to see how the adoption of a divisive motto, which disenfranchises a significant minority of its population, makes for a healthy nation.
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    01 Jul '08 11:05
    Originally posted by rwingett
    The motto had absolutely nothing to do with the shaping of a healthy nation. We became a healthy nation entirely without it, as the motto didn't first appear until 1864. The nation did just fine for its first 180 years without the motto on its currency. I fail to see how the adoption of a divisive motto, which disenfranchises a significant minority of its population, makes for a healthy nation.
    "all my life i have been searching for god. and he was right in my pocket." i fail to see any benefit of having the God belief shouted on every dollar.

and on a side note and this is totally ironic as i am sure the person with the "in god we trust" idea was christian. jesus preached humility and forsaking earthly possessions. and where do we choose to put our statement of faith? on the money Jesus told us: "it would be better if you don't make them your life goal". i find this hilarious and scary as to how americans can allow stupid people into positions of power.
  8. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    01 Jul '08 11:18

It does promote theism. Wonder what they had in mind when they did that? I suppose this kind of influence did help shape a healthy nation.(I am not for state endorsed religion btw.)

So this is how it is supposed to work, is it? That a country that has separation of church and state as one of its core commitments is supposed to entertain votes about whether or not to put such a motto on its currency?

I guess I don't really care too much, but the motto is rather ridiculous and should be scrapped. I mean, "In God we trust"? Is it possible to have a sillier motto? 🙄

It does promote theism. Wonder what they had in mind when they did that? I suppose this kind of influence did help shape a healthy nation.

Somehow I doubt the motto has had much to do with shaping a healthy nation. Basically, we initially slapped it on some coinage in attempt to remind everyone that we aren't just some "heathen nation" -- and this was of course at a time when our country wasn't exactly the model of unity and peace. Later we slapped it on our paper money and made it the national motto when we wanted to appear to distance ourselves from the commis. I also doubt it has had much to do with "promoting theism" per se. The religious nutters who want the motto on our money get to sit and admire the situation; then there's a bunch who don't much give a fig about it; then there's the group who are generally offended by the motto. How is that any sort of real recipe for promoting theism?
  9. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    01 Jul '08 12:59
    As an atheist I want the "IN GOD WE TRUST" motto removed from our money. Our money should not reflect any religious view at all. To my theist friends, how would you feel if our money promoted atheism? If our money does not promote theism or atheism, perhaps we can all be happy!
    I'll pm you my address, and you can mail me all of your unwanted currency...just trying to be helpful
  10. Maryland
    Moves
    01 Jul '08 15:33
    The Dollar was worth a lot more before "In God We Trust " was printed on it.
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    01 Jul '08 15:581 edit
    Originally posted by duecer
    I'll pm you my address, and you can mail me all of your unwanted currency...just trying to be helpful
    Want to help? Then remove the offending phrase and send the money back to him.

To put the word God on money is an insult to religion. The love of money is the root of all evil. The phrase should be removed.
  12. Maryland
    Moves
    02 Jul '08 02:17
    I could live with "IN GOOD WE TRUST"
  13. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    02 Jul '08 02:24
    I could live with "IN GOOD WE TRUST"
    In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    04 Jul '08 15:32
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    [b]If you want it removed vote that way. If not,vote the other way. That is how it is supposed to work isn't it?

So this is how it is supposed to work, is it? That a country that has separation of church and state as one of its core commitments is supposed to entertain votes about whether or not to put such a motto on its currency?

I guess I ...[text shortened]... y offended by the motto. How is that any sort of real recipe for promoting theism?[/b]
    I'm not sure the USA "has separation of church and state as one of its core commitments". Why do you think this?
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    04 Jul '08 15:32
    The Dollar was worth a lot more before "In God We Trust " was printed on it.
    I'd rec this if I could 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree